Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you get a chip in your windshield take care of it right away. I recently had a rock chip at the edge and it spread too quickly to have it repaired. The bill for a new windshield and trim was over $2200. I find this hard to believe but I did request an OEM windshield and the insurance company went along with it. I was able to price this these items for hundreds of dollar less but the glass shop and insurance company really were not interested. Removing the trim cannot be done without breaking a few of the snaps. In my opinion these snaps are replaceable and I have ordered a few from a Chinese company.
DPP_1958.JPG
DPP_1958.JPG
DPP_1958.JPG

·
Registered
219 Posts
Same experience as yours. But what are you saying about the snaps? Your expensive bill did not include the plastic pins?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new ones they installed had the plastic pins attached. The ones they removed and gave to me had the missing and broken pins.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you get a chip in your windshield take care of it right away. I recently had a rock chip at the edge and it spread too quickly to have it repaired. The bill for a new windshield and trim was over $2200. I find this hard to believe but I did request an OEM windshield and the insurance company went along with it. I was able to price this these items for hundreds of dollar less but the glass shop and insurance company really were not interested. Removing the trim cannot be done without breaking a few of the snaps. In my opinion these snaps are replaceable and I have ordered a few from a Chinese company. View attachment 76479 View attachment 76479 View attachment 76479 View attachment 76479
Did they replace all three garnishes? That’s what I had to do. Every single clip broke which is why these trims have to be replaced. It’s ridiculous. It’s wise to include windscreen excess as I had to pay the first $900. I have since upgraded.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They didn't at first even though I told them they were going to have to. The local glass company I used was great and immediately ordered the garnish panels (which only took five days to arrive). Safelite was not going to use a Mopar windshield. I had a $300 deductable.

·
Premium Member
2019 Abarth
16 Posts
I ordered the garnish set and waited until delivery before scheduling with Safelite. I had a Fuyao glass windshield installed and everything went back together well. He destroyed the old clips which I expected. Everything is great and I would recommend both Safelite and Fuyao glass. I would replace the old garnish with new as a necessary expense.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
I ordered the garnish set and waited until delivery before scheduling with Safelite. I had a Fuyao glass windshield installed and everything went back together well. He destroyed the old clips which I expected. Everything is great and I would recommend both Safelite and Fuyao glass. I would replace the old garnish with new as a necessary expense.
I have read several times that the OEM glass is thicker as a sound deadening component. I'm wondering if that's true (or not), and if true, if 3rd party windshield glass for these vehicles is manufactured to the same thickness spec. The reason I question it, is because if the glass is thinner then that would suggest a fitment and potential leak consideration. If anyone one the forum can confirm this one way or the other, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't need to replace my glass (yet), but I want to be prepared for when the time comes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts