Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
Anyone have experience with windshield protective films? Or the windshield protective coatings or wipes? I just had a windshield replacement done. Months wait for parts. The shop owner suggested I look into having a protective film installed due to the scarcity of the parts on our spiders. He said they don’t always work but they do help. But it’s not something they do there.
Does anyone know anything about these products. Do they work? Do they distort? How long do they last? How much to have installed.

I watched an episode of jay lenos garage where he had film applied to his macclarren. Covered the hood and front and windshield. It obviously the installer was in California. I’m in Massachusetts.

any help or knowledge would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,344 Posts
Interesting, I was under the impression that any modifications to the windscreen was illegal. I would look into the legality of it first before someone takes your money and your left having to take it off down the road. Also all of your concerns are very valid and I too would like to know more about this protective film. Mainly because if I drive with friends the rocks leave little tiny pits all over the windscreen and it looks like there is rain drops on it. Very frustrating and disheartening to know they will never go away now.

·
Registered
343 Posts
How it Works
Glass windshields have an inherent problem – they break easily. Since glass is naturally brittle, it's pretty bad at absorbing impact from things like stones that come flying at it while you're driving.

A windshield protection film works because it’s made of a material that is softer than glass. This means that it does a much better job of absorbing the impact from incoming objects and distributing that force to stop the glass from breaking (within reason of course– a windshield protection film will NOT stop a giant boulder from smashing through your windshield...).

Windshield protection films are usually made up of three layers:

Slope Font Triangle Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
143 Posts
I guess so long as you don't ever drive in the rain and use your wipers it may stay transparent? What happens when the coating does 'çhip'? Does it need to be replaced?
In Australia, for about an extra $5/month on top of our standard insurance, we can option 1 free windscreen replacement per year. A no-brainer considering the 3 trim pieces are replaced at the same time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes we have what’s called comprehensive insurance in the USA. Most people have it. Protects against acts of god and accidents like windshield repairs or running into a bear or deer. The windshield replacement cost me nothing. The repairer thinking was since the parts are so scarce the car could be out of service for a long time waiting for parts. He said parts are available from Mazda. It the insurance company probably would not allow them as that would be in effect changing the design by not using the right parts. That’s why he suggested it.

ive Been reading about these films. I am worried they will distort. But there are some wipe on options that seem to work well in tests. Idk.Was thinking in my whole life of driving I’ve needed 3 windshield replacements. Probably just not worry about it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yes we have what’s called comprehensive insurance in the USA. Most people have it. Protects against acts of god and accidents like windshield repairs or running into a bear or deer. The windshield replacement cost me nothing. The repairer thinking was since the parts are so scarce the car could be out of service for a long time waiting for parts. He said parts are available from Mazda. It the insurance company probably would not allow them as that would be in effect changing the design by not using the right parts. That’s why he suggested it.

ive Been reading about these films. I am worried they will distort. But there are some wipe on options that seem to work well in tests. Idk.Was thinking in my whole life of driving I’ve needed 3 windshield replacements. Probably just not worry about it.
Are you aware, and if not you should be, that your spider's windshield is acoustic glass? Completely different from standard auto glass and what Mazda uses in the MX5. Also the question to ask: what if any effect would the addition of this protective layer have on the already thicker than normal acoustic glass?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am aware of if the acoustic glass. Had to make the auto glass folks aware of it myself. That’s why in the end they had to use an oem mopar replacement. There was nothing acoustic available aftermarket. Thankfully thanks to many online I found about about the acoustic glass ahead of time. These cars are just rare enough in the USA that they we owners need to be on top of things for these service people who might not know.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mopar Front Windshield Glass (68315720AA), (68315719AA) MSRP: $1,870.00
Replacement (aftermarket) available... Pilkington? I am surprised that Fuyao auto glass doesn't offer a replacement windshield for 124 Spider.

Lamipane GGN
DOT 23
Nippon Safety
AS1 NSG M31A
//
E6 43R-010445

In Europe several companies offer replacements for windshields for 124 Spider (2016-2020) from $100-$400 USD. We are ripped off with Mopar MSRP: $1,870.00

GLAVISTA 101334 replacement windshield/windscreen costs around $100 USD wholesale. Glavista (former Guardian Automotive) is Spain based Autoglass supplier.
Autoglass

EUROCODE: 3377AGAMV
OE NUMBER: 6000613219
GLAVISTA NUMBER: 101334

Rectangle Font Automotive lighting Technology Electronic device

Product Font Screenshot Parallel Design

Laminated safety glass (LSG), Acoustic Glass (noise reduction) All under $400 USD

SAINT-GOBAIN 4705250201
SAINT-GOBAIN 4705250205
SAINT-GOBAIN 2203600200
SAINT-GOBAIN 2203600204

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

"First of all, Fiat likes to pretend its 124 Spider windshield is acoustic and the ND’s isn’t, but the ND definitely has an acoustic windshield too.

On the ND, there are two windshields... the one for Sport & Club trims and the one for GT trims. The difference is the bracket for the LDW camera and rain-sensor window on the GT windshield.

I am not familiar with the Fiat trims, but I didn’t think the Fiat got either of those features. Therefore, I believe the Fiat only has ONE windshield design across all trims. That would be the same as the ND Sport & Club trim windshield."

Eyewear Rectangle Table Automotive exterior Bag

Acoustic Windshields 101
Acoustic glass windshields are slowly becoming the standard in newer vehicles, and yet most people don’t even know what they are. Here’s everything you need to know about acoustic windshields.

At first glance, an acoustic windshield looks just like any other glass windshield. It works to protect everyone in the vehicle by keeping out any debris that your vehicle might encounter during your drives.
However, acoustic windshields also have the added responsibility of reducing the penetration of outside noise. To achieve this, they are specifically manufactured with sound-dampening properties. They are also sometimes called acoustic glass.

What Makes An Acoustic Windshield Different?
Normal car windshields are made of several layers of shatter-resistant laminated safety glass. These laminated glass layers are typically held together by an internal layer of polyvinyl butyral (PVB), which keeps the glass bonded together and prevents it from breaking apart into smaller pieces. Acoustic windshields utilize a special type of insulating “acoustic PVB” compound that is inserted in between two pieces of laminated glass.

How Does An Acoustic Windshield Work?
The acoustic vinyl layer added to these windshields works as an insulator. This means it interrupts the normal flow of acoustic vibration. Upon hitting the PVB layer, some of these acoustic vibrations are absorbed by the material and dispersed as heat energy.

This effectively reduces the amount of sound that passes through the glass and into the vehicle. The PVB layer is intended to work against frequencies between 1500 Hz and 5000 Hz.

Cloud Azure Font Sky Banknote

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 Abarth
112 Posts
Speaking of the rain sensor....

The metal mounting bracket on the windshield has a square hole in the middle for the gel like sensor to sit. The bracket has four metal hooks on each corner that slide into slots on the sensor.to secure it against the windshield. For the life of me, I couldn't get the sensor to mount correctly. Turns out, the top edge of the sensor slides out to allow it to mount to the hooks. Then you push the plastic clip (edge of the sensor) back into place which locks it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
(y) sounds good to me. Maybe I should buy a few and ship them to the US? ;)
It would make perfect sense to get a crate of these GLAVISTA 101334 replacement windshields/windscreens which costs around $100 USD wholesale. Not sure if these Euro specs windshields come with DOT markings.

Saint-Gobain Glass makes 4 different types of laminated safety glass (LSG), Acoustic Glass (noise reduction) for 124 Spiders 2016 and up, and all under 300 British Pound (GBP). Saint-Gobain has a rich history of creating the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles centuries ago,

SAINT-GOBAIN 4705250201
SAINT-GOBAIN 4705250205
SAINT-GOBAIN 2203600200
SAINT-GOBAIN 2203600204

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm currently waiting for a windshield replacement. Dealer has two windshields listed, one for the sensors and one for base models w/o sensors. The sensor one is available, the base model is not. So, I wait.

Mike

·
Registered
2018 Lusso, Magneto Bronze, GFB DV, GWR System One with crosspipe
86 Posts
I'm currently waiting for a windshield replacement. Dealer has two windshields listed, one for the sensors and one for base models w/o sensors. The sensor one is available, the base model is not. So, I wait.

Mike
If this is an insurance claim, let us know how much of the cost was covered.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Going back to the query posed in the OP, it seems films are a "maybe if would be suitable for you" kind of thing.

Apparently there are two main versions of these produced and sold now. Different materials and different lamination layers associated with each product. Not something I can even consider applying as windshield film is illegal in the province I live in (Alberta). But for those that do use them, it seems that the following caveats apply:
  • they don't prevent all windshield damage, as some chipping may still occur
  • if you do get a chip, repair of that chip becomes more difficult (and costly) as the film has to be removed first
  • it will abrade from wiper use, so expectation is that it be replaced on an annual basis

Based on all that, it might be a good option for Jay and vehicles he drives a few hours per year, but for most folks a decent glass coverage policy is a far better and more economical solution. Personally, several years ago I purchased a windshield chip and crack repair kit (similar to the ones used by folks that set up those awnings in parking lots to do chip repairs), and it came with materials and tools that would see me through 100 chip repairs. So I do my own repairs, and have done a few for friends as well. The kit even came with a piece of damaged glass so you could practice on repairs of different types of chip (bullseye, half moon, radial cracks, etc.).

This is the kit I purchased: Windscreen Crack Repair Kit, Windshield Crack Repair Kit, but you can also purchase "one off" kits made by outfits like RainX in your local automotive supply stores or places like WalMart.

Reactions: Scorpius
1 - 19 of 19 Posts