Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one that cant clean the windshield ? I've tried just about everything and shortly later the windshield shows streaks and smudges. I live in coastal Florida but don't have this problem on any of my other cars. Maybe it will get better this week. A Truck just threw a rock through my windshield last night. It gets replaced Friday. By the way a new windshield costs $1,400.00 USD.

·
Retired Moderator
669 Posts
At least its a part they can get...also the windshield bezel will have to be removed to do the work...quite often they will damage these pieces during removal...I have heard of installation companies ordering these pieces against insurance for the job...you might want to check with them...

·
Registered
418 Posts
I recommend Stoner's Invisible Glass for cleaning, using crumpled up newspapers. I prefer the aerosol cans for easier application.

My 124 had Gtechniq Crystal Serum installed a ways back and they did a glass coating as well. A detail shop could probably do just your glass (windshield, windows, rear window, headlights, taillights, mirrors) for you for $1-200. You can look up GTechniq authorized installers near you, or any quality detailer will be able to recommend something similar or better.

For less of an investment, all my cars also get PIAA Super Silicone wiper blades, which ship with a prep wipe for the glass. A very thorough cleaning with Stoner's, application of the prep wipe, and then installing fresh blades keeps all of my cars' windshields clean and beading up water for a long time.

Better wiper blades ensure more complete contact across the entire blade and glass. OEM wipers are light and when they get lifted off the glass small amounts at speed, they leave streaks of water behind. I highly recommend a wiper upgrade.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I checked out the PIAA Super Silicone website and did not see the spider listed. Anyone have any additional information on what size fits the spider?

·
Registered
116 Posts
For me it was much much easier once I clayed the windshield. Since doing that and putting a good sealant on it I just use some basic glass cleaner without ammonia and a bit of glass boost/diluted sealant. Gets it done every time.

For the interior I just use a non-ammonia based cleaner and go over it at the end with something like Adam's brilliant glaze then polish it off.

Reactions: Jon

·
Registered
476 Posts
inside i use a standard glass cleaner and then use rubbing alcohol lightly sprayed onto a cloth and wipe down window.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Using a wet Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser" does a great job in degreasing the interior of your windshield. Follow this up with your favorite glass cleaner and you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
This is a great thread with excellent replies. Thanks to all...the extreme streaking on the windshield totally mystified me. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
For me it was much much easier once I clayed the windshield. Since doing that and putting a good sealant on it I just use some basic glass cleaner without ammonia and a bit of glass boost/diluted sealant. Gets it done every time.

For the interior I just use a non-ammonia based cleaner and go over it at the end with something like Adam's brilliant glaze then polish it off.
I was thinking of using a clay bar on my windshield.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've always used RainX on my Classic Fiats and not-quite-so-classic Jeep Grand Cherokee. RainX means it can be an absolute torrential downpour where wipers just toss the water back and forth across the windshield and you're driving along with your wipers off and you can see very clearly.

Don't use the RainX anti-fog stuff on the inside of the windshield - it's not worth the cost.

·
Super Moderator
1,301 Posts
I recommend Stoner's Invisible Glass for cleaning, using crumpled up newspapers. I prefer the aerosol cans for easier application.

My 124 had Gtechniq Crystal Serum installed a ways back and they did a glass coating as well. A detail shop could probably do just your glass (windshield, windows, rear window, headlights, taillights, mirrors) for you for $1-200. You can look up GTechniq authorized installers near you, or any quality detailer will be able to recommend something similar or better.

For less of an investment, all my cars also get PIAA Super Silicone wiper blades, which ship with a prep wipe for the glass. A very thorough cleaning with Stoner's, application of the prep wipe, and then installing fresh blades keeps all of my cars' windshields clean and beading up water for a long time.

Better wiper blades ensure more complete contact across the entire blade and glass. OEM wipers are light and when they get lifted off the glass small amounts at speed, they leave streaks of water behind. I highly recommend a wiper upgrade.
Jon I agree with your recommendation on treating the glaze surfaces, but not with Gtechniq. My wife had our S60 ceramic coated with them, and the warranty is useless now that they've been abandoned in central Texas. The main office in the UK is useless. We're on our own as far as taking care of this finish. I never realized Gtechniq was so poorly supported in my area.
Best Regards
Pete

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for the tips ! I also noticed that this windshield is a bugger to keep clear. I'll try the clay bar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts