Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bronze 6UL 17x9 with 255/35/17 Tires
Our RACE Spec Springs (Prototype, Coming to Site in 30 days), Rates 300 Front, 200 Rear
Koni SPORT Adjustable Shocks

Looks Amazing, Sticks the Corners!
Excited to Autocross this combo soon.

·
124 Spider Vendor
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And now on our Fiat 124, rare size 255/35/17 size is short enough it clears better than typical 245/40, and gearing works great for tight tracks, etc. Shown here is Achilles 123S 255/35 R17 on Hypergram Bronze 17x9.

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
Brian Goodwin's old post on tire and wheel choices

Brian, I hope you find this and reply. Maybe a year ago I read a post somewhere in which you reviewed the potential tire/wheel choices for a ND Miata. It was very good and "burst some bubbles" of foolish thinking that pertained to optimum choices. It was very helpful that someone with your experience said that the widest wheels with maximum tires are not going to make your car the best "dance partner", and actually might be like trying to do a fast polka in wooden clogs. I'll take credit for the dance analogy!
The ND is our "fraternal twin" and those choices also apply to the 124.
If I were a forum editor I'd make it a sticky.
Pete

·
124 Spider Vendor
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi Pete

Thanks for the good words. The most common issue we see is that folks hungry for the 'racy look' slap on big wheels and tires WITHOUT suspension mods. They end up with something that handles poorly because they put on a big setup without the necessary suspension to keep that wider tread flat to the pavement, and the result can be a car that handles WORSE than stock. So the first lesson is: MUST do suspension to match the amount of wheel and tire on the car. Otherwise, extra grip on stock suspension can violently pitch the car onto the bumpstops and it will bounce hard off those stops and the result is almost like riding a pogo-stick, the car is both slower and harder to drive at the limit. In fact most folks are best off doing suspension mods first without changing the OEM wheel/tire size so they get more from the tires already on the car. Only after they have the car flat in the turns and exceed the stock tire size grip is it worth adding wider wheels and tires. See current DECEMBER ISSUE of Grassroots MotorSports Magazine, page 123, for their review of our Progress Sway Bars on ND Miata (same suspension) with stock wheels/tires. We developed those sways on our ND Miata, they work just as well on the Fiat version.

·
124 Spider Vendor
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Great day for our Project Fiat 124...TOP TIME OF DAY AT LAST AUTOCROSS EVENT OF THE SEASON!

Used this last event to test some sway bar settings. Currently on our car is a relatively mild setup (300 front, 200 rear spring rates), full list below, and yet it was enough to lay down the fastest time today with about 200 competitors. Thanks to our buddy Patrick Sanford for great pics! Amazing result for a setup that can be driven comfortably daily.

RoadsterSport Springs
Koni Sport Shocks
Our Short BumpStops for Koni
Our Sway Bars
17x9 6UL wheels
Complete RoadsterSport Exhaust System (2.5 inch Crosspipe, 2.5 inch Midpipe, Quad Outlet Muffler Delete).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts