Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the Brembos off for what should have been nothing more than a good scrub and paint touch ups only to find some pretty raggedy looking dust boots / seals around the pistons.

Looks like they've melted almost completely on one side.

Looks like they are easily sourcable for replacements.
Repair kit for brake calipers - Brembo
https://addictionmotorsport.co.uk/dust-seals/genuine-brembo-30mm-dust-seal-20487241
https://addictionmotorsport.co.uk/dust-seals

Only issue is that I have no idea where the measurements are taken from for the size of the seal. The outermost diameter I measured at 48mm. The piston itself seems to measure at 26mm. Theres a bunch of wrinkles in the seal which could all be diameters to take from. There seems to be an inner edge that the piston I presume seals with. That is the only one that fits within the range of seals I can buy online at 34mm. Anyone got any insight?

Also is this something I should bother worrying about? It seems like if I replace them they are only going to melt again on the next trackday :/ They've caused so much rubber gunk around the sides as well

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Hi...The only thing that I can think of that would cause that (possibly), and only because you state (trackday....) really distorted "Discs" (rotors for N. America). Dust covers are just that, no contact with anything and the fact that they are melting means that the disc is somehow making contact with the dust cover as well as the extended brake piston through the pad back plate. I would be more concerned with the brake set up than the dust covers..........Have you a "Vernier" ?
The fact that you have the calipers off suggests you know what you are doing, so BEFORE just changing those seals I would check the linear of the disc and that it is correctly installed /torqued. Good Luck and Cheers
ron

Reactions: Believer

·
Registered
372 Posts
Have the Brembos off for what should have been nothing more than a good scrub and paint touch ups only to find some pretty raggedy looking dust boots / seals around the pistons.

Looks like they are easily sourcable for replacements.
Repair kit for brake calipers - Brembo
Genuine Brembo 30mm Dust Seal - Addiction Motorsport Ltd
Genuine Brembo Dust Seals - Addiction Motorsport Ltd

Only issue is that I have no idea where the measurements are taken from for the size of the seal. The outermost diameter I measured at 48mm. The piston itself seems to measure at 26mm. Theres a bunch of wrinkles in the seal which could all be diameters to take from. There seems to be an inner edge that the piston I presume seals with. That is the only one that fits within the range of seals I can buy online at 34mm. Anyone got any insight?
Were you able to find replacement seals from a US supplier? If so, where? Mazda does not have the seals (nor entire seal kit for Brembos), Fiat offers only the entire seal kit ($120), ebay has some seals but does not provide fitment charts.

Thx, SL

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were you able to find replacement seals from a US supplier? If so, where? Mazda does not have the seals (nor entire seal kit for Brembos), Fiat offers only the entire seal kit ($120), ebay has some seals but does not provide fitment charts.

Thx, SL
Unfortunately not, this was the reply I got from the seal supplier here in the UK

I imagine fiat here in the UK will probably offer a similarly rip-off cost for the seal kit. I believe there are shops that have the capability to make custom seals but again the cost/value may vary.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
@Ricehead have you tried contacting Brembo directly with the part # of the caliper for repair parts? It’s hard to believe that repair parts would not be available. I am currently using KSport brakes and can purchase any needed repair parts direct from the manufacturer.

Dan

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Ricehead have you tried contacting Brembo directly with the part # of the caliper for repair parts? It’s hard to believe that repair parts would not be available. I am currently using KSport brakes and can purchase any needed repair parts direct from the manufacturer.

Dan
I did look into it. But there isn't really a clear cut way of just contacting brembo. I did submit the contact form linked here for the seal repair kits: Repair kits for brake calipers

But that was coming up for 3 weeks ago and I've yet to receive a reply. If anyone has a heads up on a more direct email or phone number then I'd appreciate it as I'd be keen to explore that

I imagine with such a large highly distributed company finding the right nook and cranny within the various national or maybe international brembo departments and/or right affiliate where the right contact actually has the knowledge and autonomy to help source and purchase the seals is one of those scenarios where it's near impossible without knowing people within. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.

P.s This all presupposes there isn't some legally questionable anti right to repair agreement between the OEMs and Brembo outlining that certain parts must be supplied to the dealer's only never direct. I think this is what the email response from the seal supplier was implying

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I did look into it. But there isn't really a clear cut way of just contacting brembo. I did submit the contact form linked here for the seal repair kits: Repair kits for brake calipers

But that was coming up for 3 weeks ago and I've yet to receive a reply. If anyone has a heads up on a more direct email or phone number then I'd appreciate it as I'd be keen to explore that

I imagine with such a large highly distributed company finding the right nook and cranny within the various national or maybe international brembo departments and/or right affiliate where the right contact actually has the knowledge and autonomy to help source and purchase the seals is one of those scenarios where it's near impossible without knowing people within. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.

P.s This all presupposes there isn't some legally questionable anti right to repair agreement between the OEMsh and Brembo outlining that certain parts must be supplied to the dealer's only never direct. I think this is what the email response from the seal supplier was implying
Well that really sucks. You purchase the upgraded brakes, then are left hanging for help. I just checked Brembo USA and they offer rotors, pads and fluid, but no repair parts. I have Brembos on my Mini and the A124 Brembos in storage. Hopefully I won’t need any parts soon.

Good luck on your quest.

Dan

·
Registered
372 Posts

P.s This all presupposes there isn't some legally questionable anti right to repair agreement between the OEMs and Brembo outlining that certain parts must be supplied to the dealer's only never direct. I think this is what the email response from the seal supplier was implying
So according to Google, Hoerr Racing Products sells the individual boots. But I can't google-find any conclusive answer what diameter boots we need for our calipers. Anybody?

Thx, SL

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,308 Posts
So according to Google, Brembo Caliper Dust Boots sells the individual boots. But I can't google-find any conclusive answer what diameter boots we need for our calipers. Anybody?

Thx, SL
Here's what I found: How to Measure StopTech Pistons It's not Brembo but it does say that you use the piston diameter. @Ricehead your picture shows 28mm on the piston and that is a valid Brembo size, they start at 28 and go to 46 in 2mm increments. Here are Brembo seals in every size for under $8 a pair.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So according to Google, Brembo Caliper Dust Boots sells the individual boots. But I can't google-find any conclusive answer what diameter boots we need for our calipers. Anybody?

Thx, SL
You should read the thread and my replies carefully. I too found a supplier of those same dust boots you have found. It's not as simple as finding the correct diameter. After checking with the seal supplier the design of the 124 Brembo dust boot is a different design to the seals that are widely available. Meaning: None of those dust boots you've found will fit the Brembo brakes the 124 has.

Feel free to test this theory yourself. You could for example buy one of every seal diameter and see if one of them fits. After all it's not like they are expensive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's what I found: How to Measure StopTech Pistons It's not Brembo but it does say that you use the piston diameter. @Ricehead your picture shows 28mm on the piston and that is a valid Brembo size, they start at 28 and go to 46 in 2mm increments. Here are Brembo seals in every size for under $8 a pair.
Damn that's a good article, very insightful. Cheers for that. I'll likely order a variance of brembo seal diameters and designs and see if there are any cross compatible SKUs the next deep clean of the brakes I do. Maybe in a few weeks. This'll come in very handy at maximising the chances of finding a compatible set

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For posterity here is the full extent of my google-fu results.

You'll find pretty much one forum post on the net which seems to narrow down the part number for the MK4 MX5 Front Dust Boots. However the leads here dry up pretty fast. You'll see others in that thread complaining of the exact same perils as 124/MX-5 Brembo owners when it comes to finding and buying new seals. Claims that they don't exist or cannot be supplied. Pushing towards full rebuild kits by dealers.

This does however give us a part number: 20779904 / 20.7799.04 which they quote as being a 38mm boot. Which is different to the readily available 20.4872.XX part numbers we have found floating about.

So if you believe there may be some cross compatibility then you can buy some replacement seals for the Focus RS Brembo brakes and give it a go. I didn't pull the trigger as ordering from the US is a pain.

Attached also is a Mazda parts list for the Brembos I found. Unfortunately they have not expanded it out to list the boots specifically. Group "5" has what we want but at $700 is completely unfeasible price wise. I imagine dealers will be reluctant to work outside of the bounds of what you see in that document when it comes to providing spare parts. Although the $120 quote for the kit is still better than $700

This was the totality of what I found last month after a lot of hours searching. I believe my google-fu to be quite strong as my day job is a software dev, a career path that is quite severely stunted if one does not understand the ways of google very well 😁

@sl_austin Hopefully this can be of some use to you

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Development. Using the code NAYF-33-98Z for the full assembly I was able to find a bunch of japanese listings for upgrade kits.

I found this, I believe this is just an orange version of the same Brembos
Containing this photo:

So it looks like I can confirm the part number we are looking for is 20 77 99 04 / 20.7799.04 which looks like it might have some cross-compatibility with 2016-2018 Ford Focus RS Brembo dust boots. So if you can find any aftermarket solutions using this info let me know

P.s found the red version too: https://www.amazdaonline.com/eshop/...brembo-4pot-brake-caliper-miatandspecial.html
Slightly harder to discern but is the same part no:

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
You'll find pretty much one forum post on the net which seems to narrow down the part number for the MK4 MX5 Front Dust Boots. However the leads here dry up pretty fast. You'll see others in that thread complaining of the exact same perils as 124/MX-5 Brembo owners when it comes to finding and buying new seals. Claims that they don't exist or cannot be supplied. Pushing towards full rebuild kits by dealers.

I ordered a set of dust seals for the '16-'18 Focus Brembo calipers via ebay. Will update here after attempting installation. Thanks again for all the research and sharing your results!

Cheers, SL

·
Registered
372 Posts
I ordered a set of dust seals for the '16-'18 Focus Brembo calipers via ebay. Will update here after attempting installation.
Update: The dust seals for the '16 -'18 Focus Brembo calipers do not fit the Brembo calipers on the ND/124. Bummer. Back to the search side of things.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Damn that's a good article, very insightful. Cheers for that. I'll likely order a variance of brembo seal diameters and designs and see if there are any cross compatible SKUs the next deep clean of the brakes I do. Maybe in a few weeks. This'll come in very handy at maximising the chances of finding a compatible set
I emailed the folks at Hoerr Racing Products, the vendor that @Calehedron linked to. Here's their answer, what diameter to select when ordering via their site:
you want to order the 34mm Dust boot. They use the OD of the piston to determine the boot sizes.
I don't know how to put this in perspective, considering the response re. old vs new boot design you received from Addiction Motorsports. I'll order a couple, and take it from there. In the meantime, if anybody has a Focus RS that needs Brembo caliper dust boots, I have two free sets available ;).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I emailed the folks at Hoerr Racing Products, the vendor that @Calehedron linked to. Here's their answer, what diameter to select when ordering via their site:

I don't know how to put this in perspective, considering the response re. old vs new boot design you received from Addiction Motorsports. I'll order a couple, and take it from there. In the meantime, if anybody has a Focus RS that needs Brembo caliper dust boots, I have two free sets available ;).

Ahh that sucks I too ordered some focus RS seals from Germany but they have yet to arrive. I tried one Mazda dealership near me but they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about and could not get a match from the part numbers I've found so far. Going to keep trying others

Whoever said the automotive industry is one the best examples of right to repair. I have a bone to pick with them....

I also emailed race technologies on your side of the pond. From what I understand a somewhat prominent supplier of brembo parts. This was their response. I've yet to contact flis performance.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I also emailed race technologies on your side of the pond. From what I understand a somewhat prominent supplier of brembo parts. This was their response. I've yet to contact flis performance.
Yay, progress. I emailed flips performance, and got this response:
These rebuild kits can be purchased from Mazda Motorsports. The Mazda Part number for this rebuild kit is: 0000-03-5416. They come with boots and seals but No Pistons. Hope this helps and if you need anything in the future please let me know.

My Best to you,

~Ashli
--
Ashli Richardson
Flis Performance
106 Anita Ave
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
Just off the phone with Mazda Motorsports, www.mazdamotorsports.com. The part # is valid, and the kits are in stock. It's listed as a competition part, and rather pricey ($172/kit, where one kit rebuilds one caliper). But first time in the quest to find these seals that a vendor has the actual parts! Thanks for all the digging @Ricehead and sharing the part #!

Cheers, SL

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just put in an order from Brake Caliper Painting & Refurbishment. British Service, World Renowned for 8 Dust Boots. They believe they have some non-brembo replacement boots that should fit. Will report back when they arrive
Awesome. What is the cost per seal, if I may ask? I exchanged emails with HRP earlier this week, the dust boots sold here for the 34mm ID have 44mm OD, whereas our calipers need 48mm. Mazda Motorsports is the only source in the US that supplies boots for our calipers, but at $172 per kit (4 seals) is ridiculously expensive.

Cheers, SL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts