Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fun Autocross last weekend in our Fiat, continuing to really love the stuffed turbo from NGEN, thanks to Bryan at NGEN. Hard to argue with results, we were the fastest thing with doors at the Kickoff 2020 Season event, beat every Porsche, Corvette, Lotus, Miata, etc....despite 3 year old tires on the car which were the only tires I had handy at the last moment to toss on after the Miata I was going to run at the event had mechanical issue at the event. Have done some logs back and forth with Tork to update the tune, really got it dialed to perfection now, will get back to dyno soon to get current numbers as time permits.

The Winning Run!

I have not updated the threads for this car in a while, here is what is on the car now, click the links for more details:

One of our Complete Exhaust Systems for Fiat 124 (Crosspipe, Resonated Midpipe, Muffler Delete).
Ohlins Coilovers
Karcepts front and Karcepts rear Sways
Wilwood Dynalite Front 12.19" Big Brake Brake Kit
OSGiken Superlock LSD for Fiat 124
Blackbird Rear Adjustable Spoiler (Prototype, cranked up to max AOA here for autocross)
APR front Splitter
LIGHT 17x9 Flow Formed Wheels with 245/40
Tork Tune (E85)
Stuffed Turbo from NGEN
Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve
RoadsterSport Ultra Light Battery MOUNTING KIT
Blackbird Fabworx ND RZ Roll Bar
RoadsterSport 4 Piece Complete Fiat 124 Underbody Ultralight Aluminum Brace Kit

That's mostly complete, a few other prototype bits on the car including cooling scoop for fins of the engine oil pan, big shift knob we are having fun with, and more. Full build thread in our home forum CLICK HERE. I am going to work on getting 17x10 under the stock fenders, custom offset with no more tire than we are doing now. We make a 17x10 for NC Miata racing which is 5x114, got the factory making me an undrilled set we can custom machine for offset and 4x100. Same 245/45 tire that is pretty fast on 17x9 as you see here will be at least another second faster spread on 17x10.

Newest bit of fast stuff on the car is the rear Blackbird spoiler, for those who really push beyond the limit of the tires it allows a few more tenths of a second on typical autocross course, likely make this available to customers soon. I bought a second trunk lid and sent it to Moti at Blackbird so he could do the prototype, just four nuts to swap the lid with the spoiler. It's adjustable for AOA (angle of attack), I simply dial it lower for daily driving though I could swap back to stock trunk lid easily. Also have matching blackish hood that we plan to cut with Singular hood vents soon, which will pull a lot more air through the cooler stack and help front end aero a bit. Will keep working on making it faster!

·
124 Spider Vendor
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We don't assume an intake will help, we actually do testing. What our testing has found is no gains whatsoever for intake change until somewhere about 250 hp at the wheels or more. Did this testing on both Fiat and ND Miata (ND uses same intake box for bigger 2.0 liter motor). Did that testing with supercharger attached to the same box on ND with bigger 2.0 motor, and with turbo 2.0 and same intake box. The results of our testing are that the stock Mazda provided intake box flows really REALLY well. I know it is popular around here to change the intake box, and lots of folks just assume an aftermarket intake will flow better, but there is no data we can find to support a conclusion that changing the intake on this car gets anything positive. On the otherhand, I do like the EC V1 intake for cleaning up the stock intake a bit, it is just upgraded filter material in the stock box and smooth hose without the accordion for cleaner flow, and though I forgot to list it we do have that on this project. I think we also did the 4C ignition coils and I didn't previously mention those.

·
769 Posts
Great update, thanks for sharing. Brian at NGEN is a good guy and it is great to hear that the turbo is producing good results for you.

As for the intake, we came to the same conclusion. The aftermarket intakes look good but the gains are questionable on the Spider.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Brian, are you on the Street or Race springs on the Ohlins? And how comfortable on the street would you say they are?

·
124 Spider Vendor
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am on Race Springs, comfortable enough for me but I am 'extreme' as my wife likes to tell me daily. Sufficient ride quality is very subjective and I have learned that anyone not racing should be on the standard 'Road and Track' 7kg/4kg combo. And frankly even most folks doing just autocross and track days, not real door to door racing, should still be on our standard Road and Track combo of 7kg and 4kg.

The assumption that most folks make is that stiffer will be 'better' in some way, including faster for them on those 4 track days they do per year. That assumption may seem reasonable, it is not accurate in my experience, and certainly not the case unless everything else on the car has been taken to the max including camber and contact patch. Below is a Miata project I built years ago, dedicated race track Miata that crushed fields of Vipers and set track records that lasted a decade.... on the OHLINS with standard 7kg/4kg combo of springs! The lesson to get is that our standard OHLINS with 7kg/4kg can be VERY FAST, few people need more....and that will ride amazing.

Despite giving this same advice all the time there is always that kid that will ignore what I am writing, thinking he just MUST have the Race springs and that he will be faster as a result. Sadly I often find that kid at the next track day and he is upset that he is over 30 seconds slower per lap than my junior team member here and he doesn't understand why he is so slow....particularly when he bought the race kit. The answer is usually he bought too much with getting the Race kit, with much higher rates comes less compression under load and far less warning and feedback to a driver in training before the edge of adhesion is reached. Result is that he finds it difficult to learn the limits of the car because it is so far beyond his abilities. So, those of you still holding a racing license with half a dozen organizations get the Race kit, everyone else should enjoy the daily amazing ride quality of the standard 7kg/4kg combo which will also serve to be very fast and fun and communicative on track days.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am on Race Springs, comfortable enough for me but I am 'extreme' as my wife likes to tell me daily. Sufficient ride quality is very subjective and I have learned that anyone not racing should be on the standard 'Road and Track' 7kg/4kg combo. And frankly even most folks doing just autocross and track days, not real door to door racing, should still be on our standard Road and Track combo of 7kg and 4kg.

The assumption that most folks make is that stiffer will be 'better' in some way, including faster for them on those 4 track days they do per year. That assumption may seem reasonable, it is not accurate in my experience, and certainly not the case unless everything else on the car has been taken to the max including camber and contact patch. Below is a Miata project I built years ago, dedicated race track Miata that crushed fields of Vipers and set track records that lasted a decade.... on the OHLINS with standard 7kg/4kg combo of springs! The lesson to get is that our standard OHLINS with 7kg/4kg can be VERY FAST, few people need more....and that will ride amazing.

Despite giving this same advice all the time there is always that kid that will ignore what I am writing, thinking he just MUST have the Race springs and that he will be faster as a result. Sadly I often find that kid at the next track day and he is upset that he is over 30 seconds slower per lap than my junior team member here and he doesn't understand why he is so slow....particularly when he bought the race kit. The answer is usually he bought too much with getting the Race kit, with much higher rates comes less compression under load and far less warning and feedback to a driver in training before the edge of adhesion is reached. Result is that he finds it difficult to learn the limits of the car because it is so far beyond his abilities. So, those of you still holding a racing license with half a dozen organizations get the Race kit, everyone else should enjoy the daily amazing ride quality of the standard 7kg/4kg combo which will also serve to be very fast and fun and communicative on track days.
Thanks for that Brian, I may have to check out the standard kit then. I just ask because it's my daily, but I do track days about once a month. I'm on KW Clubsports right now, and they're amazing on the track, but not so much on these UK roads lol, so I was just looking for some alternatives.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Out of curiosity, does this car run exclusively on E85 now? Just wondering what the increase in performance was over pump gas (with the current mods)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Out of curiosity, does this car run exclusively on E85 now? Just wondering what the increase in performance was over pump gas (with the current mods)
I can answer that.
yes, it has to strictly run on E85, minimum requirement is E70, or else it wouldn’t run right, It would run rich and could be knocking or misfiring.

E85 gives you a higher anti knock resistance and helps with cooling a little bit. Means you can run more timing and boost. The difference in power maybe around 10-15% on boosted cars compare to same tune on 93 pump gas

Unless someone creates a whole table plus flex fuel kit to reprogram our ECU that would adjust everything and fuel sprayed based on the ethanol level.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts