Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you get a chip in your windshield take care of it right away. I recently had a rock chip at the edge and it spread too quickly to have it repaired. The bill for a new windshield and trim was over $2200. I find this hard to believe but I did request an OEM windshield and the insurance company went along with it. I was able to price this these items for hundreds of dollar less but the glass shop and insurance company really were not interested. Removing the trim cannot be done without breaking a few of the snaps. In my opinion these snaps are replaceable and I have ordered a few from a Chinese company.
Jeans Circle
Jeans Circle
Jeans Circle

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you get a chip in your windshield take care of it right away. I recently had a rock chip at the edge and it spread too quickly to have it repaired. The bill for a new windshield and trim was over $2200. I find this hard to believe but I did request an OEM windshield and the insurance company went along with it. I was able to price this these items for hundreds of dollar less but the glass shop and insurance company really were not interested. Removing the trim cannot be done without breaking a few of the snaps. In my opinion these snaps are replaceable and I have ordered a few from a Chinese company. View attachment 76479 View attachment 76479 View attachment 76479 View attachment 76479
Did they replace all three garnishes? That’s what I had to do. Every single clip broke which is why these trims have to be replaced. It’s ridiculous. It’s wise to include windscreen excess as I had to pay the first $900. I have since upgraded.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They didn't at first even though I told them they were going to have to. The local glass company I used was great and immediately ordered the garnish panels (which only took five days to arrive). Safelite was not going to use a Mopar windshield. I had a $300 deductable.

·
Premium Member
2019 Abarth
127 Posts
I ordered the garnish set and waited until delivery before scheduling with Safelite. I had a Fuyao glass windshield installed and everything went back together well. He destroyed the old clips which I expected. Everything is great and I would recommend both Safelite and Fuyao glass. I would replace the old garnish with new as a necessary expense.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth, fully loaded from the factory, with just a wee bit of aftermarket mods.
3,410 Posts
I ordered the garnish set and waited until delivery before scheduling with Safelite. I had a Fuyao glass windshield installed and everything went back together well. He destroyed the old clips which I expected. Everything is great and I would recommend both Safelite and Fuyao glass. I would replace the old garnish with new as a necessary expense.
I have read several times that the OEM glass is thicker as a sound deadening component. I'm wondering if that's true (or not), and if true, if 3rd party windshield glass for these vehicles is manufactured to the same thickness spec. The reason I question it, is because if the glass is thinner then that would suggest a fitment and potential leak consideration. If anyone one the forum can confirm this one way or the other, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't need to replace my glass (yet), but I want to be prepared for when the time comes.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth, fully loaded from the factory, with just a wee bit of aftermarket mods.
3,410 Posts
Bump re: OEM versus 3rd party glass thickness... anyone have insight on this?

I have read several times that the OEM glass is thicker as a sound deadening component. I'm wondering if that's true (or not), and if true, if 3rd party windshield glass for these vehicles is manufactured to the same thickness spec. The reason I question it, is because if the glass is thinner then that would suggest a fitment and potential leak consideration. If anyone one the forum can confirm this one way or the other, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't need to replace my glass (yet), but I want to be prepared for when the time comes.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't think it is possible to remove all the clips without breaking any of them. However, I don't see why the clips cannot be replaced.
If the clips are replacable, would be nice to source and order some just in case…!

·
Registered
739 Posts
My windshield is getting replaced in a couple weeks. It is being done by a body shop with Mopar parts. The insurance went along with that.

I assume that the outside trim will be replaced because it is shown in the estimate.

So, I am considering having the shop paint the outside trim to match the red in the mirror caps and front lip, instead of the gunmetal that came from the factory.

What do you think?

·
Registered
226 Posts
anyway to take the panels off without breaking them before they repair the windshield?
There is a way. I have the diagrams saved to my computer at home, I'll post them when I'm home from work. Most installation places don't want to waste their time taking the interior bits apart and carefully removing the clips from there, though, so they just rip the old trim panels out and break things. But it's absolutely possible, and a few people on the Facebook pages can attest to that. If/when I break my windscreen, I'll likely take the paneling off myself before the glass installer gets there.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Like @zxtwou2 said, it’s possible. When I had mine done, they had the interior trim off and tools up in the frame to remove some clips (the installer said it was similar to a Mercedes, and a real pain to get off).

Reactions: Daziner-1959

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bump re: OEM versus 3rd party glass thickness... anyone have insight on this?
I recently had my windshield replaced. The Mopar windshield glass was available, but the glass shop recommended I use the Pilkington windshield instead as they thought highly of their replacement glass products. It is a sound deadening replacement, just like the OEM Mopar. I had called the large Mazda dealer nearby to see where they sent their cars for windshield repair and that is how I found this independent shop. They had experience replacing MX5 windshields and all went well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did they have to replace the trim? There have been several instances where the trim clips were broken and they tried to glue the trim panels back on. Many went flying off into the night.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did they have to replace the trim? There have been several instances where the trim clips were broken and they tried to glue the trim panels back on. Many went flying off into the night.
I discussed that with the service manager prior to letting them proceed with replacement. He told me that some of the clips on the side garnishes will get probably get broken. From experience they have found a way to replace the broken ones with a larger backed clip. Now, whether or not this holds up over time is yet to be seen, but so far so good. I checked with my insurance agent, and should they fly off, I would be covered on the replacements. The shop I used did accidentally get some windshield adhesive on my sun visor, which caused the warning label to discolor. They pointed it out and ordered a replacement out of their pocket - $150.
On a side note, I was the one who broke the windshield while installing a strut tower brace I picked up from Redline Parts. While putting the plastic windshield wiper cowling back on, I leaned on the bottom portion of the windshield with the palm of my hand. I felt it give and a crack went all the way up. The stock windshield is like an eggshell, I didn't apply that much pressure on it. Live and learn.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I discussed that with the service manager prior to letting them proceed with replacement. He told me that some of the clips on the side garnishes will get probably get broken. From experience they have found a way to replace the broken ones with a larger backed clip. Now, whether or not this holds up over time is yet to be seen, but so far so good. I checked with my insurance agent, and should they fly off, I would be covered on the replacements. The shop I used did accidentally get some windshield adhesive on my sun visor, which caused the warning label to discolor. They pointed it out and ordered a replacement out of their pocket - $150.
On a side note, I was the one who broke the windshield while installing a strut tower brace I picked up from Redline Parts. While putting the plastic windshield wiper cowling back on, I leaned on the bottom portion of the windshield with the palm of my hand. I felt it give and a crack went all the way up. The stock windshield is like an eggshell, I didn't apply that much pressure on it. Live and learn.
That's an excellent "lessons learned" and thank you for sharing your experience. Good for all of us to know, as I could easily see myself doing something similar. I also appreciate the insight you were able to provide regarding replacement glass. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts