Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've had my 124 Abarth since the fall and have kept it in pretty pristine shape.....except the windshield. I now have 3 little chips in the glass. I can go a decade in another car with maybe getting a chip but in this car it's 3 in under 1/2 a year. Is there something about the height, angle, material, etc. of this car / windshield that attracts damage or am I just cursed with bad luck? None of these happened because I was obviously too close to another car or driving behind a truck full of gravel.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi....Started reading your thread thinking...ah, too close to cars in front, then finished reading it. Can only speak for myself of course but having almost always owned a sports car since the early 1970's I think that you have just had a bad run of luck. Had my Spider just on 12 months without incident and, as I said a variety of low sports cars and apart from having the odd truck throw up a stone and one weird and expensive rear windscreen smashing incident on one of my MGB GT's, parked up, came back...smashed ? no brick and nobody about, have never suffered so it looks like you have had some of mine....sorry ! Could it be maybe...somewhere where you park up and leave the Spider, near a ground works site, place where trucks carrying dirt pass your car, do you have friendly neighbours .....or, local small youngsters who think its funny to chuck pebbles about. The insurance should pay up I would hope but otherwise I would suggest leave the car parked near a CCTV camera, just so you have peace of mind. Good Luck from now on !
Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I live in the Phoenix valley and the insurance companies are mandated to offer a $0 deductible glass rider for all policies. Its nothing but crushed granite everywhere and windshields are a consumable part here. We did have one SUV a while back that went through 7 windshields in 5 years and we have replaced them on every car short of the Spider, it has plenty of dings and a few stars that have been filled already though.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Are you in Michigan, Cruise42? Portions of our roads spend far too much time airborne.

Separately, is that your dog? He/she looks like a bobtail. An enthusiastic Spider passenger?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I live in the Phoenix valley and the insurance companies are mandated to offer a $0 deductible glass rider for all policies. Its nothing but crushed granite everywhere and windshields are a consumable part here. We did have one SUV a while back that went through 7 windshields in 5 years and we have replaced them on every car short of the Spider, it has plenty of dings and a few stars that have been filled already though.
That sounds "Grim"......Pot holes are our nightmare here, just about everywhere and suspension/wheel damage sometimes severe, the only time we suffer "gravel rash " is when they finally get around to resurfacing the roads and that is well sign posted and usually safe within three days or so as the gravel settles into the tarmac beneath. It sounds like your vehicles must suffer body paint damage as much as windscreen damage.
I drove through Belgium some years back and thought those roads bad......For someone who takes pride in their vehicle, Spider or otherwise, it seems like the current Phoenix Valley is taking the enjoyment away, shame.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It's the desert. 330 days with no rain and crushed rock is the landscaping groundcover of choice. Paint and glass take a beating here for sure but 0 rust!

·
Registered
439 Posts
That sounds "Grim"......Pot holes are our nightmare here, just about everywhere and suspension/wheel damage sometimes severe, the only time we suffer "gravel rash " is when they finally get around to resurfacing the roads and that is well sign posted and usually safe within three days or so as the gravel settles into the tarmac beneath. It sounds like your vehicles must suffer body paint damage as much as windscreen damage.
I drove through Belgium some years back and thought those roads bad......For someone who takes pride in their vehicle, Spider or otherwise, it seems like the current Phoenix Valley is taking the enjoyment away, shame.
Or you can rationalize. Example: Those aren't potholes; they're slalom opportunities.

Wheel and tyre (like the spelling?) insurance is popular here.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Or you can rationalize. Example: Those aren't potholes; they're slalom opportunities.

Wheel and tyre (like the spelling?) insurance is popular here.
Proper English "Tyre"...;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello Cruise, I am going to 'side' with Brexit in regards to your windshield. It was just bad luck.

Think that in November while driving home, a tree fell down in front of me and I had not enough time to avoid the impact. I went straight through the crown / foliage. The windshield cracked but remained in place, without totally breaking or falling apart. That same night I managed to drive home and the day after I took the car to the workshop, driving with my head sticking out like Ace Ventura, but even with the severe damage and the countless pot holes I hit that morning, the glass arrived 'safe and sound', without shattering completely.

So in my experience yours it is just a 'bad glass' : I would ask for it to be replaced under warranty if still available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback and verifying that it's just a run of bad luck. The chips are small and don't warrant a replacement of the windshield. If I get any more or if they spider out into cracks, I'll have it replaced under warranty or have the insurance cover it.

@Chipshot: I live in California and the dog belongs to a cousin. The roads here are pretty crappy. We pay some of the highest taxes but have some of the worst public infrastructure.....

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Lord, I wish. Here, glass coverage is optional and priced out of this solar system. $500 deductable is the norm, if you can get it. In fact some insurers don't even offer glass coverage and you're forced to go to third party insurer for any coverage at all. I'm envious, and dreading the day I need to replace mine.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have never had a replacement windshield installed as well as the original at the factory.

I can identify with high taxes and crumbling infrastructure. At least in exchange we don't have front license plates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback and verifying that it's just a run of bad luck. The chips are small and don't warrant a replacement of the windshield. If I get any more or if they spider out into cracks, I'll have it replaced under warranty or have the insurance cover it.

@Chipshot: I live in California and the dog belongs to a cousin. The roads here are pretty crappy. We pay some of the highest taxes but have some of the worst public infrastructure.....
If it's just bad luck then we both have the same bad luck. I've been driving for 15 years and only ever had one ultra-tiny chip on a windshield. I've had my 124 Spider on the road for about 800 miles and I've gotten a pretty good crack, a large chip, and at least 5 or 6 small chips. Seems like every other day I discover a new chip. I expect I'll be searching for a new windshield before the year is out.

After the big crack I got (literally on the drive home from the dealer), I assumed I was following all the giantmongoloidbrodozerTexasTrucks© too closely, but even keeping that in mind I seem to be getting them all the same.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The spider is lower to the ground. Last I checked, rocks are lower to the ground, also. My truck was peppered with rock chips on the front lower. I do believe it is the nature of the beast, and luck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You want to become the 51st state, you need to get yer spelling in order, pilgrim. ;)
You will be telling me what "Colour" Spider is best next ! :geek:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Or dictating using the spelling "Spyder"?
That's an Italian thing. They can't make their minds up if it's Spider or Spyder, hence a 124 Spider and a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder

English is either Her Majesty's English, or wrong. Simple really.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
That sounds "Grim"......Pot holes are our nightmare here, just about everywhere and suspension/wheel damage sometimes severe...
Last time I was back in Scotland (last summer), I couldn't believe how bad the roads were. Austerity has to bite somewhere I guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts