Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
LED options seem very popular but inserting a LED in a reflector type headlight may have a negative effect on both you and oncoming traffic. In a former life, part of my job was to evaluate wayside signals for trains. It was very interesting to see how such a small change in the filament postion in relation to the refector and lens had a noticeable effect on the train crews ability to clearly see the signal. What was worse, at times a poorly focused red signal could give an appearance of a more orange color possibly giving the crew the opinion it was yellow.

Just a bit of my old RR experience coming back. But, one pet peeve I do have is the prevalent use of fog lights. Not only does to hamper the vision of oncoming traffic it also has a small negative effect on the driver being able to see in the distance. By putting light in an area that doesn't help you see further in front of you, your pupils actually will close slightly reducing you night time vision. There, that's the pilot in my coming out. While I'm on my soapbox did you know once subjected to bright lights it can take up to 30 minutes to regain all of your night vision? I'm the goof ball who lowers the sunvisor at night to block the bright green LED traffic lights. Another gripe is the change from engineering grade retrorefectivity on road signs to high intensity. These reflect so much light back it's sometimes hard to read the sign not to mention what it does to your vision while driving at night.

Rant off.....

·
Registered
484 Posts
Pretty much all applies to projector headlights as well. The relationship between the light source and lens is very important.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I won't disagree that it's important, but it's very different with projectors versus reflectors. Reflectors are designed around a specific light pattern, usually 180 degrees or more of light emitting from an incandescent filament. LEDs tend to be more narrow in their light throw, resulting in odd patterns and light being thrown in unexpected directions and intensities in a reflector housing. A projector housing notably has shields and a more precise lens, which prevent it from throwing light in undesirable directions.

Someone posted photos of halogen vs. LED in the halogen projectors here: Lighting upgrade: headlights, running lights and fogs

The LEDs are throwing essentially the same pattern as the halogen bulbs, you can see in the side-by-side where one of each is installed.
That's pretty impressive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts