1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fall is here
I will not give up my Spider 124 Abarth during winter in NJ
I am already looking at a winter set on tire rack

Anyone here on the east coast like me? Has anyone feedback/experience to share on 2016 winter?

·
Registered
535 Posts
As much as it’s going to kill me, I’m going to put mine away for the Winter. Connecticut puts too many chemicals on the road.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Picking up Blizacks on some cheapish rims on Friday. Wooly hat, gloves, seat heaters and heat on and we’ll be all good to go. Too many great days in winter with no tourists clogging the roads to miss out on...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Put a set of blizzacks on my wife’s Cooper s last winter.... transformed it into a hoon winter car. Heaps of fun
I figure she’ll let me drive it and the Abarth can stay warm and dry.

But who knows, we may not get any snow in the north west....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fall is here
I will not give up my Spider 124 Abarth during winter in NJ
I am already looking at a winter set on tire rack

Anyone here on the east coast like me? Has anyone feedback/experience to share on 2016 winter?
Well winter has just finished here in Australia and my Abarth handled it very well. Had the top down in 3 degrees C. Quite missing the heated seats now it is too warm to put them on!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm just north of NYC. Plan on driving it all winter as is.

Hope for another winter where snow doesn't last more than a couple of days. If it's worse I'll look at winter tires.

Fortunately, I only drive 16 miles round trip to commute so on crappy days my wife will pinch hit.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
>:)>:)>:) I do plan on driving all winter long. >:)>:)>:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought my Abarth as a winter/errand companion to my 4C. It'll be great with a good set of performance winter tires.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm driving mine through the winter in Wisconsin. I'm getting a set a blizzaks on my stock wheels, which are going to become my "winter set", and I'm using my 6uls with star spec tires for the summers. I got the luxury package, so I should be able to keep warm with the heated seat. I got an unlimited touchless carwash (with underbody flush) deal at a local gas station, so I'll be going through there a couple times a week to keep the salt off.

Having driven Miatas in the winter with snow tires for the past couple winters, trust me when I say that driving a rwd car in the snow is one of the most fun experiences you'll have with your car... especially when you have an LSD.

Enjoy!

Edit: Also don't forget to get some weathertech or similar floor mats to keep the winter crap from pooling on the floor.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You guys are brave souls indeed. I will drive mine this winter, but only on nice days. And even then I'm hesitant being as after 4 months or driving it back and forth 70 miles on I25 everyday its allready chock full of rock chips, and in the winter there's gravel all over the place.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mine is my only car and a daily driver in Salt Lake city. Fortunately they favor dirt more than salt here. And the plows are some of the quickest I've seen. So snow tires are sitting in the garage and are ready to be installed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You guys are brave souls indeed. I will drive mine this winter, but only on nice days. And even then I'm hesitant being as after 4 months or driving it back and forth 70 miles on I25 everyday its allready chock full of rock chips, and in the winter there's gravel all over the place.
Yeah, clear bra for sure.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I drove through winter 2016 with almost no issue. The VSC is impeccable on this car. It just won't let you spin out no matter what. Had to turn it off for drift sessions in the parking lot even with plenty of snow. One time a pickup spun out behind me on the highway and he was going at the same speed I was going. I did have a good set of winter tires though. The manufacturers of the stock tires sure weren't kidding when they labelled them as 3 season.

I did have 2 issues though:

1. The water pump broke and started leaking. Not sure if it's due to extreme cold or if it's just defective.
2. Got stuck one time on icy mountain roads during an uphill start. Easily solved by backing up and charging up the hill with enough momentum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just ordered a set of new rims and Nordman 7 winter tires yesterday. My Lusso is my daily driver and they're forecasting another snowy winter in the Fraser Valley, just outside of Vancouver, BC. I also dropped down an inch to 16" tires and rims. Shame there's not a roof rack option for skis! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all for posting comments/feedback
I'll switch to winter tires next November
Happy driving

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts