Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put BONOSS wheel spacers on their wheels? I've never used spacers before and would appreciate some first hand accounts on the good and bad before I make a decision.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hi...I saw this thread this morning and grimaced........Just returning to see "No Comment" so to get the ball rolling her is why I Don't Like Spacers......No personal experience but 50 years of Car Clubs and Piston Head knowledge......this is what I think.............They (Spacers) ruin your cars geometry and can affect handling as they move the wheels away from the suspension set up, which remains correct for the vehicle. They after "scrub Radius" and an increased radius will increase the forces on your steering rack under braking, going over bumps/ holes amplifies through the steering wheel and your braking ..loss of grip , unplanned slides and understeer in corners may ruin your day. Negative scrub radius worse still as handling may become vague in corners (understeer) putting extra leverage on your WHEEL BEARINGS.
The bigger the spacer then more leverage the less life expectancy of your wheel bearings.
Alos by moving away from the damper mounting point you increase leverage there making spring / damper less effective so roll through corners . Car shows /Meets and now Forums you get to share as now so you hear the horror stories and component failures from your mates and what the garage / shop who sorted the mess confirmed caused it...Spacers !

Lots of us here lower the Spider (Eibach Pro-Fit or H & R) favorites to improve the handling and fit (yes, I know it costs money but also saves money and lives if spacers cause failures) bigger / wider wheels to their ride to get "The Look" but more importantly "keep the correct geometry".
I am myself just ordering a set of new wheels (have 17" 124 Lusso (7.5 J 45 offset) wearing 215/45 R17 Michelins Pilot Sport 4's)after chatting with "The Guys" here I am going to 8J alloys and considering...a second set of Michelins at 225/45 R 17 to completely fill out the wheel arch but keep the correct look and dimensions / geometry.

For the USA....take a look at "Wheel-Size,com website where you can play with geometry till your hearts content "without" breaking any parts...Just feed in the standard info on your car then on right feed in your dreams and it will fully explain what's a Good idea and what's not. I hope this helps you and some of the Qualified boys who patrol here will hopefully confirm or correct the above. Better to save your pennies for new wheels if you are unhappy with the look of your Spider. By the way "Hello"...photos...the boys here crave photos to drool over.....Cheers
ron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts