Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having an issue getting parts? I have a horribly cracked windshield, and ordered 6 weeks ago. The new delivery date is early December. This is a windshield for crying out loud! HELP! Who can I call to find out what is going on? I am getting no where with my efforts.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have the same problem. SafeLite have had trouble getting a windshield, but have an appointment to get it replaced in December.

I understand this windshield is slightly different from the Miata windshield, too. But parts have been a problem for this car, yes. I believe the demand for certain parts was not anticipated; there's an inventory management problem, which would not be unusual for a new, small market, vehicle. It's a new car, and while it does share a lot of parts with the Mazda, a lot of them are 'Mopar' parts, the windshield being one of them.

·
Registered
430 Posts
So sad that support from Fiat sux. Having owned several Italian brand motorcycles it's the kind of support I've come to expect from Italian manufactures, shame really.

I understand the Spider windshield differs from the MX-5 in that it is more sound resistant, maybe thicker??

Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But the problem is nothing...nothing should take 10 weeks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would check and find out if the Miata's windshield will fit. the fiat windshield is supposed to be soundproofed or something like that, but if the Miata's works it should make no difference, both will be DOT approved....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same problem. SafeLite have had trouble getting a windshield, but have an appointment to get it replaced in December.

I understand this windshield is slightly different from the Miata windshield, too. But parts have been a problem for this car, yes. I believe the demand for certain parts was not anticipated; there's an inventory management problem, which would not be unusual for a new, small market, vehicle. It's a new car, and while it does share a lot of parts with the Mazda, a lot of them are 'Mopar' parts, the windshield being one of them.
Just as an FYI...I just had the windshield replaced on my Abarth 500 due to a stone chip. Anyway insurance uses Safelite and I have used Safelite before as they make it super easy by coming to the house or business etc. Anyway, Safelite gets a good amount of their windshields from a huge manufacturer out of Korea. My point is that it will not be St Gobain glass that is on most Alfa's, Fiats, Maserati's etc. I cannot tell the difference as it is identical and Safelite does a dynamite job, but I was just surprised to find that out while talking to the installer.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just as an FYI...I just had the windshield replaced on my Abarth 500 due to a stone chip. Anyway insurance uses Safelite and I have used Safelite before as they make it super easy by coming to the house or business etc. Anyway, Safelite gets a good amount of their windshields from a huge manufacturer out of Korea. My point is that it will not be St Gobain glass that is on most Alfa's, Fiats, Maserati's etc. I cannot tell the difference as it is identical and Safelite does a dynamite job, but I was just surprised to find that out while talking to the installer.
having previously owned an alfa spider, I would be happy not to receive an original equipment windshield. mine which was on my car had white along the edges in some places where the plastic between the glass sheets has discolored and become opaque. it almost appeared to be delaminating. given the car was 15 years old at the time I just accepted it as a price it to have lived outside in the new Orleans heat for it's whole life...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am on month 4 of waiting. If it wasn't a free windshield from the dealer I would have gone with someone else by now.
There is no one else. There is no aftermarket windshield.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mr. Marchionne's office responded to my plea, had someone intervene and I should have my new windscreen installed this morning. Can't ask for much more than that.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Reactions: Roadscum

·
Registered
660 Posts
It's good to see that someone is actually paying attention to the surveys!

It is also good to see that Sergio still cares about Fiat USA and it's customers. For the last couple of years it looked like they were letting Fiat wither and die on the vine here in North America. Perhaps things will change.

Reactions: Roadscum and Mike34

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't have it handy, but I pulled it easily from the internet.

Thanks for the Advice. I too have just written a letter to FCA CEO. Next to a congresswoman this is the highest I have gone to solve a problem. I hope for a good outcome. The service and parts for the Fiat brand it Utah is subpar at best.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Not to defend Fiat/FCA, but from a practical standpoint, this is a small run car in a niche market. This isn't exactly an F150 seller.

As such, while certain spares requirements can be predicted, as more cars are sold, there will be certain failures which outweigh the spares capacity. With a mix of Mazda and Mopar parts, and the unique body panels, it can be a logistical nightmare.

I'm still waiting on a windshield, but the two other - obscure - parts I ordered from a Chrysler dealership, on separate occasions, were there in 2 days.

Which brings up my next point, while anecdotal, the parts guy was not happy about ordering Fiat (actually, Mopar!) parts, and had to really push them to go through the process. It's possible that there are internal upsets that have caused a mis-balance; Chrysler was in the dumpster, Fiat bailed them out. You still have the workers that, in part, contributed to the failure of Chrysler, and now have the Europeans dictating how things should work; Chrysler doesn't like it. Speculation, of course, but it contributes to an undeserved bad representation of what modern day Fiat actually is.

Reactions: tlrominger
1 - 18 of 18 Posts