Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
You'd think by now Fiat would have come up with some kind of a fix for this. It's annoying and a real design flaw; whoever their engine designers are, they should be embarassed. Chief of engineering should have been fired to release this out into the world. It's this kind of thing that has contributed to Fiat's lousy reputation.

That said, I just take my Lusso out every two-three weeks in winter on dry days and run it up to operating temp and charge hard through the gears a couple of times, then it's good to go for the next time.
So I had the same issue recently from long storage (6 months).
Fiat told me to start it at least once a month for at least 15 minutes or drive it around like you mentioned during storage times.

I guess this is how we have to take care of the princess. Always needs our attention 馃榿

Registered
I had the same issue this spring after pulling the car out from a 6 month storage (only on trickle charge).
I got it towed to Fiat (use my warranty so didn't pay) and they primed it for me.
They told me the same thing, you must start it at least every 3 weeks and let it run for 15/20 min.
I plan to do this from here on in to prevent this from happening again.
Should it happen, I'll take the advice of adding the 7oz of oil.
Regardless, still love the car 馃槵

Registered
If you start every 6 weeks this is not ideal, oil dilution. Leave it for the 6 months after summer and simply unscrew the oil filler cap, hold the flexy spout of the oil can at 90 degrees to the 'ball valve' and pump about 40-70 times say with the end of the oil can flexy held gently on it. The ball valve has a very soft spring and so the pumping action of the oil can does the job, no need to put it under pressure as some have done with a separate oil tank, pointless !
Cool, thanks. I'll copy/paste this into my routine notes.
I'm basic when it comes to mechanics so this helps alot.

Registered
For those of you who are looking for a perfect oiler for our purposes and have not bought one yet, I like this one a lot! Perfect shaped slim tip for depressing the check ball and getting oil in, and not on the brick. It has a metal flexible spout that is slim and durable, and all metal construction. Should last nearly forever. It is a Dutton-Lainson Goldenrod #707. Made in USA. It is available through some local hardware stores and auto parts stores, available on Amazon, and from " www.dutton-lainson.com ". Happy Spidering, Best, s
Awesome, thanks for this.
Here is a pic for us visual people 馃お
Font Gas Screenshot Fashion accessory Audio equipment

1 - 5 of 5 Posts