Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
...I sure wish I'd brought the 124 for these roads. :)
Yep - we're pretty blessed in CO. How long are you in the area for?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Just until Sunday morning.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Ah - pity. Was going to offer you a quick drive in the mountains behind Boulder (some great roads up there), but I couldn't do earlier than Sunday. In any case, if I don't sort out my turbo issues, it'd be very sedate drive...:D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks, anyway. I hope you get it sorted. I take it you didn't find a loose connection?

Ah - pity. Was going to offer you a quick drive in the mountains behind Boulder (some great roads up there), but I couldn't do earlier than Sunday. In any case, if I don't sort out my turbo issues, it'd be very sedate drive...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The problem happened on the way to the airport - don't get back until tomorrow so I'll see then.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had the undercarriage rustproofed at Krown and will be backing mine up in its winter storage spot as soon as the snow clears enough for me to do it. It'll sleep there until April.

Nothing much to do on it. I'll just crack down the windows an inch then unplug the battery. Put a few bricks to wedge the wheels so the car doesn't roll around (although it's manual and I'll leave it in gear.)

Dodo.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My Spider is now asleep for the winter.

-Washed and waxed the car, vacuumed the top.
-Replaced engine oil and filter.
-Cleaned the cleanable aFe dry air filter.
-Checked (and found it empty) the oil catch can.
-Last few tanks of gas have been 91 octane non-ethanol. Poured in 1oz per gallon Seafoam fuel treatment and topped the tank.
-Inflated the tires to 50psi at the gas station. (Yuck, harsh ride at that pressure.)
-Drove the neighborhood to circulate the fresh oil and gas treatment. Backed it into the garage, rolling her up onto plywood scraps to get the tires off the concrete.
-Roof is latched shut, both windows cracked open about one finger. A bed sheet will drape across the roof of the car, covering the door windows as well.
-Hand brake is off, wheels chocked.
-Will hook up a Battery Tender every few weeks to keep the battery charged. (Did I read somewhere to loosen the battery cell caps for the charge process, for hydrogen off-gassing? I haven't... ever owned a battery that wasn't maintenance free. Will check the car and charger manuals for this.)
-Called the dealer service shop, told them what I did and they said I did just as they'd suggest. Seeya in the spring, lil' buddy.

Steve.

·
Registered
585 Posts
One additional thing that I did... I removed the batteries from both key fobs. I won't drive the car again for at least 5 months, so there is no need to have the key fobs sending a signal to the car.

I packaged each disassembled key fob up in a zip lock bag and put them away for the winter.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I knew there must be a reason I'm living in hot, rainy, stormy Florida. It's just now getting top down weather. I'll be think of you guys when I'm cruising down the fast lane...come visit!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Steve,
What's the reason for putting the car on plywood rather than the concrete garage floor? Why do you leave the handbrake off? And why leave the windows cracked?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Steve,
What's the reason for putting the car on plywood rather than the concrete garage floor? Why do you leave the handbrake off? And why leave the windows cracked?
Some tires, especially softer compounds and older rubber compounds, can stick to some types/finishes of concrete over long periods of time, potentially causing damage to the tire as you move it away in the spring. This isn't usually a problem nowadays, but it doesn't hurt to put something underneath them just in case.

Some people leave the windows cracked a touch to take pressure off of the weather seals and to let a bit of air circulate through the cabin. In my experience this doesn't really matter on modern cars for a typical winter period, but again, it can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Steve,
Plywood- I can't find hard evidence (probably didn't look long enough) but I just like to break the long term contact between the rubber and the caustic nature of concrete. And my garage floor becomes quite salty in the winter (road salt) so it's a buffer there as well.

Hand brake- like someone else stated, to keep the brake pads from corroding to the braking surface.

I left the windows cracked open just to allow air movement through the cabin, to keep it from being stagnant. If a winter day is warm here (above freezing), it is also sopping wet with humidity, and if cold (single digit to below zero F.) the humidity can be very low. Again, I have no proof of problems, but it feels more comforting in my mind.

Steve.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Drove my Scatoletta Nov. 30 for the last time this year, Called the Insurance and to winterized the car. Today, inflated the tires to 50psi, connected the battery minder gave her a good hug for the pleasant summer we had together and hopefully next year. I put on the cover blanket and she went to hibernation.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Drove my Scatoletta Nov. 30 for the last time this year, Called the Insurance and to winterized the car. Today, inflated the tires to 50psi, connected the battery minder gave her a good hug for the pleasant summer we had together and hopefully next year. I put on the cover blanket and she went to hibernation.
Calling the insurance co... that's a good idea. Maybe get a reduction in rate.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Mine is asleep since late October. Didn't want to pay an extra 1 month to SAAQ for 1 week extra and, as usual, we got out first snow in mid november here. What mileage is your Scatoletta? I'm around 6500KM of pur plaisir >:)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Don't forget la SAAQ, for the licence plates(you could do it online) 4 to 5 months savings. December well too late but in your case Jan to April inclusive.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes I got a reduction with mine and since I put less annual mileage on my daily driver I got a reduction for her too.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts