Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
@HaZ that is disappointing, especially when you consider these cars already run 14’s bone stock. Sounds like in the thread you posted (I read it entirely last night) that he may have had an issue all along, and it just couldn’t hold together over all those runs... hopefully better results are able to be had, I’d hate to think I threw all these parts and money at this car to gain a few tenths...? But, it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Please show me a stock 124 with a 14.99 or better that's not part of a C&D article. The car only puts out 140-145 HP at the wheels stock. That's somewhere in the mid 15s-16s depending on weight, driver, conditions. That's where a lot of my frustration came in early on until I got a better understanding of it all. Now I am dealing with an unfortunate incident caused by a human error but I will be back on the track come spring chasing my goals again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
@Calehedron First of all, I’m truly sympathetic of your situation. The whole time I was reading this thread (read through it all last night) I kept hoping that wasn’t how it was going to end, because I’ve been down that road before and blown motors while tuning. In the past, sometimes with vehicles that had no business being at a track honestly, I’ve usually been able to reasonably reproduce C&D and R&T numbers, so I assumed the same here. I don’t expect any measurable gains from my Top Speed exhaust, EC V2 intake, and DV+. But the EC tuner I did have high hopes for. It’s ordered, will get to play with it soon. You mentioned human error... did you discover what caused the issues and/or failure?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
You mentioned human error... did you discover what caused the issues and/or failure?
Thank you and yes, I found the issue that had been nagging since the Turbo install. The mechanic put the turbo/cat V-Band clamp on with the screw blocking the waste gate arm from opening more than just a little bit and intermittent boost spikes occurred here and there. I have the tear down in my build thread, Going All In.

I wasn't trying to be rude by any means earlier. I was thrown off by the 14s claims in the beginning and I was running in the 15-16s with the Madness piggyback back then.

I'll be back on the strip and road courses come spring and the new goal is in the 12s by this time next year.

·
Registered
295 Posts
What Cal said. No way Jose is this car hitting 15s stock, there just isn't enough power in the top end to pull off a stunt like that though, it FEELS like a 14s car when you're in the meat of the powerband (low-mid, more mid).

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here are a few sites...I am interested in breaking 14s with Phase 3...let’s just see what is required for that.

14.8 @ 93.5 Abarth / 14.9 @ 93.2 Classica

15.1 @ 92

14.9 @ 92.6 https://fastestlaps.com/models/abarth-124-spider

15.9 @ 96 http://accelerationtimes.com/models/abarth-124-spider

14.9 @ 93

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ok, take off all magazine times because they include roll-out, a luxury, zero people have other than magazines lol. @[email protected], that doesn't even make sense for stock. Fastest laps time is also dubious if you know what to look for.

I'd like to see a time slip and video of a stock car getting a high 14.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What Cal said. No way Jose is this car hitting 15s stock, there just isn't enough power in the top end to pull off a stunt like that though, it FEELS like a 14s car when you're in the meat of the powerband (low-mid, more mid).
I don’t know, when I was a teenager I had a brand new ‘94 firebird with a 3.4 V6 (all my other vehicles were various muscle cars 4X4’s) that had the same 165hp at the crank and weighed WAY more, and I ran that thing almost every Friday night that it wasn’t raining, and I ran 15.9’s consistently spinning through 1st gear. It wasn’t a fast enough car to address the traction issue, but when my other cars weren’t running, I could drive it to the track, run, and drive it home. It was something to do. With 100% traction it could have easily gone mid 15’s...

·
Registered
295 Posts
In an old f bod you’d see a low trap speed because even if you hooked, with the lame gearing on the six you’re trying to out drive physics the whole time; 15.9 just means you’re a good driver imo ;-).

Maybe I should convince my buddy to let me wheel his 124 down the strip next year ;-).

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Here are a few sites...I am interested in breaking 14s with Phase 3...let’s just see what is required for that.

14.8 @ 93.5 Abarth / 14.9 @ 93.2 Classica

15.1 @ 92

14.9 @ 92.6 https://fastestlaps.com/models/abarth-124-spider

15.9 @ 96 http://accelerationtimes.com/models/abarth-124-spider

14.9 @ 93
These were the results I was referring to earlier that should be thrown out, especially the 15.9 at 96 and I am hoping its just a typo because those numbers don't add up at all. With Phase 2 and stock turbo I did 14.38 at 95.56 and was also my best launch to date at 2.09.

The math just isn't there for those numbers. Use any race calculator you like. Stock 164BHP or ~140WHP is somewhere in the mid 15s to 16s depending on weight and driver skill. The 92-93 trap comes out around 164WHP using 2650lbs total weight, the 96 is 183WHP. Those are all at or more than the published BHP for the stock car.

Those articles are why I got so frustrated at first when I thought I should hit those numbers or better with what I had put into the car at the time. Its the marketing and in absolutely perfect conditions that cannot be achieved outside of simulation. If 14s were the norm off the lot, we would be seeing a lot more of those times everywhere and Eddie's 14.1 and my 14.3 wouldn't be the known records for tunes with upgraded and stock turbo, respectfully.

·
738 Posts
My 14.5 second 1/4 mile time is not a record but I believe that the 98 miles per hour trap speed is a record on a stock turbo. Does anyone have slips for more than 98 mph? This high trap shows me that my car is capable of better than 14.5 seconds with a more 1/4 mile capable driver than myself.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My 14.5 second 1/4 mile time is not a record but I believe that the 98 miles per hour trap speed is a record on a stock turbo. Does anyone have slips for more than 98 mph? This high trap shows me that my car is capable of better than 14.5 seconds with a more 1/4 mile capable driver than myself.

Thoughts?
Absolutely! The trap is enough that you could probably hit right at 14 +/- a tenth. You do have the record for most violent launch I have seen to date though! 🤣

I know what the pack here has done for the most part. I had only jumped back in at the claims that the stock cars can run 14s.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Thoughts?
do you plan on upgrading the turbo?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well... I seem to have poked the nest here! Now I’m wishing that I would have made some runs with this car before the season was over. I’ve been basically sitting on this thing. Spring will be 3 years that I’ve had it, and only 3,500 miles. Until last week, I had made no mods. But winter is here, warranty will be done by the time we’re into summer, and I can no longer ignore the urge to screw with it, so I’ve been placing numerous orders with EC lately, and have begun bolting goodies on. In regards to achievable times, when I was really into the 1/4 mile, I was infamous for squeezing times out of cars that shouldn’t necessarily have run that well. No idea if that is based on skill or just a willingness to push them that hard. I was always pretty good at finding a vehicles optimum power range, so shift points were key, and taking into consideration that gear ratios are not usually linear between gears, so shift points may vary between 2-3 compared to 3-4, and so on. If I goofed a run, it’s usually because I was watching a 10 second run in the other lane, or cringing over the other guy over revving or missing gears. I had a short attention span! Anyway... yah, looking forward to the track opening in the spring now that I’m willing to wail on this thing. I’ll probably be knee deep in mods by then, so I may never know what this particular car (and I) might have done stock. Who knows, maybe I’ve lost the edge...? It’ll be fun to be back at the track though, for sure!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
In the end, have fun! It's an interesting platform and it has a lot to offer with the right work. And speaking of right work, inspect the work! Whether you did it or someone else did, look it over. Trust, but verify!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well... I seem to have poked the nest here! Now I’m wishing that I would have made some runs with this car before the season was over. I’ve been basically sitting on this thing. Spring will be 3 years that I’ve had it, and only 3,500 miles. Until last week, I had made no mods. But winter is here, warranty will be done by the time we’re into summer, and I can no longer ignore the urge to screw with it, so I’ve been placing numerous orders with EC lately, and have begun bolting goodies on. In regards to achievable times, when I was really into the 1/4 mile, I was infamous for squeezing times out of cars that shouldn’t necessarily have run that well. No idea if that is based on skill or just a willingness to push them that hard. I was always pretty good at finding a vehicles optimum power range, so shift points were key, and taking into consideration that gear ratios are not usually linear between gears, so shift points may vary between 2-3 compared to 3-4, and so on. If I goofed a run, it’s usually because I was watching a 10 second run in the other lane, or cringing over the other guy over revving or missing gears. I had a short attention span! Anyway... yah, looking forward to the track opening in the spring now that I’m willing to wail on this thing. I’ll probably be knee deep in mods by then, so I may never know what this particular car (and I) might have done stock. Who knows, maybe I’ve lost the edge...? It’ll be fun to be back at the track though, for sure!
One of us one of us!

·
Registered
295 Posts

Thoughts?
hold my 🍺 beer

·
738 Posts
21 - 40 of 52 Posts