Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been stressing night and day on wether I should do a complete retrofit conversion of my ugly halogen lightbulbs. Being ugly isn't the main concern of these bulbs as much as how dim they come from factory. So I figured I might as well jump ship and knock out two birds with one stone with a bright and visually appealing upgrade. But hold on there's a ginormous problem to think about.

HIGH BEAMS CAN'T RUN ON LED/HID
This is caused due to the way the car uses the same bulbs as the high beams for the daytime running lights. The method fiat went with was flickering the voltage to get the halogen running dimmer for daytime use. LEDs and HIDs do not support this. So now I've got a bit of a dilemma on my hands or rather a trilemma if you will.

either I:
1. Screw it I want LEDs I don't care about visual continuity (lowbeam LEDs & highbeam Halogens)
2. Who needs DRLs anyway? imma just turn them off (lowbeam & highbeam LEDs)
3. purchase blue dipped halogen bulbs that are brighter and more white than OEM ( Halogen & Halogen)

It was a close call but I went with option number 3. I don't like deviating away from how the car came from the factory. I also appreciated the fact that I could buy both H11(lowbeam) and 9005(highbeam) in the same brand to get that "yeah it's stock officer" look. the bulbs I went with are the Crystal Vision Ultras from Phillips. There were many reviews that said the bulb still looked a tad yellow and was nowhere near the look of standard 6500k LEDs. While I agree with the ladder statement the former didn't hold up in my experience. After installing I could see a night and day difference. The light is white and somehow twice as bright as OEM. I can't do a comparison because I forgot to take a before picture but take my word for it you'll be able to see so much more.

Left is OEM and right are the crystal visions
View attachment 89311

Incase you haven't noticed I also changed the parking light from amber to white and in my opinion gives the car a more clean front end. the bulb size is a 194 or W5W

New headlights with the DRLs and parking lights
View attachment 89313
Hi, I did a full front light Led conversation from Ledperf. I’ve got side light, main beam, high beam and DLR. All works perfect, no flickering or errors. For the high beam/dlr it’s dimmer when on dlr and brighter on full beam. Mine is uk spec the bulb had 3 pins and I just simply switched the old for new bulb so you can get LEDs now which will work just like the dual purpose halogen bulbs-just brighter, much brighter actually 👍

·
Registered
52 Posts
I looked at this as well, but there is a problem with legality in the UK (Aftermarket LED Bulbs: MOT Rules And Legalities), things may change in the future but for now I just didn’t want the hassle come MOT time. Additionally, I wasn’t sure about the match between the OEM reflector bowls/ lenses and the LED bulb and I didn’t want to have to change any of the set up in that regard, I have read that LEDs output light differently, it just didn’t seem as straightforward as I had hoped. I am very rarely out in the car at night and so on balance I went with the brighter halogen option…I was tempted though as LEDs draw far less current and are an improvement in terms of output.
Hi, my car went through MOT last month-passed fine. I think you need to be careful and buy good quality and ideally emarked. You won't regret upgrading to good quality LEDs they make winter driving so much easier and safer and your car look cool.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts