Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just finished installing sound deadening tiles in the boot to reducing resonance at 1700 revs after I had a custom made stainless steel exhaust fitted (the application of the tiles has been a complete success eliminating the resonance completely) However after taking out the boot liner to fit the tiles I noticed 2 factory fit pieces of colour coded fabric tape across 2 holes (about half an inch in diameter) in the boot floor - see photo. Of more concern I noticed the start of corrosion underneath the tape beginning at the edge of the hole. I removed the tape and treated the rust with rust killler before applying a small amount of Waxoyl underseal before recovering with Gorilla tape. It doesn't look particularly pretty. but as its underneath the boot liner I'm not concerned with the aesthetics.

Just thought it was worth flagging so those not lucky enough to live in California may want to check that they don't have the same problem

Registered
Ooft! I don鈥檛 remember that when I did my boot lining. Thanks for the heads up - will investigate and report back at the weekend.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rust was minimal, still surface only and just starting to creep away from the edge of the holes under the tape so does look worse on the photos as the black underseal makes it look rough. I cant understand why the factory used fabric tape rather than rubber grommets or another more effective solution

Registered
I lined my trunk a few weeks ago and noticed no such holes, rust, or similar conditions. I did find a dent-puller, though. No signs of body work or damage, just the puller lying the bottom of the pan - strange.

Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
I'll check again but IIRC there were no such holes in my trunk either and definitely no rust.

Super Moderator
I鈥檓 appalled at this, but you can fix it with your equivalent to Rustoleum paint. Get the rust gone first and give it a thorough coating or three.
Best regards
Pete

Registered
Obviously, you should sand the rust down before coating it in rustoleom or whatever paint you choose. Otherwise, the problem will persist. There's some good metal-shaving sandpaper's you can buy from the internet. Could recommend a good brand if you'd like. Useful for more than just rust too.

Registered
Hello All
Just got a 2018 Lusso Plus Automatic delivered.
After reading several threads on this forum I decided to look at the boot resonating pan with a plan to sound proofing it.
Carefully removing the bottom boot lining I found it to be completely sodden and water in the pan.
I dried all the water and looked for the obvious source of the leak.
Mine has tape but no rust yet. Since the weather here in the my part of the UK has been quite good for the last week I presumed it must be down to over zealous washing by the dealers.
That's when I found an interesting thread about the "hood drain filters", I have not owned a soft top before.
Following the thread I found these little sods buried behind each seat at an almost impossible to get to location .
Much cursing later found both sides completely full of ****, emptied, cleaned and refitted.
Now wait for rain or wash the car to see if this is root cause.
Thanks to the person that wrote that original thread , I cant remember the name.Sorry
Hope this helps :)

Registered
I've just finished installing sound deadening tiles in the boot to reducing resonance at 1700 revs after I had a custom made stainless steel exhaust fitted (the application of the tiles has been a complete success eliminating the resonance completely) However after taking out the boot liner to fit the tiles I noticed 2 factory fit pieces of colour coded fabric tape across 2 holes (about half an inch in diameter) in the boot floor - see photo. Of more concern I noticed the start of corrosion underneath the tape beginning at the edge of the hole. I removed the tape and treated the rust with rust killler before applying a small amount of Waxoyl underseal before recovering with Gorilla tape. It doesn't look particularly pretty. but as its underneath the boot liner I'm not concerned with the aesthetics.

Just thought it was worth flagging so those not lucky enough to live in California may want to check that they don't have the same problem

View attachment 85450
Did the segmented sound insulation work OK , I have a sheet of the stuff and was going to use a whole sheet but if segments works I can get more coverage ? Thanks

Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
Yes, the segmented sheet pieces work just great. No need to completely cover. The idea is to stop the resonance which the smaller tiles accomplish.

Registered
Did the segmented sound insulation work OK , I have a sheet of the stuff and was going to use a whole sheet but if segments works I can get more coverage ? Thanks
Yes you are fine with small segments. You can get into a lengthy physics debate regarding optimal coverage for vibro damping vs weight gain and where the sweet spot is, but small segments should eliminate most of your problem. I opted for uniform coverage because I am not really worried about weight gain.

Premium Member
<edited>
Just got a 2018 Lusso Plus Automatic delivered.
After reading several threads on this forum I decided to look at the boot resonating pan with a plan to sound proofing it.
Carefully removing the bottom boot lining I found it to be completely sodden and water in the pan.
<edited>
I'd also suggest checking those two plastic plugs/gromets that site close to the exterior trunk wall (other side of the rear license plate location). When I did the mod to add functional rear fogs, I used one of them as the means to get my wiring down to the rear light housing, but I also completely covered both of them with a heavy duty sealant (both inside the trunk and on the underside). Mostly just a long term precaution. I'm surprised that plugged roof drains would flood the trunk (boot) area, as most of what i've read here indicates it floods inside the passenger space and under the seats. That would be the next place I'd be checking to make sure you get that cleaned up and dried out as well. If they were plugged that badly, there's s good chance you've got a lot of water pooled under your seats.

I did my sound tile installation when the vehicle was a couple of years old, and at the time I noticed zero rust in the areas mentioned in the OP of this thread. Then again, I also had the underbody of the vehicle rustproofed when I bought it. Yes, it adds weight, but it helps reduce noise along with the usual prevention of rust damage.

The photo below shows the two black plugs in the trunk that I was referring to (not sure why this bloody site rotates my photos from landscape, but the outer wall of the trunk is to the left in this rotated image)...

Reactions: Magoffin

Registered
2018 Abarth Spider
Reactions: GuidoVeloce

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I followed the segmented approach having watched a "how to" video by one of the members on here (sorry I cant remember who is was or which section it was in) The video showed excellent before and after results after each segment was applied which appeared to show good results. I decided on this approach purely based on the results shown in the video and despite taking 2 and a half hours to measure, cut and apply the segments I felt it was easier than trying to get full tiles to stick across the recessed shapes of the boot floor without air pockets - something a understand is crucial to effectively damping resonance. Nothing to do with weight saving etc.

Prior to fitting the tiles I felt the noise from the exhaust was louder in the car with the roof closed than it was standing outside the car and had a hard edge at about 1700 revs. The effort in fitting the segments has certainly paid off as the exhaust now has more pure sporty sound with a softer note, as the resonance to my "cloth ears" appears to have been completely eliminated.

Registered
Checked an I have no visible signs of rusting or water damage but I will definitely be keeping an eye out from now on. Thanks OP 馃憤馃徏

Registered
Wow, thanks for the heads-up on this issue.

After mechanical rust removal, OSPHO will convert remaining rust from unstable iron oxide to stable black iron phosphate. Then paint and seal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts