Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The great news I finally got my windshield replaced. Not so great news I looked at it this morning and noticed the trim isn't lines up quite right. Dose anyone here have any insight on the removal and installation of the windshield trim. I can take it back to the dealer but if there isn't to much involved it would be much easier to do myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Go to moparonlineparts.com and look for windshield pillar trim. There will be installation instructions there. I replaced my gunmetal trim for piano black. It’s a PITA to replace. Hopefully the instructions help you straighten yours out.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
@depotdan

didn't you mention that the clips break easily? I wonder if thats the case here. (hope not).
@tlrominger did they reuse or replace the trim?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@depotdan

didn't you mention that the clips break easily? I wonder if thats the case here. (hope not).
@tlrominger did they reuse or replace the trim?
I am 100 percent sure the dealer reused them. They were not going to fork out any more money than they had to since they were the one's who broke the windshield in the first place.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
The exterior trim is over $200.00. Care needs to be taken in disassembly or damage will happen. The service center may have better clip removal tools than I bought at Harbor Freight. Some of my clips broke during removal. No problem as they are easily replaced. The problem I had with the original trim is one of the clip pockets tore. If I were to reinstall that one, I don't think it would have seated well. If a well placed fist bump doesn't put your trim back in place, I would take it back to the dealer. Their error not yours. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
This has been an ongoing issue reported by our cousins over at the Miata forum for quite some time. Our cars have a fussy trim installation procedure that is easily mishandled by the so-called Technicians who R&R the windshields.
This is _their_ problem, not yours.
Good luck.
Pete

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm destined to have my windshield replaced, tomorrow. This is one of the things which unnerves me, a bit. Safelite will be doing it. Hopefully, they are a bit better than your average mechanic dealing with fussy windshields.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I'm destined to have my windshield replaced, tomorrow. This is one of the things which unnerves me, a bit. Safelite will be doing it. Hopefully, they are a bit better than your average mechanic dealing with fussy windshields.
I would discuss the job with the tech prior to his starting. While not hard, your car shouldn’t be his learning experience. The job involves removing all of the interior and exterior trim. If he has done a ND, then he’s good to go. If something breaks, it’s a couple of weeks to get a replacement. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Just had the windshield done, yesterday, by Safelite.

They did an excellent job, and took them just over 2 hours. I looked through the manual for windshield replacement - it's not a trivial job, just getting to the windshield. One of the biggest problems was the A-pillar exterior trim; it has some double sided tape in addition to clips holding it on. They used a genuine Mopar windshield (made in Japan).

The manual indicates that the interior trim needs taking off first then the exterior trim. So, my guess is, to realign the exterior trim, you'd need to take the interior out, first. It doesn't look especially hard, but as we all know, trim clips have a nasty habit of breaking. It also looks quite time consuming (as noted by the experts doing it).

Everything looks back to normal, with no misalignments or scratches. It will be nice to look through clear, unbroken, glass again.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My windshield replacement was a disaster. Well, for my insurance. I knew that the trim would be a problem, so I asked Progressive if I could get the dealer to do it. They accepted. Three weeks later, the dealer tells me that the parts have arrived, so I drop the car off. Three days later, they tell me that they do not do glass, and that Safelite will be there in three days. I call Safelite to give them a heads up about the trim, and they tell me that they've got it covered.
How did it go? The Safelite tech broke EVERY pin attachment in all three trim pieces. :-( Parts ordered. The three pieces cost $1495.78!!!!!! When they tried to put the new parts in, they realized that they can't without disassembling the inner trim and removing the metal pins that hold the trim in place. Had they done that before removal, they would have saved all of the trim pieces. I don't have the total cost to the insurance, but it is over $2,500. If I had imagined the potential outcome, I would have provided the tech with the information in Ameridan's excellent blog: https://21stcenturyfiat124spider.wo...ield-replacement-must-also-replace-garnishes/

Moral of the story: make sure that you can watch the process, and don't let the tech touch the trim until he has removed the inside covers and pins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts