Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's an excellent "lessons learned" and thank you for sharing your experience. Good for all of us to know, as I could easily see myself doing something similar. I also appreciate the insight you were able to provide regarding replacement glass. Thank you.
I also did some research on Pilkington Glass as I had never heard of the company. I was surprised at how large a company it is, and all the types of glass they provide not only to the automotive market but also architectural, and technical glass. Based in Tokyo, they claim to be the largest global automotive glass manufacturer.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well I have found this thread a bit too late ! My windscreen was replaced in March, and yesterday my drivers side trim started flapping in the wind on the motorway.
On inspection, the middle clip of the three holding it down is missing. :mad:

Now need to go back to AutoWindscreens and ask them what they say about it. Will try and see if my Abarth / Fiat dealer has an instruction sheet for screen replacement process, that the installer should have followed, to back up my claim of poor workmanship...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Looks like they had re-used some clips, which really should have been replaced - They put 2 new new clips in and it's all good.

I did stand there and watch the process and the trim itself is still in good condition, in spite of them bending and twisting it about in place to investigate and replace clips.

Crisis averted (?)

Reactions: GuidoVeloce

·
Premium Member
2019 Abarth
89 Posts
Bump re: OEM versus 3rd party glass thickness... anyone have insight on this?
I cannot confirm whether my aftermarket windshield is thicker like the OEM glass, however, the MX-5 glass had a different part number and was cheaper than the Spider equivalent. I can tell you that there isn't any uptick in noise while driving, and no air or water leaks either.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I just added glass coverage today as well ($5.30 / 6 months). Thanks to this thread, I investigated to see what coverage I had, and it was just the standard $500 comprehensive deductible. Hope to never need the glass replaced though.

Cal,
According to Redline Auto Parts (they did a teardown analysis of Miata + Spider):
Windshield: The windshield on the Fiat is apparently thicker than the one on the Miata. We have yet to verify on our own if they are cross-compatible, but would be willing to guess that they are as long as the corresponding windshield seal is used as well.

Plastic Windshield Surround Trim (3 pieces): Physically the same, although the Fiat ones come in more diverse colors. These are directly compatible, but it's nearly impossible to remove the trims (the center one mainly) and keep their mounting tabs intact for reuse.
It doesn't sound like they actually measured the glass thickness though.

I did some more research, and modified my article today to reflect my findings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a way. I have the diagrams saved to my computer at home, I'll post them when I'm home from work. Most installation places don't want to waste their time taking the interior bits apart and carefully removing the clips from there, though, so they just rip the old trim panels out and break things. But it's absolutely possible, and a few people on the Facebook pages can attest to that. If/when I break my windscreen, I'll likely take the paneling off myself before the glass installer gets there.
Can you please post those diagrams? They broke all of my clips yesterday when they replaced the windshield. Can new clips be purchased? Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider
174 Posts
Can you please post those diagrams? They broke all of my clips yesterday when they replaced the windshield. Can new clips be purchased? Thanks.
Closely inspect the trim pieces. You may find stress lines that discolor and weaken the trim. The clips may have broken and there could be damage to the pockets that hold the clips.

When it's all said and done you might be better getting new trim. Plus, you can pick a new color if you want.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
First of all the insurance company should pay for new trim. If you have to pay you can purchase new clips and there is no need to spend the $300 for new trim. In my case I purchased a variety of 200 clips from Ali Express for about $5.00 although if time is important your local auto store often carries clips.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My windshield and all of the trim was replaced with all Mopar parts by an autobody shop.

The insurance did not cover it under my glass coverage, but they did cover it under comprehensive. It cost me the deductible. The whole job was around $2200. I was happy to pay the deductible to get the job done correctly.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat Arbath 124 Spider
11 Posts
Well I have found this thread a bit too late ! My windscreen was replaced in March, and yesterday my drivers side trim started flapping in the wind on the motorway.
On inspection, the middle clip of the three holding it down is missing. :mad:

Now need to go back to AutoWindscreens and ask them what they say about it. Will try and see if my Abarth / Fiat dealer has an instruction sheet for screen replacement process, that the installer should have followed, to back up my claim of poor workmanship...
What was the outcome of this? Had my windshield replaced just last week, now worried. We will see how it holds up.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What was the outcome of this? Had my windshield replaced just last week, now worried. We will see how it holds up.
Since this post I have had no further issues so fingers crossed this is done with - Until the next stone!
Looks like they had re-used some clips, which really should have been replaced - They put 2 new new clips in and it's all good.

I did stand there and watch the process and the trim itself is still in good condition, in spite of them bending and twisting it about in place to investigate and replace clips.

Crisis averted (?)

·
Registered
2017 Fiat Arbath 124 Spider
11 Posts
Since this post I have had no further issues so fingers crossed this is done with - Until the next stone!
Seriously! I bought from a non FIAT dealer and luckily the law in this state says that if there are any chips and cracks on the drivers side it must be replaced before selling. It was littered with chips.

Sadly it was replaced with a non mopar window, but the vehicle is so new to me I never got use to the previous window so I can not say if it is any louder now. Guess a positive is if there is a problem with the clips I can hit up the dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What a nightmare changing windshield is. I got a ding from something. Have full glass coverage. But glass company said trim pieces best be replaced. Holy shit those buggers are expensive! 700 for the top one and nearly as much for each side. And only 3 in the country in my color!!! But insurance company covering it all. I’ll be keeping the old ones. How in hell can they cost so much! So now I’m waiting for them all to come in. Told 3 to 6 weeks. Fortunately they weee able to fill the ding temporarily so I can drive.

·
Premium Member
2019 Abarth
89 Posts
The windshield garnish comes in a set of all three pieces for about $350. Buy them separate like you're doing is crazy expensive. I almost bought them like you in 2020 before I found the complete set much cheaper. Since insurance is paying, I guess it doesn't matter at this point. I wouldn't bother saving the old ones as they will be broken anyways. .

21 - 40 of 48 Posts