Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Lease is running up on my GTI in about a year and I'm really liking the 124. I used to own an NB Miata but at the time it was a second car.

I live in New England and if I do a new 124 it will be my only car. I really don't want to do the "winter beater". Been there done that!!

So, there's no "snow" mode on the 124. With the combination of traction/stability control and a set of Blizzaks, is it doable to depend on a 124 to get me to work (20 miles each way interstate) in snowy weather? My GTI on snows is fine and it has the same ground clearance as the 124.

Will this thing not get out of its own way on starts in snow like my old z28 (which had studs) or is this doable the few days a year it snows? Guess I'm afraid of the rwd/snow combo.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
476 Posts
if you look at the sister cars boards comment or at youtube videos of such, they say it handles very well in the snow provided you get winter tires. This is because the vehicle has a near 50-50 weight distribution.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
With the right tires, you should do OK. Note though, compared with a FWD GTi, you're going to have a lot less weight over the driven wheels. A couple of bags of sand in the trunk might help.

I'm planning on driving through the winter here. The Denver area obviously gets some snow, but it's usually 5 or 6 big dumps and the roads are clear a couple of days later. Mostly it's dry but cold. I'll switch to a tire that can handle the cold temps, but probably not an out-and-out snow tire - I won't be driving in blizzards and the couple of days afterward, the snow gets pretty rutted - not good with low body work. Over an average winter I'd guess there might be 10 to 15 days I wouldn't want to use it. Other than those, cold sunny days can be great for top-down driving...

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I lived in NE Pennsylvania (Wilkes Barre) I drove my 99 Miata to work every day with few problems. I had a set of dedicated winter tires on all four wheels. I also had limited slip and the weight of an extra battery in the trunk to help start it on those cold mornings. Still, it was no match for my wife's VW Passat, also equipped with winter tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts