Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the wire box alongside the driver door (under the sill trim), there is supposed to be a wire I can tap into that is +12V when the ignition is on. On the Mazda its pink with silver strips every couple of inches. This wire does not seem to be in this harness, and I'm trying to avoid running a wire up to the fuses if I can just tap in here. Anyone know which wire of the set will work? (This is for a Windrestrictor lit windscreen). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wire in harness near driver door.

In the wire box alongside the driver door (under the sill trim), there is supposed to be a wire I can tap into that is +12V when the ignition is on. On the Mazda its pink with silver strips every couple of inches. This wire does not seem to be in this harness, and I'm trying to avoid running a wire up to the fuses if I can just tap in here. Anyone know which wire of the set will work? (This is for a Windrestrictor lit windscreen). Thanks in advance.
I'm in the process of doing the same install, but am waiting for them to send a remote on/off switch. It would be my suggestion that you call Steven X-4 @ 972 487-5987 and ask your questions. My instructions indicate the same thing, locate a pink wire with silver bars. I have not taken the doorsill off yet since I am still awaiting the remote on/off switch. Call Steven.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Please post the results since I'm waiting for mine also. Any ideas where to put the on/off switch?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please post the results since I'm waiting for mine also. Any ideas where to put the on/off switch?
If you mean the remote dimmer fob that also has the power switch, I put the control box into the cubby behind the driver seat. I don't use it for anything else, and it turns out the netting inside isn't fastened in there particularly well so it was easy to get a wire in there.

They are supposed to call me today about the pink wire - it turns out they didn't install one on a 124, just the Mazda, so its possible there could be differences in the wiring harness they didn't know about. (Or changes during the manufacturing run.) To be honest, I could go get a fuse tap. The fuse box isn't that far away from the access point at the door sill.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you mean the remote dimmer fob that also has the power switch, I put the control box into the cubby behind the driver seat. I don't use it for anything else, and it turns out the netting inside isn't fastened in there particularly well so it was easy to get a wire in there.

They are supposed to call me today about the pink wire - it turns out they didn't install one on a 124, just the Mazda, so its possible there could be differences in the wiring harness they didn't know about. (Or changes during the manufacturing run.) To be honest, I could go get a fuse tap. The fuse box isn't that far away from the access point at the door sill.
Rob Lobster had a good idea if you didn't want to mess with wires. Just use the 9 volt test battery and hide it somewhere.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't want to have to think about switching it on. I ended up using a fuse tap to the #5 fuse. Its about 3 inches away from that harness anyway.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wire in harness near driver door.

I have been able to get the black sill trim off without much difficulty, but am unable to find the key to open the long white plastic cover that protects the harness wires I want to tap. :( Does anyone have a clue as to how this white plastic cover is opened?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since the pink, barred, wire isn't in there, it's much less aggravating to pick up the fuse tap at autozone and run the wire the few extra inches to the fuse box. (Just reach in and thread it thru the plastic trim.) It's right next to the harness cover. That said, there are clips on the harness cover at the points where you can see some rectangular loops. I pulled out on those while squeezing in on the top half.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts