Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This to your spider?? Have you noticed any difference in heat transfer into the car.

Can you give me what was your cost...I assuming the two door windows and back done. Any legal issues..thanks.
;)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I did a medium tint, made a huge difference in heat. I also like the extra security as well. I think it looks great with the top up and even some nice sun relief top down. Would do it again

I didn't go as dark as I could have legally because I wasn't sure how it would look and feel with the top down

Cost, ug, I guess it was around $200 or so

·
Registered
291 Posts
This to your spider?? Have you noticed any difference in heat transfer into the car.

Can you give me what was your cost...I assuming the two door windows and back done. Any legal issues..thanks.
;)
I tinted mine back in Nov '16. I believe I did 20 and it definitely cools the car in the SoCal sun. The cost depends on the quality and type of material you use. Mine coat about $300, it was bundled in with a front clear bra and the heritage stripe plus a couple of other items.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
144 Posts
It really depends on what kind of tinting you get. My quotes for just the front windows were: $130 - $160 for tinting that darkens the window and provides UV protection. If you want heat transfer reduction as well, you go with ceramic tint, which raised the price to around $230.

Because I'm in Seattle, i decided to wait until after the summer as we really only have 3 months of regular sun. I want to drive it in overcast and see if the tinted windows will make the cabin feel smaller when it's overcast out...

If not I will get a light tint for UV protection.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Did max legal tint here in Aus (which absorbs a max of 30% light) and did it primarily for the look...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well yeah...but when

I'm kinda thinking there's no point in tinting to reduce sun in a convertible.....
You park in the sun with your black top up and windows up, the heat transfer from the side and rear windows is
Substantial, thus my goal is to try to reduce heat buildup in the interior, thus increasing the longevity of the plastic
And other parts in the interior...thanks.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Tinting is the first thing on my list, just as it is for every vehicle I get. It does not matter if it is a convertible or not since if you park the car with the top up outside the temperature inside will rise. Anyway, I always have mine done with 3M Film, which has a lifetime warranty, and go with the darkest, which is illegal here in Florida but everyone does it so unless you are speeding, etc. you most likely will not be stopped for having it. My local 3M Tinter charges $89 to do the back and side windows.

·
Registered
483 Posts
personally, I was never a fan of adding tint to a car. on usually there is a factory tinted glass installed in the vehicles, but fortunately it is a light tint. I have found most tints look good for a short time then get scratched or begin to fail, especially on defroster grids of the rear windows. once the tinting begins to fail, the outward view is horrible. also why would you want to hide while driving around in a cool ride like a spider. also you will be adding to the replacement cost of a new convertible top when it needs replacement.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Tint shops will be able to tell you what is legal or not - various by state (and country). I've added the Madness Autoworks sunshield and it really helped with heat in the car on the few occasions that I've had it sitting in the sun.

I don't think a properly/professionally applied modern tint has bubbling issues of 'home applied' inferior products. The place I had my wrap done also did tinting. It wasn't expensive (for a Subaru Outback) and doesn't take long. They may not have the templates for the Spider, though. I did not tint my windows, however, as didn't see it necessary for the times it will be out in the sun, and felt the sunshield was adequate.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
personally, I was never a fan of adding tint to a car. on usually there is a factory tinted glass installed in the vehicles, but fortunately it is a light tint. I have found most tints look good for a short time then get scratched or begin to fail, especially on defroster grids of the rear windows. once the tinting begins to fail, the outward view is horrible. also why would you want to hide while driving around in a cool ride like a spider. also you will be adding to the replacement cost of a new convertible top when it needs replacement.
All of my cars for the last 20 years have been professionally tinted. I've never had a problem with them bubbling or scratching.

·
Registered
73 Posts
All of my cars for the last 20 years have been professionally tinted. I've never had a problem with them bubbling or scratching.
Same for me and it really does help. Especially if you have the windshield done with the clear heat blocker stuff.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Living in SUNNY Florida, we can't live without window tent. I had Fifi done the 1st week I had her, all around. Also put a dark strip at the top of the windshield. Well worth the $100 ! No one can see me filling my pee jar....

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
I've tinted every car since moving to Texas. In addition to all the reasons already mentioned, it is additional UV protection for my skin when the top is up.
There have been no issues with defects since we use shops full of more expensive cars.
best regards
Pete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts