Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Normally when starting, pushing the clutch the green 'start' light comes on and the green 'key' indicator lights, and you start the car. Stopping, just push the start/stop button. All well and good.

However, I had something different happen the past two days.

Went for a drive (as you do) parked, then pressed the stop button, engine stopped as normal but the start/stop button went amber. Pressed the stop button again, and it turned off. Opened the door, and got a continuous beep-beep chime while the door was open.

Key fob would not work to lock/unlock. Tried to lock with the outside button on the door handle and got an angry rapid beeping from the car for a few seconds.

Pushing the clutch to restart and did not get the normal green start light or the green dash light; it would start ok, though!

Keyfob appeared to be functioning to a certain extent: could not open trunk when fob was out of range, but when in range could open the trunk normally (not with keyfob but with trunk switch under the trunk lid). Light on keyfob was coming on as normal.

So, yesterday, changed out the keyfob for the spare. Everything back to normal. Switched back to original fob. Everything normal. Went for a drive, stopped (parked), and back to abnormal behavior (no green start light, but car will start).

Now it gets really bizarre. Stuck in traffic, traffic starts to move, and i stall, twice. Because I'm an idiot, not because of any failure - I was in third instead of first. First stall restart, no green start light (shows amber) but car starts. Second stall, got the amber light, then suddenly switched to green, and got the green dash light. I.e. Back to normal.

Changed the fob battery, but all indications are that it is not a dead fob battery (according to manual). Moved the fob away from any metal (I have it on a Fiat metal key ring). Checked a few other irellavant things like lights, car battery voltage, and generally looked at stuff expecting to see a gopher pop up.

I did not have to resort to the emergency start procedure for a dead battery in the key fob. The only other idea is that the key fob got itself in a 'disabled' state, such as when the fob is left in the car without the car running (apparently, this is a thing, according to the book).

Anybody else had similar issues?

·
Super Moderator
949 Posts
Not exactly . . .
But what you discovered is the equivalent of the "ACC" setting in a key-lock ignition. A "deliberate" push starts/stops the engine. A "light/quick" push puts you in the mode for being parked with engine stopped, but able to listen to the radio, or play with phone.
I have not become tangled-up in any of the rest of what you describe, but does this make sense?
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought, too, but it isnt that. The amber light is on, but it's not in ACC mode. If I push it once, without clutch, it goes off, then I can cycle through the ACC, IGN and off. Pushing the clutch didn't make a difference: no green lights, but was able to start with a single push.

Anyways, drove around today, and it acted normally.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Normally when starting, pushing the clutch the green 'start' light comes on and the green 'key' indicator lights, and you start the car. Stopping, just push the start/stop button. All well and good.

However, I had something different happen the past two days.

Went for a drive (as you do) parked, then pressed the stop button, engine stopped as normal but the start/stop button went amber. Pressed the stop button again, and it turned off. Opened the door, and got a continuous beep-beep chime while the door was open.

Key fob would not work to lock/unlock. Tried to lock with the outside button on the door handle and got an angry rapid beeping from the car for a few seconds.

Pushing the clutch to restart and did not get the normal green start light or the green dash light; it would start ok, though!

Keyfob appeared to be functioning to a certain extent: could not open trunk when fob was out of range, but when in range could open the trunk normally (not with keyfob but with trunk switch under the trunk lid). Light on keyfob was coming on as normal.

So, yesterday, changed out the keyfob for the spare. Everything back to normal. Switched back to original fob. Everything normal. Went for a drive, stopped (parked), and back to abnormal behavior (no green start light, but car will start).

Now it gets really bizarre. Stuck in traffic, traffic starts to move, and i stall, twice. Because I'm an idiot, not because of any failure - I was in third instead of first. First stall restart, no green start light (shows amber) but car starts. Second stall, got the amber light, then suddenly switched to green, and got the green dash light. I.e. Back to normal.

Changed the fob battery, but all indications are that it is not a dead fob battery (according to manual). Moved the fob away from any metal (I have it on a Fiat metal key ring). Checked a few other irellavant things like lights, car battery voltage, and generally looked at stuff expecting to see a gopher pop up.

I did not have to resort to the emergency start procedure for a dead battery in the key fob. The only other idea is that the key fob got itself in a 'disabled' state, such as when the fob is left in the car without the car running (apparently, this is a thing, according to the book).

Anybody else had similar issues?
On the automatic versions, the car will act as you described if you shut the engine with the transmission out of Park. It will beep if you open the door. For the manual - the owners manual states that you must stop the engine when first or reverse is engaged. I'm guessing if you stop in another gear you get the issue I mentioned regarding auto transmission.

Also, if you leave the ignition or acc on (with the engine off) if you exit the car with the key you'll get beeps. The owners manual implies this is also possible if you put the keys where it can't easily detect (such as on top of the dash).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello
I have had the same thing happen on my lusso plus also tried swopping keys played up for a few weeks ,it has gone into the main dealer and they have said that its the electronic button on the door handle ,I'm waiting to have it fitted hope this helps
Nigel

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I have an interesting update on this. Problem 'found' but not necessarily 'fixed' (if it needs fixing).

This problem seemed to only occur with my wife in the car with me. She has an e-cigarette, which we use the auxiliary 12V port in the passenger footwell for charging that battery.

If the car is stopped while the battery is plugged in, then this weird problem happens. It seems the car thinks the ignition is still 'partially' on. The 12V to USB adaptor has a light on it, which stays dimly lit (not fully) when the car is turned off. Unplug the [e-cig] battery, and everything is back to normal.

Is not a problem when charging an iPhone, or other hand-held device.

Why this affects the green start button light, green key light on the dash, or key fob operation, I don't know. It almost acts like the ignition is on, but not fully.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the automatic versions, the car will act as you described if you shut the engine with the transmission out of Park. It will beep if you open the door. For the manual - the owners manual states that you must stop the engine when first or reverse is engaged. I'm guessing if you stop in another gear you get the issue I mentioned regarding auto transmission.

Also, if you leave the ignition or acc on (with the engine off) if you exit the car with the key you'll get beeps. The owners manual implies this is also possible if you put the keys where it can't easily detect (such as on top of the dash).
I just had this happen to me on the manual Abarth 124 spider. There was no response to any key fob buttons. I had to start the engine, then stop it while the car was in first gear.
Sorted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts