Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Classica
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been stressing night and day on wether I should do a complete retrofit conversion of my ugly halogen lightbulbs. Being ugly isn't the main concern of these bulbs as much as how dim they come from factory. So I figured I might as well jump ship and knock out two birds with one stone with a bright and visually appealing upgrade. But hold on there's a ginormous problem to think about.

HIGH BEAMS CAN'T RUN ON LED/HID
This is caused due to the way the car uses the same bulbs as the high beams for the daytime running lights. The method fiat went with was flickering the voltage to get the halogen running dimmer for daytime use. LEDs and HIDs do not support this. So now I've got a bit of a dilemma on my hands or rather a trilemma if you will.

either I:
1. Screw it I want LEDs I don't care about visual continuity (lowbeam LEDs & highbeam Halogens)
2. Who needs DRLs anyway? imma just turn them off (lowbeam & highbeam LEDs)
3. purchase blue dipped halogen bulbs that are brighter and more white than OEM ( Halogen & Halogen)

It was a close call but I went with option number 3. I don't like deviating away from how the car came from the factory. I also appreciated the fact that I could buy both H11(lowbeam) and 9005(highbeam) in the same brand to get that "yeah it's stock officer" look. the bulbs I went with are the Crystal Vision Ultras from Phillips. There were many reviews that said the bulb still looked a tad yellow and was nowhere near the look of standard 6500k LEDs. While I agree with the ladder statement the former didn't hold up in my experience. After installing I could see a night and day difference. The light is white and somehow twice as bright as OEM. I can't do a comparison because I forgot to take a before picture but take my word for it you'll be able to see so much more.

Left is OEM and right are the crystal visions
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Flash photography Headlamp

Incase you haven't noticed I also changed the parking light from amber to white and in my opinion gives the car a more clean front end. the bulb size is a 194 or W5W

New headlights with the DRLs and parking lights
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Classica
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely. I was prepared to purchase LEDs for my Abarth as it did not list them on the Monroney, but appears a prior owner beat me to it because after I got it, it has LED bulbs in the housing. Wish it had the LED halo rings, but at least I don't have to go digging in there to replace anything now.
doing that was an absolute hassle consider yourself lucky. You have to take off the liner under the fender. I did it the hard way by turning the wheels instead of taking them off.

·
Registered
2017 Classica
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LED options seem very popular but inserting a LED in a reflector type headlight may have a negative effect on both you and oncoming traffic. In a former life, part of my job was to evaluate wayside signals for trains. It was very interesting to see how such a small change in the filament postion in relation to the refector and lens had a noticeable effect on the train crews ability to clearly see the signal. What was worse, at times a poorly focused red signal could give an appearance of a more orange color possibly giving the crew the opinion it was yellow.

Just a bit of my old RR experience coming back. But, one pet peeve I do have is the prevalent use of fog lights. Not only does to hamper the vision of oncoming traffic it also has a small negative effect on the driver being able to see in the distance. By putting light in an area that doesn't help you see further in front of you, your pupils actually will close slightly reducing you night time vision. There, that's the pilot in my coming out. While I'm on my soapbox did you know once subjected to bright lights it can take up to 30 minutes to regain all of your night vision? I'm the goof ball who lowers the sunvisor at night to block the bright green LED traffic lights. Another gripe is the change from engineering grade retrorefectivity on road signs to high intensity. These reflect so much light back it's sometimes hard to read the sign not to mention what it does to your vision while driving at night.

Rant off.....
It's a pet peeve of mine too. So many cars in my town go straight to LED in their reflector housing. some do it pretty well but others just throw the light everywhere

1 - 3 of 3 Posts