Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has it even been done yet on the forums?

How much horsepower is needed for that? 220 at the wheels?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've heard of a few.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I haven't seen it happen with good proof yet. ATP did it (video AND time slip) in a Fiat 500, the owner and all info is now defunct but the car had all of the ATP stuff and slicks.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I don't think any Spiders have yet. Eddie was the closest so far with 14.1 and I hit 14.38 on the stock turbo.

The HP and time part will depend on weight of the car, driver skill, and track conditions. Theoretically, my car+me at 2750lbs could hit 13.954 and 97.65mph with 200 RWHP according to DragTimes.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a great opportunity for a forum member to be the first!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yes, I agree. SOMEONE should be trying to break 14s, even 13s, and 100mph in the 1/4. SOMEONE please step up your game!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I agree. SOMEONE should be trying to break 14s, even 13s, and 100mph in the 1/4. SOMEONE please step up your game!
Well, I’m selling my current Spider in 1 month so not me. I will however break 14.00 in 2020 with Stuffed Turbo Phase 3 👍🏼

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Though I understand others being excited by 1/4 mile times in a Spider, it is a bit irrelevant to me personally. If I were going to mod a Spider, it would be more like this one where straight-line speed in the 1/4 mile is not as important.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Though I understand others being excited by 1/4 mile times in a Spider, it is a bit irrelevant to me personally. If I were going to mod a Spider, it would be more like this one where straight-line speed in the 1/4 mile is not as important.

1/4 is not for fun, it is to measure speed. (For me)

it helps to establish power goals.

·
738 Posts
I could not really care less about 1/4 mile times in my Spider but I see why some people do. I got 98 mph trap on a stock turbo and was happy with that at 14.5 seconds. The car is fun and feels plenty fast for now. I plan to go to Stage 2 soon but for me it is more about adding usable power in different places in the powerband than 1/4 mile time.

People say it is not fast but those times would beat most 60s era muscle cars.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I could not really care less about 1/4 mile times in my Spider but I see why some people do. I got 98 mph trap on a stock turbo and was happy with that at 14.5 seconds. The car is fun and feels plenty fast for now. I plan to go to Stage 2 soon but for me it is more about adding usable power in different places in the powerband than 1/4 mile time.

People say it is not fast but those times would beat most 60s era muscle cars.
1968 Camaro with the famed 327cu did the 1/4 mile in 16.1 seconds
1975 Camaro RS with 350cu ran 16.6 seconds
1968 Plymouth Roadrunner with 383cu did the 1/4 mile in 15 seconds
1973 AMX ran 15.3 sec
1982 Ferrari 308 GTSI ran 15.6 sec
1967 Mustang GT/A 390cu ran 15.4 sec
2017 Abarth with that whopping 83.3cu does the 1/4 mile in 15.4 seconds.

Cars have come a very long way. The Abarth ranks 9th of the 12th fastest cars under $30K. Pretty amazing.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is all about the subjective “happy medium”. For some it is 6 seconds 0-60, for others it is 4.5s, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hasn’t anyone installed the EC phase 3 and run the 1/4 yet? With the claimed HP numbers, I would think it would easily dip solidly into the higher 13’s, yes?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hasn’t anyone installed the EC phase 3 and run the 1/4 yet? With the claimed HP numbers, I would think it would easily dip solidly into the higher 13’s, yes?
very few people have upgraded their turbos

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yes, yes, and no. I'd take claimed HP numbers with a grain of salt. A high peak HP number is useless if that peak is tall and narrow on your power curve, what you want is more area under the curve not a taller peak.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, yes, and no. I'd take claimed HP numbers with a grain of salt. A high peak HP number is useless if that peak is tall and narrow on your power curve, what you want is more area under the curve not a taller peak.
well? Who ran with phase 3 the 1/4? What did he get?

·
Registered
35 Posts

If I remember correctly (I may not...) the dyno graph showed increased numbers throughout the rpm range, rather than a peak at a random rpm. I’ve invested in the EC tuner, keeping an open mind as to what to expect from the phase 1 & 2 tunes, I’m hoping their claims are accurate, as both tunes “should” provide at least a noticeable increase. The phase 3 with the upgraded turbo “should” provide a substantial increase over stock, again, if the numbers are accurate. Nothing has lead me to believe they are not honest numbers, so I’m looking forward to the install. After trying phase 2, if I see reasonable results, I’ll invest in the turbo upgrade. Maybe I’m spoiled, the last turbo car I played with was a PT Cruiser GT with the SRT-4 motor, and the Diablosport tuner made a BIG difference on that, before making numerous other mods. So, I guess I was just curious what kind of real world results anyone has seen with phase 3.

·
Registered
732 Posts
@MiniDreamCar @nemesis

Have you guys been following this thread?

Looks like no one's broken 14 yet with P3. Unless they did and posted somewhere else, or they broke it but I missed the post, but as far as I know it hasn't been done yet.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts