Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has the highest mileage 124 Spider out there?

Post your year, model, mileage.

Any problems?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Check out this thread -

Reactions: rexracerx9

·
Vendor
3,236 Posts
My 124 is low mileage, but my 500L which uses pretty much the same engine has 115,000 miles on it. The only actual part failure it has had was a sensor, ironically a Bosch sensor, not even a Fiat specific part. It failed at around 100k miles.

Greg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Greg,
Are the heads the same for the 124 and 500L? How common is the "no-start" issue after storage? I assume a few of the engine failures on this forum are due mostly to modded engines? Are there any other common or known issues other then some bad thermostats and water pumps? Any 2019's with bad water pumps? Your thoughts on this are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Vendor
3,236 Posts
The heads are the same. In fact, functionally everything is the same. The blocks do have external differences due so I don't recommend trying to put a 500 type engine into a 124 or vice versa.

The no start issue after storage is primarily a 124 issue simply because it's the only car that's often parked for the winter. Even then, if you follow my instructions on this it's a non issue period.

The thermostat issue with the 124 was a software issue, if there was an issue with the actual thermostat, I don't know about it. I haven't seen the water pump issue, but I have heard about it. I'm not sure if they fix it with a new water pump or just tighten the bolts.

There have been very few 124 engine failures. I know of a few failures of stock engines. One is being discussed in a current thread, and I posted my theory about it there. Modded engine failures are very rare. The only one I know of that failed with our products was due to an aftermarket turbo blanket jamming the wastegate actuator. Overall, these are very rugged engines.

Greg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The heads are the same. In fact, functionally everything is the same. The blocks do have external differences due so I don't recommend trying to put a 500 type engine into a 124 or vice versa.

The no start issue after storage is primarily a 124 issue simply because it's the only car that's often parked for the winter. Even then, if you follow my instructions on this it's a non issue period.

The thermostat issue with the 124 was a software issue, if there was an issue with the actual thermostat, I don't know about it. I haven't seen the water pump issue, but I have heard about it. I'm not sure if they fix it with a new water pump or just tighten the bolts.

There have been very few 124 engine failures. I know of a few failures of stock engines. One is being discussed in a current thread, and I posted my theory about it there. Modded engine failures are very rare. The only one I know of that failed with our products was due to an aftermarket turbo blanket jamming the wastegate actuator. Overall, these are very rugged engines.

Greg
What do you recommend doing when storing a 124 over winter?
Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
133 Posts
General question...Fiats are at the bottom of any US list you see for reliability. I assume the spider is better than the usual Fiat since the non-engine parts are Mazdas. What makes the other Fiats so unreliable??

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
General question...Fiats are at the bottom of any US list you see for reliability. I assume the spider is better than the usual Fiat since the non-engine parts are Mazdas. What makes the other Fiats so unreliable??
Probably unfair and undeserved biases perpetualted by those that love a good story. And stories are hard to displace, for once they have a foothold, people relay them as gospel truth regardless of how well founded they are (or not).

Kind of like my father who was a die hard GM guy, and who would love to toss out the issues with Fix Or Repair Daily vehicles. That too was biased and unfair. I think all manufacturers have produced at least one model that had problems, and if you think about it, I'm sure some come readily to mind (Vegas, Pintos, etc.). But does that one model represent the quality of the brand as a whole?

It's like how one person on this forum made a comment to the likes of "there's so many problems discussed here, the car must be a disaster"... or something akin to that. The reality is, there are a lot of posts on here where an owner reaches out when trying to diagnose an issue they're experiencing. Does everyone have that particular problem with their car? No. But, if you've got something strange going on, it's great to be able to reach out to hundreds of other owners to see if hey've seen or heard of something similar.

IMHO.... lol

Reactions: gregdacat

·
Registered
279 Posts
After having spent major portions of my life in three continents, I love collecting anecdotes on the perception that people in different countries have of different brands. Buick has a superb reputation in China, apparently because the last emperor owned two. VW is considered a serious brand in Europe, which deserves a premium price, when I twice had mechanics in the US spontaneously telling me the "truth" about my then-new 2006 Passat (200k miles later, they were wrong). FIAT engines in Brasil and Europe have reputation for being bullet-proof, but the car's electrics are sub-par. Peugeot is what will last 20 years in Africa, and Mercedes is what a Lebanese taxi needs for reliability.
I think that reliability depends on how well people understand the technology and common issues in a brand/model. I am convinced that if FIAT sold a rebadged Camry, it would be less reliable than a 500. Every model of every brand will have some issues and wear, but if the techs can't recognize the difference between an IC leak and a turbo failure, then minor annoyances become big problems. And that's the problem that we are facing despite any stellar Mazda or FIAT (engine) reiliability.

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
278 Posts
I have owned a good number of FIATs beginning with a 1969 850 sport and progressing through to 124 Spiders and on to my current iteration of the 124 Spider. I purchased this one without any hesitation over reliability. Always heard the Fix It Again Tony comments but you couldn't prove it by my experience. My FIATs required no more repair or maintenance than any of my American cars of similar vintage. I agree people love to repeat as gospel, stories that are not widely based in fact.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts