Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just bought a Classica and live in Minnesota. It started snowing lightly today and underlined the need for me to get winter tires. I have the garage fitting a new set of rims and winter tires but need to pull the trigger on what I want - wanted to get your advice:

Minnesota obviously gets a lot of snow well sometimes, previous few years its been slushy/wet or even dry, but cold. What would you recommend for winter tires?

Looking for tires that can handle dry conditions, snow, cold. Is Blizzacks the way to go or Yokohama Ice Guard, or is there another tire that does a great job for the Spider? Just planning on swapping them out when the weather gets better for the OEMs.

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had Nordman 7 tires installed on my Lusso up here in Canada. I went for new wheels and 16" winters. Very happy so far. Quiet too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm in Calgary, last winter and this one I ran and will run the Nokian Hakka 8's (studded) on my Abarth.... very very, very good, especially with the freeze thaw cycles up here. On the loudish side of things but the security is well worth the trade off in IMHO. I've been using the Nokians for 18 years, this is my first go round with studded version for the rear wheel traction, I love them. Our C30 and V60 just use the normal Hakka Winter palooza versions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm in Calgary, last winter and this one I ran and will run the Nokian Hakka 8's (studded) on my Abarth.... very very, very good, especially with the freeze thaw cycles up here. On the loudish side of things but the security is well worth the trade off in IMHO. I've been using the Nokians for 18 years, this is my first go round with studded version for the rear wheel traction, I love them. Our C30 and V60 just use the normal Hakka Winter palooza versions.
Hi, where did you buy those Nokian Hakka's, what size and did you use the original wheel's?
If not on original wheel's, what did you put them on?
You would sure help me out with that.

I'm in Medicine Hat

·
Registered
193 Posts
I went with the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3’s for my Abarth and they are fantastic. I do winter tires on most of my cars and have run them all, and these are as good as they get. Equally good in braking, acceleration, and lateral grip, which is unusual. Highly reccomend them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Im in NJ and went with the 16" Blizzaks and new rims. We had one good snow so far and they handled great very pleased.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Madbee511

Hi, where did you buy those Nokian Hakka's, what size and did you use the original wheel's?
If not on original wheel's, what did you put them on?
You would sure help me out with that.

I'm in Medicine Hat

I get them at Kaltire, the dealer sourced the studded version, had I thought about it I would have downsized to a 16" rim instead of the original... and used a rota rim mini-lite copy rim with some more dish for the winter... but I'll switch after this set wears out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My idea is to put winter tires on the oem wheels. I think the fact that those wheels are heavy will be a plus in the snow.
According to the kaltire website, the nokian hakkan 8 is not rated for the abarth.

I like the studded tire and think it will do good here in Medicine Hat. After the winter I will search for lighter wheels and maybe bigger but than I'm stuck with 4 original tires with approx. 8000km on them.

Hmmm.....a couple of month's in the garage and I have to face this dilemma next winter. I would also need to install a block heater of some sort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just thought I would give my 2 cents here.

I recently installed Maxtrek Tyres - Trek M900/Antares Grip 60 Ice - P205/55R16, 12.4/32 tread depth, non studded (16x7rims) on my lusso. Despite their low cost I have been very impressed with some snow storms we have had in Ontario so far.

I am sure they are not as good as some high end tires but living in a rural area where snow drifts are a bigger concern then black ice i wanted directional tires that could be replaced once down to around 6/12 tread depth without feeling guilty for not using all the tire life. The biggest draw back to these tires is they are louder. Not truck loud but cheap winter tire loud.

I think most people are dropping to a 195 width tire but for the low weight of the vehicle I did not think it was worth loosing the larger contact patch that comes with 205. Also wanted to put rims on 7 inch rims for stability.

Will update this if I have changed my mind after this winter.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Vredstein Quatrac 5s. Available on TireRack. Not a true snow tire, but do have the 3-peak snow flake symbol so more snow traction than a traditional all-season, but not as much as something like the Blizzaks. On the other hand, when the roads are dry or merely wet, or in shoulder season when the temps are varying between too cold for summers by too hot for snows, you'll appreciate them.

I've been really impressed with them - read the reviews on Tire Rack.

If you do go with Blizzaks or other full-on snow tires, be prepared to have the traction control intervening a lot.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
... be prepared to have the traction control intervening a lot.
Is there anyone who doesn't have traction control intervening a lot?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts