Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I just completed a little project to wire my Valentine One Gen 2 radar detector into the power provided to the rear view mirror. End result looks very clean.

First step is to order the right power tap kit. I got: Radar Mount Mirror Wire Power... Amazon.com: Radar Mount Mirror Wire Power Cord with Inline Fuse RJ11 - Valentine V1 Radar Detector: Radar Mount: Electronics
Other kits / configurations may be needed for other brands of radar detectors.

Next step was to figure out the power output of the rear view mirror. Just pull out the plug from the rear and insert sewing needles into the holes in the front of the plug. Use a voltmeter to touch the needles. What you will learn is that pins 3 (ground) and 5 (-12v) on the bottom row of the plug when viewed from the back and counting from the left are the right places to tap. Please verify yourself.

I'm omitting frustrating trial and error but I'm very happy with the outcome. No ugly cables visible as the radar detector floats under the mirror.

·
Registered
GONE18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
768 Posts
Do you have any photos of the completed installation?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You just have to jam them into the back of the plug. It's tight and you have to be careful not to bend the pins. Temporarily inserting sewing needles into the front of the plug to measure the voltage is super easy.

·
Registered
2017 124 Spider Lusso
134 Posts
These are now on back order. Does anyone have one that they are not using and would be willing to sell. I am looking for the USB version

·
Registered
2019 FIAT 124 Abarth Spider
12 Posts
Hey folks. I just completed a little project to wire my Valentine One Gen 2 radar detector into the power provided to the rear view mirror. End result looks very clean.

First step is to order the right power tap kit. I got: Radar Mount Mirror Wire Power... Amazon.com: Radar Mount Mirror Wire Power Cord with Inline Fuse RJ11 - Valentine V1 Radar Detector: Radar Mount: Electronics
Other kits / configurations may be needed for other brands of radar detectors.

Next step was to figure out the power output of the rear view mirror. Just pull out the plug from the rear and insert sewing needles into the holes in the front of the plug. Use a voltmeter to touch the needles. What you will learn is that pins 3 (ground) and 5 (-12v) on the bottom row of the plug when viewed from the back and counting from the left are the right places to tap. Please verify yourself.

I'm omitting frustrating trial and error but I'm very happy with the outcome. No ugly cables visible as the radar detector floats under the mirror.
Just to be certain:
  • The black wire/pin goes in position 3?
  • The red wire/pin goes in position 5?
  • And 5 is -12 and not +12?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
MX5things.com
This guy has created all kinds of unique products for our cars also. He must have an electrical background.
Some of the stuff I can get cheaper else where, but good to know he has new stuff for the 124, a good site to bookmark. thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to be certain:
  • The black wire/pin goes in position 3?
  • The red wire/pin goes in position 5?
  • And 5 is -12 and not +12?
It's been too long for me to remember. I suggest you get a voltmeter to verify. A trick I found with the voltmeter was to insert sewing needles in the front of the plug you want to measure and then touch those with the voltmeter probe since the voltmeter probe is too thick to be inserted into the holes on the plug.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts