Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning: Bit of a rant follows!

I am in LOVE with the Abarth 124 Spider. Had a '73 124 Spider many years ago and I always thought it was the best looking car ever made - I loved it...until I saw the new 2017 Spider...it's literally my dream car. Test drove a red Abarth a few days ago - simply amazing...most fun car I have ever driven (not that I have driven a lot of performance or sports cars...I'm really more of an off-road guy...or was!) I just have to have one of these gorgeous cars.

Anyway, I have called, emailed, and visited three dealerships (all big Chrysler/Dodge outfits with Fiat seemingly tacked on). None have the car I want or seem interested in finding me one. So I've moved on to asking about when I can order a 2018 the way I would like it. Only one is even bothering to return calls/e-mails at this point, and sadly none knew anything about how/when a 2018 could be ordered.

So today I called Fiat Canada to ask - they said they had no idea and that the dealerships would know first and I should just contact them! WTF?? Exactly who is informing the dealerships if you don't know?

A little frustrating.

·
Vendor
3,649 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but I can say that it's always been that way with Fiats. I don't know why. The upside is that the community and aftermarket support for the brand is very solid. You can get reliable info and tech help from the enthusiast community that's as good or better than you will find with any other brand.

Greg

·
Registered
233 Posts
I feel your pain, however I have read on this forum somewhere, where one person had a dealer ship a car to his local dealer. I did a Google search all over and checked everyone's inventory within 100 miles. I found one that fit the bill and drove down and bought it. Dealers may be willing to cut bargains at this date. I got about $1500 discounts on my Classica and I was very happy. Keep looking, it's worth the effort..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Canada is perhaps different than USA A lot of the fiat dealers only carry them because they're required to, that's my local dealer, purely an obligation, they have no interest promoting or selling the cars.
BUT I was very lucky that about 150 miles away from me is Fiat of Birmingham, I've bought 4 cars from them, enthusiastic about the marque and just great to deal with, they sell fiat/alfa/maserati, they're owned by a bigger dealer but they're a standalone at the site.

WIll buy again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I too feel your pain. Thankfully the local Alfa Romeo dealership was carrying the Fiats when it was time for me to buy. And my experience there was top notch. Knowledgeable salesman, car enthusiasts, and no back and forth to the sales manager crap!
I have had 3 dreadful experiences (2 new trucks and a used BMW 128) buying cars at the local FCA dealer. Soooo many wasted hours of my life.
If I had been forced to buy my Abarth from a Chrysler dealership, I would probably be driving a Mazda ND and hoping that I could learn to love the looks.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the encouragement!

I refuse to give up!

Kicker is - my wife loves the car as much as I do. In fact, it's to be our 25th wedding anniversary present to one another!

My wishes are:

If it's a 2017:

Absolute musts:
Abarth
Red Exterior
Automatic Transmission
Luxury Package

Preferences:
Black interior (but will consider red interior too)
Brembo brakes (but will consider without Brembo brakes too)
Recaro Seats (but will consider without Recaro seats too).

If it's to be a 2018 and custom ordered and the packaging is the same in Canada as the US (no info on 2018 on Fiat Canada build site yet), I would order:

Abarth
Red Exterior
Black Interior
Automatic Transmission
Navigation and Sound Group w/SiriusXM (ANA)
Brembo brakes
Recaro Seats

Closest thing I have found is a 2017 as I would like minus the Recaro seats, but it's over 500km away, no local dealer is interested in a dealer trade and it's getting late in the season to drive out there and get it (plus one of us would have to drive the soulless Kia back, LOL). So with that and it not being perfect, I'm leaning towards waiting for a 2018 exactly as we want. Plus wifey keeps telling me "Don't compromise, even a bit, we're only doing this once!)

Bill

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Funny story...about our old '73 that relates.

I bought it from a college kid, back when the Mazda Miata 1st gen was popular. It was a gift for the wife - she always wanted a little sports car. It was in pretty rough shape - but no problem, I've been a car guy all my life and built custom off-road rigs before - so I was going to restore it for her. She loved it, and drove it exactly once with its scary brakes and steering, before i stripped it down completely. Unfortunately, when I was done disassembling I was left with a large pile of rust and a transmission and differential! It was not recoverable.

I swore I'd make it up to her one day.

And I remeber saying to her at that time - I wish I could take that gorgeous fiat body and just plop it down on a Miata...now that would be a car.

And now here we are!

The want is strong with me now!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Stick to your guns, Bill, and get the one that will be the most special to both of you. Enjoy the challenge, you'll get it.

Steve.

Reactions: SteveWy and DavidH

·
Registered
107 Posts
BillaVista - did you go to the Fiat site (in the U.S. it is FiatUSA.com) and they will have a way to build a car, and then do a search for dealer inventories within a radius range. I had to start entering in Zip Codes through out California, Oregon, Washington before finding my car......in Conneticut...nearly 5000 km away. I had it trucked to my condo. I love my car.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks guys for the encouragement!

I refuse to give up!

Kicker is - my wife loves the car as much as I do. In fact, it's to be our 25th wedding anniversary present to one another!

My wishes are:

If it's a 2017:

Absolute musts:
Abarth
Red Exterior
Automatic Transmission
Luxury Package

Preferences:
Black interior (but will consider red interior too)
Brembo brakes (but will consider without Brembo brakes too)
Recaro Seats (but will consider without Recaro seats too).

If it's to be a 2018 and custom ordered and the packaging is the same in Canada as the US (no info on 2018 on Fiat Canada build site yet), I would order:

Abarth
Red Exterior
Black Interior
Automatic Transmission
Navigation and Sound Group w/SiriusXM (ANA)
Brembo brakes
Recaro Seats

Closest thing I have found is a 2017 as I would like minus the Recaro seats, but it's over 500km away, no local dealer is interested in a dealer trade and it's getting late in the season to drive out there and get it (plus one of us would have to drive the soulless Kia back, LOL). So with that and it not being perfect, I'm leaning towards waiting for a 2018 exactly as we want. Plus wifey keeps telling me "Don't compromise, even a bit, we're only doing this once!)

Bill

There is a lot of goodness in that luxury package. Most are obvious. But the LED headlights are amazing to drive with. Plus I love the halo on them. Better headlights than our newer SUVs, LEDs after market on our Wrangler, better than my former HID BMW lights, etc. makes driving at night fun.

I waited 6 months for what I wanted, that was already on order from a dealer! Crazy. But so worth the wait to get exactly what I wanted.

Don’t sweat the Brembos, you can get full front and back Wilwoods set up from GoodWin Racing for the same money and have as good if not better brakes. Plus more after market wheels will fit. Ask me how I know..... :( Hold to your guns on the rest. It will be amazing

Reactions: BillaVista

·
Registered
638 Posts
There is two Red Automatic, Luxury Abarth available at this dealer in my town.

http://www.beauprecapitale.ca/new-inventory/index.htm?make=FIAT&model=124 Spider

It's within 500km radius of Ottawa and I'm pretty sure they will be open for a dealer stock exchange because these cars sit in their inventory for a long time. I know this since I visited that dealer last spring (early march) when looking for mine.

Tip: If you wan't to get some interest, book a test drive with one dealer in your area and after that they won't let go out without trying to sell you one!

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stick to your guns, Bill, and get the one that will be the most special to both of you. Enjoy the challenge, you'll get it.

Steve.
Thanks, I will. The anticipation can be sweet (in a bitter-sweet) way!

BillaVista - did you go to the Fiat site (in the U.S. it is FiatUSA.com) and they will have a way to build a car, and then do a search for dealer inventories within a radius range. I had to start entering in Zip Codes through out California, Oregon, Washington before finding my car......in Conneticut...nearly 5000 km away. I had it trucked to my condo. I love my car.
Impressive dedication!

That's the one I test drove! Unfortunately it doesn't have the Luxury packages (and therefore not the Bose which is a must-have for wifey!)

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don’t sweat the Brembos, you can get full front and back Wilwoods set up from GoodWin Racing for the same money and have as good if not better brakes. Plus more after market wheels will fit. Ask me how I know..... :( Hold to your guns on the rest. It will be amazing
Roger that! Thanks.

Please tell me the exchange rate is large 40k what does that convert to in U.S.?
That's about $32k in US dollars.

There is two Red Automatic, Luxury Abarth available at this dealer in my town.

http://www.beauprecapitale.ca/new-inventory/index.htm?make=FIAT&model=124 Spider

It's within 500km radius of Ottawa and I'm pretty sure they will be open for a dealer stock exchange because these cars sit in their inventory for a long time. I know this since I visited that dealer last spring (early march) when looking for mine.

Tip: If you wan't to get some interest, book a test drive with one dealer in your area and after that they won't let go out without trying to sell you one!
Thanks for the tip and info!

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
http://www.autotrader.ca/cars/fiat/...00&hprc=True&wcp=True&inMarket=advancedSearch

Seems like you need to go across the country to get them! Sorry about that.....

Here are some US listings with 500 miles of Burlington Vermont

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...d=28880&trId=47744&transTypeId=28113&zc=05401
Yea, 3000km+ is probably a bit far :eek:

I briefly flirted with the idea of a US import...but the paperwork is a burden (if it's even possible, based on different safety standards) and it would make warranty a problem. Plus you have funny units on your speedometers! ;)

I'm leaning towards a 2018 when I can order it, and entertaining myself in the meantime by reading debates on engine oil, LOL. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I drove 260 miles to get mine when the salesman locally couldn't be bothered to tell me the truth. Anyway, I found exactly what I wanted.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
I think you ought to forward the ignored email to the General Manager of the dealership. I'd think he'd rip the Sales Mgr a new one over a lost sale. Profits are too thin to blow a sale over laziness/stupidity.
Before Chrysler was ripped apart by Mercedes, back in the heyday of the 90's, a puny little dealership in Taylor Texas was a top Chrysler/Dodge dealership. We drove 30 miles to use their service department and the sales experience was amazing. No B.S.! We bought two cars from this dealer.
The FCA shop I bought my car from was one of this organizations "stores". So although FCA is a clown circus, there is at least one honest dealer in central TX who is selling the car.
But in the largest sense, FCA is a clown circus.
best regards
Pete

1 - 20 of 25 Posts