Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
800 + miles both ways each summer. Between my 2 homes. Durham NC and Ottawa Ontario. I head up mid summer to catch the Ferrari week-end that they have there and have dinner with old friends. Not that they are old or anything but I helped start this event many, many years ago and still have a blast there.. Nice trip once you get past Harrisburg PA and the traffic thins out. Car is a dream in the mountains...well hills of NY and PA.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi JPL.

A nice drive, time spent with good friends over a meal and watching nice cars! You wouldn't be dead for quids as the old saying goes.

I just had to look up more on that saying being a school teacher:

Quids: A small lump of tobacco or 240 old pennies!)

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
My Dad lives in Perth Western Australia. From my home to his is close to 5 days drive at 500 miles per day at 62 mph I believe @ US translation, and with not to much to see along the way! It has a 90 mile straight section of road I believe, so could get some sleep with a brick on the gas peddle and a strap to hold the wheel straight!. Might need to also carry a Jerry, some excellent music, and sun screen just to get get there!! - maby the wife will have to pack some thongs to save weight (LOL). Would be a hell of a trip, wonder if it would make it back!!! I might end up solo on return leg!!

Cheers Mate,
Jeff
Yeah, I hear ya. When I do the cross Canada drive, it's five days each way, near 1,000km per day. And as noted previously, I'm doing it again this summer (because I'm a driving idiot...well, an idiot that loves to drive his Spider). I did it the first time summer of 2014 with my 2013 500 Abarth, then with my current Spider Abarth summer of 2018. But, both prior times, it was solo. If I was bored, I lsited to audio books. Sometimes to sat radio. But mostly, just to the sound of the car itself, which I hate to admit I'm quite fond of. That said, there is no way my wife would put up with that kind of schedule or the fact that I only take washroom breaks when I need to fill the tank. So the plan this year is that she'll fly out a week after I leave Calgary. I'll pick her up from the airport, then spend a week driving around the Martimes together. Short runs, lots of scenery, lots of stops. Not my typical drive. Then I'll toss her back on a plane, and meet her back home a week afterwards.

If I were driving through the center of Australia, along with the straight stretches, I think I might also be concerned about road trains. Or is that more of a north-western consideration? I've seen documentaries about them, and think I'd be terrified to share the road with one. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya. When I do the cross Canada drive, it's five days each way, near 1,000km per day. And as noted previously, I'm doing it again this summer (because I'm a driving idiot...well, an idiot that loves to drive his Spider). I did it the first time summer of 2014 with my 2013 500 Abarth, then with my current Spider Abarth summer of 2018, and again this year. But, both prior times, it was solo. If I was bored, I lsited to audio books. Sometimes to sat radio. But mostly, just to the sound of the car itself, which I hate to admit I'm quite fond of. That said, there is no way my wife would put up with that kind of schedule. So the plan this year is that she'll fly out a week after I leave Calgary. I'll pick her up from the airport, then spend a week driving around the Martimes together. Short runs, lots of scenery, lots of stops. Not my typical drive. Then I'll toss her back on a plane, and meet her back home a week afterwards.

If I were driving through the center of Australia, along with the straight stretches, I think I might also be concerned about road trains. Or is that more of a north-western issue? I've seen documentaries about them, and think I'd be terrified to share the road with one. :)
I like to drive with the radio etc off most of the time also. You could well run into the odd road train (see images below) on the more remote black stuff Sydney to Perth, but they are more common on the well graded dirt tracks in the real outback from my experience! When on the dirt and they are coming your way its best to pull over as wide as possible (stones and dust are going everywhere) and let them past. If your catch one on the dirt its best to pull over and let them get way ahead of you because its to dangerous to pass, you can't see a thing due to the dust, stones are flying at you (smashed window a real option) and the rear trailer can be swinging across the track one car wide from left to right! (scary stuff). On the black stuff in the real outback the road is sometimes only one lane wide total so you need to pull over to the side sholder (dirt) and they get the whole road if their coming at you. On black stuff dual carriage ways a good hand held UHF radio comes in handy. Ch 40 their on, and you can talk and they can help you overtake, but all care no responsibility rules apply! - again scary stuff especially if their is a bit of wind about and you still need to watch their rear trailer sliding all over the road! Guess what - they don't stop for roos!
Cheers,
Jeff
1579927321226.png 1579927394624.png

·
Registered
4 Posts
My longest trip to date was Cleveland, Tennessee to Austin, Texas last November for the F1 GP. Wonderful ride and surprisingly comfortable. Left on Friday returned on Monday with a 1000 miles each way. I’ll do it again next November.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very nice. The thought of doing that occurred to me when we visited (too briefly) your wonderful country three years ago. Our North Island stops included (of course) Auckland, Bay of Islands, and Rotorua. Some nice driving on the South Island as well. Cheers!
OMG... what a drive the north island tour was. What driving, the car was epic for those winding roads. Hopefully I can attach some touring photos to this post.

Lessons learnt. Lots of sun block is essential but messes with cars black interior. Have sun cover for the steering wheel. Wife's long hair was happier in a scarf. In car storage was a bugbear, 90kph was the optimal "plodding" speed, cracking door window up an inch cut down wind roars to healthy decibel levels and who knew the passenger footwell was shorter than the drivers?
All that said though, I absolutely loved every minute of it... even the rain days.
20200124_110258.jpg
20200123_112757.jpg
20200123_110809.jpg
20200120_203239.jpg
20200120_091613.jpg

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yeah, I hear ya. When I do the cross Canada drive, it's five days each way, near 1,000km per day. And as noted previously, I'm doing it again this summer (because I'm a driving idiot...well, an idiot that loves to drive his Spider). I did it the first time summer of 2014 with my 2013 500 Abarth, then with my current Spider Abarth summer of 2018. But, both prior times, it was solo. If I was bored, I lsited to audio books. Sometimes to sat radio. But mostly, just to the sound of the car itself, which I hate to admit I'm quite fond of. That said, there is no way my wife would put up with that kind of schedule or the fact that I only take washroom breaks when I need to fill the tank. So the plan this year is that she'll fly out a week after I leave Calgary. I'll pick her up from the airport, then spend a week driving around the Martimes together. Short runs, lots of scenery, lots of stops. Not my typical drive. Then I'll toss her back on a plane, and meet her back home a week afterwards.
Do you drive the Trans-Canada most of the way? I can see us providing some shock value driving as a mini convoy but imagine my mini-crossing is hundreds of kilometers south of yours.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts