Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Recently got the AR axle back installed and have been driving the car nonstop. Today, doing about 50 on the freeway, I notice a loud whoosh coming from the passenger side. Cruise control is no longer functioning and boost levels have dropped. I've read some of the articles on the P0299 code on this forum and plan to try removing and reinstalling the diverter valve once the engine cools down. However, I'm worried the sound is abnormal and indicative of turbo failure. it sounds almost as though the engine bay is trying to draw air from the cabin... Has anyone experienced this before? Should I start saving for a ludicrous repair cost?

Nick

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Have you done anything with the air intake or intercooler? Check all the piping and air intake connections. You have a massive boost leak somewhere. It almost sounds like your intercooler connection at the throttle body came loose. This should be a fix you can make if you can find the source of the leak.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have not touched the intake or intercooler. Exhaust was the first mod after car came out of warrantee. Where can I find the connection between the throttle body and intercooler? Agreed that it does sound like a massive boost leak

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
You're going to have to get your car elevated and get the skid plates off. You might need to take off the right wheel also. Looking underneath from the right side of the car you should see the intercooler piping connecting to the throttle body. You can see that in the photo below about where the 3 is pointing. That should be firmly secured there. But there are several joints in the stock piping that a leak could be coming from.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just took the car to dealership, I dont feel comfortable messing around with this just yet. I will update this thread for future reference on what the outcome is. Im posting the video of what it sounded like in case anyone else comes across this problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those wondering...

Car ended up at the dealership, @Chainringtattoo was right. Intercooler was loose at the throttle body causing the sound. Due to a recent run in with a raccoon on a dark road, there also seemed to be a hole in the intercooler which is now being replaced. I've asked them to run a boost leak test to see if everything is in shape and ready for the road.

Best,
Nick

·
Registered
594 Posts
Are you replacing it with an OEM intercooler or an upgraded aftermarket one?
I ask because I understood that the car is not under warranty anymore.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its being replaced under the insurance claim along with the front bumper (from the raccoon incident). they said tightening the clamp would be covered under warranty since its a relatively easy process. However, the damage on mine was more extensive according to dealer which merited OEM replacement part. I hope to get the EC FMIC at some point but I dont have those funds yet.

·
Registered
289 Posts
As the car is out of warranty there is no need to use factory parts. Ask your insurance if they will pay you for the cost of the factory replacement intercooler. I had an accident in another car and the new bumper facia was going to be $1800. I had the insurance give me the cash and I purchased a full aero kit for the car. The aftermarket EC inter-cooler is actually less than what the dealer charges for the stock part and it is much better quality. Insurance companies are all different so don't know if this is an option for you. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
As the car is out of warranty there is no need to use factory parts. Ask your insurance if they will pay you for the cost of the factory replacement intercooler. I had an accident in another car and the new bumper facia was going to be $1800. I had the insurance give me the cash and I purchased a full aero kit for the car. The aftermarket EC inter-cooler is actually less than what the dealer charges for the stock part and it is much better quality. Insurance companies are all different so don't know if this is an option for you. Just a thought.
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I would have come here earlier with the news in that case... Front bumper and intercooler are already being installed. That would have been the easiest possible way to get phase 2 . Time to go out and find another raccoon? 😂

1 - 11 of 11 Posts