Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Where am I not understanding somethings?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  kpoling 
#1 ·
Hi all.....ok I stopped by my nearest dealer to look at an 124 the other day and found two things that I did not care for or maybe I don't understand why those features are an improvement.

#1.The keys less entry....the way I see it if you key fob battery dies you are not starting the car or even getting inside if the top is up?Also if the fob battery goes dead while driving or you lose your link from the fob to the ignition the car will shut down?The salesman didn't know.

#2.I really found the info/radio set up to be more effort and complicated than a normal radio I've used in a car before besides the glare made on the screen hard for my old eyes to see clearly,or am I missing something by not having knobs to turn for tuning in a radio station.

Why are these features a benefit?

Gary

#2 ·
The keyless entry is great, and you don't even have to take the keys out of your pocket if you have the more advanced version - just push the button on the door and you're in. If the battery is dead, of course there is a backup. Like all keyless key fobs there is a backup physical key in the fob and a lock on the door. I have not had to actually use the backup key on a car since 1998 on my VW Passat so its unlikely you'll need it but its nice to know its there if necessary.

The 7.0 screen is bright and clear and you can change the brightness and contrast settings to match your eyes. The radio is straightforward, you can change stations using the buttons on the steering wheel - and volume for that matter - and not even have to take your eyes off the wheel. Take the time to save your favorites (which can include both radio and satellite stations) and don't even worry about what's on the screen as you can control it from the steering wheel.

I don't know about the more basic 3.0 system but I do know the steering wheel control works for that as well. Once you get used to a more modern system there is very little pain and much ease in operation, including with the nav system if you get it.

Attachments

Reactions: Millibar58
#3 ·
I love the keyless entry. I've got a similar feature on another vehicle (Suzuki Kizashi) that I've owned for four years and it has proven to be a very nice plus. I was very pleased to find that it is an option on the Spider and consider it a real plus. The system gives you plenty of warning if there is a problem with the key fob, giving you more than adequate time to replace the battery. Letting the battery run so low that it no longer works would be just as negligent as running out of gas because you ignored the fuel gauge and low fuel warnings.

New radios are more complicated because they are so much more than a just radio and can do so much more. If you're not familiar with them, you do have to invest the time to learn. There are some online video tutorials that help, and if your dealer is any good at all, will provide you with as much instruction as you reasonably want. Once you invest the time and become spoiled with the advanced features and capabilities, it's hard to go back.

#4 ·
You will not miss having keys jingling in the ignition or hitting your knee when you are driving.

A brief familiarization should be a part of any new car. Sit in your driveway or garage with the manual for a while. You may find some pleasant surprises.

Reactions: Unknownsir
#5 ·
Ok,from your photo you showed you do get a key that will open the door,it's just there is a cover over it.

Not that I believe everything I hear but have read a few reports that if the battery goes dead in my 06 Dodge key fob just changing out the battery won't help as the key fob needs to be reprogrammed for my car at a couple hundred dollars at the dealer,anyone know if that is based in fact? That these keyless fobs would need to be reprogrammed if the battery is replaced.

Sometimes new is not easier to use,maybe it is just me but I do kinda believe in keeping it simple

Maybe next visit I should seak out a different sales person who can show me how something really works,I have no interest in Nav nor satellite radio.I'd prefer a simple am/fm CD player but my feeling is those days are going away.Like the disappearing stick shift is going away.

Oh well,my interest is in an Abarth only so I should have time to get to know things better.

Thanks to all who have replied to this old timer

Gary

#7 ·
Hey Old Timer, I'm 69 years old and used to work on cars with generators and 6 volt batteries. New is better. On the Fiat, replacing the battery does not require re-programming. Just set up a reminder to do it once a year. If the battery goes dead, the car doesn't know it. It only knows it is not receiving a signal.

Reactions: kpoling
#6 ·
There is no reprogramming needed when replacing the battery. This is covered on pages 8-9 of the owners manual.

As for a CD player - not available in the Spider, which is the current trend. But - you can easily save all your CDs over to a USB stick and plug the stick into the jack on the console and access your music that way. And not have to fumble for discs, or worry about them getting damaged or lost.

#8 ·
FWIW on all other cars, so I assume the Spider too, if the car loses the link to the key while driving it will not shut off. Most will beep and display a warning.

I am not thrilled about the stereo either, way more complicated than it needs to be.

#9 ·
All the cars I have seen with push button start, the vehicle will stay running even if you lose the battery. I would think that there is no way the Feds would allow a car to be designed to shut off while driving down the road. now once shut off i would assume likely to not start again. But my understanding is that with a weak battery if you use the remote with the logo facing up and towards button and use it to push the button in the vehicle will start.

The radio can feel intimidating if all you want is just a basic am/fm radio, i am sure my mom would freak out over everything involved with the 7.0 radio, she makes me do a bunch of electronic related stuff every time i go over to her place. for the who enjoy gadgets it is certainly fun and might actually look forward to mess ing around with some of the hacks out there.

#10 ·
I verified the car keeps running if the key fob is out of range or the battery dies. It will continue to run until it is shut down. (Then, of course, it won't start until it sees the key.) My BMW was the same, and I'm assuming its true for other cars as well.

Reactions: racergary
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.