Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Symptom: When i open the drivers door to exit, window automatically goes all the way down. with door open, window will not go up. when i shut the door, window is left open. if im sitting in the car and close the door, i can then activate the button and go back up. then open the door again to get out, repeat all the way down.

Additionally, when lowering or raising the convertible top, drivers window does not lower to 1" or half position like the passenger side does. Makes latching difficult.

Started: After having body and paint work done on my door and rear quarter, the body shop did a R&I for the drivers window. They must have not hooked up sensor or connection correctly, or didn't "train" the window?

Additionally the removal of the door panel has caused a rattle/buzz from the drivers speaker when the radio is on.

Any help here would be appreciated. looking to give good guidance to body shop on what they should be doing to correct it. If i take it to the dealer, i think they will probably not fix it under warranty because it was caused by the body shop.

Is this an issue of training or programming the window after reassembly, or a matter of incorrectly hooking up?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much. I'll give this a whirl today....fingers crossed

·
Registered
270 Posts
That sucks, I feel your pain. I'm still fixing things that the body shop messed up while fixing my car...

·
Registered
483 Posts
it sounds like the connections to the micro switches may have been reversed. when the door is opened, the window should drop a half inch or so and when the convertible latch is actuated, it should drop half way. if the electrical connectors were inadvertently reversed, this problem may occur. perhaps if you could get a copy of wiring schematics you could trace this down. or possibly disassemble the passenger door and do an air force comparison (an old army aviation term, look at another example and copy what you saw).......

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Body shop says it's programming and they can't do it, only dealer. Dealer says they can do it but it's 120 bucks and body shop should do it for free...

El paso fiat dealership has no body shop......ay yi yi

·
Registered
483 Posts
Body shop says it's programming and they can't do it, only dealer. Dealer says they can do it but it's 120 bucks and body shop should do it for free...

El paso fiat dealership has no body shop......ay yi yi
if it is part of the job to complete work the body shop did, in essence part of a repair which they did. it would be incumbent upon them to have it done. just because the source of the part or action is a dealer and they were contracted to complete the job, they are responsible to do it. if it involves you doing it, I would look to the body shop to pay for the service. to me it seems like you hired the shop to repair the fender and paint it, you would not accept the body shop accepting your payment for the job and handing you the car back without the fender saying it is a dealer only item, pay them for the whole job....... just my $ 0.02

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so I'm at 4.5 hours sitting at the dealership waiting for this to be fixed. with 0 communication to me. I've forced my way into the shop a couple of times despite the employees only sign. best I can get out of the technician is he can't get connected to the window control module. I have the EC tune but I flashed back to stock last night, so I don't think that's the issue. I'm getting hungry, my phone battery is 4%, and I'm giving up and taking the shuttle home. just wait for the argument I get in when they try to charge me

·
Registered
560 Posts
I thought that it's already documented here somewhere that the window controller is not accessed via the canbus (Obd port). Look up the postings about modifying the door switches.

so I'm at 4.5 hours sitting at the dealership waiting for this to be fixed. with 0 communication to me. I've forced my way into the shop a couple of times despite the employees only sign. best I can get out of the technician is he can't get connected to the window control module. I have the EC tune but I flashed back to stock last night, so I don't think that's the issue. I'm getting hungry, my phone battery is 4%, and I'm giving up and taking the shuttle home. just wait for the argument I get in when they try to charge me

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
eureka

I thought that it's already documented here somewhere that the window controller is not accessed via the canbus (Obd port). Look up the postings about modifying the door switches.

that would indeed explain why he can't find it. thanks. let me find that thread and do some more reading. appreciated.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
9.5 hours and they struck out. Tried to get me to pay them or give them insurance claim when they fixed nothing......I lost it when they said we will let you take the car. "You have to. It's my car"

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
One other thought - they could have damaged the window circuit board. Take a look at that. They should maybe buy you another one for the $150 cost and put it in.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Exactly...

One other thought - they could have damaged the window circuit board. Take a look at that. They should maybe buy you another one for the $150 cost and put it in.
I'll bet if they replace that window circuit board, this problem will be resolved...problem is they don't have any parts in stock for theses cars...:(

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'll bet if they replace that window circuit board, this problem will be resolved...problem is they don't have any parts in stock for theses cars...:(
Same one as in the Mazda - see the other thread and read about the possible mods. Should be available, although I'm not clear if the circuit board/switch comes as a unit.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They have ordered a window motor. Three weeks in, 3 trips to dealer to get this far. 4th trip this weekend

·
Registered
232 Posts
Have you tried reprogramming the windows. I did,some work on my door installing speakers, and I used this video to reprogram my windows, and it worked.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Not Sure.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you tried reprogramming the windows. I did,some work on my door installing speakers, and I used this video to reprogram my windows, and it worked.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/fy7PpGHexlM

Not Sure.
thanks not sure. i tried that window reset procedure several times in several ways, and so did the three service centers that i have been to.

no dice.

for kicks i'll repeat it with the passenger side first again but that doesn't seem to work.

the passenger side only bit is the only difference on the window reset procedure which is actually within the fiat manual itself.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think this was my 4th weekend at the Fiat dealership for this issue.

They wouldn't order the door motor until fiat approved it and until my car was in their shop with the panel off and window removed.

So after a week, they got the motor Wednesday, I take it in on Saturday 730 am.

I call them at noon, ask status. The car has panel off, window again removed. They didn't think to verify the part was right Wednesday through Saturday or today before tearing it apart again.

They have the passenger door motor instead of the driver side. 2 more hours to put it back together. Order the part again and wait 1 more week.

If they haven't diagnosed it right again, I'll be in to the dealer at least a 6th time...

Love the car, but my local fiat service is clueless.

We are going to have quite a row if they try to charge me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts