Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You souldn't be. I don't believe the rosso is any softer than any other color, it just shows the ultra light scratches more. In less than two weeks and as many washings I was concerned about the marks on the passenger's door, the boot lid and the fuel door. I had some 13 year old 3M Imperial Microglaze that has been frozen 12 times and gave it a shot. In about 15 seconds with a Harbor freight Micro Fiber towel the marks were completely gone. The Pretty One has now learned to use the door handle when closing the door and I've learned the fuel door locks with the rest of the doors. I may just try to keep my dirty mitts cleaner when I close the boot.

Well, I placed this in the wrong place:(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, I placed this in the wrong place:(
LOL! Good to know that it's not as soft as I think it is. I do find it hard to close my boot without leaving fingerprint marks as I have the matte heritage wrap on. I have to continue to remind myself that the edge of the Abarth logo is a good place to push...

·
Registered
745 Posts
I went to the NY AutoShow last Friday. They had a couple Spiders and Abarth Spiders on display.

Under identical lighting for all the cars, the Red was showing some lite swirling on the panel between the convertable top and the front of the trunk lid. The White Abarth was on turn table, so could not see it up close, but the Aliumiumn Abarth and the White Classica did not show any swirls. Don't know if they were all prepped by the same people in the same way. That said, the Red looks great.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I went to the NY AutoShow last Friday. They had a couple Spiders and Abarth Spiders on display.

Under identical lighting for all the cars, the Red was showing some lite swirling on the panel between the convertable top and the front of the trunk lid. The White Abarth was on turn table, so could not see it up close, but the Aliumiumn Abarth and the White Classica did not show any swirls. Don't know if they were all prepped by the same people in the same way. That said, the Red looks great.
I have a Bianca Gelato (white) Lusso and haven't noticed any swirls or paint imperfections.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
Your post has reminded me to get sealant on my car! I've been procrastinating and need to get my butt in gear.
Thanks!
Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got instant water spots on my red Lusso the first time I washed it. I've never had a car get water spots in decades of car ownership. My Mini has a rock hard finish. Anyway, I ripped Fiat a new one on a satisfaction survey and they contacted me and left a contact number so when I get back to them I will be interested to see what comes of it. I'm really upset that you have to pamper a $27k car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love my red Lusso! I had a detailer put a really "hard" sealant/wax whatever you call it - on it. I think it looks great! I'm happy to pamper it - it's a small car so it's easy to pamper. Does it have any micro scratches? I guess if you really look in the sun it might. But I don't mind - Italian sports cars are supposed to be red!

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I got instant water spots on my red Lusso the first time I washed it. I've never had a car get water spots in decades of car ownership. My Mini has a rock hard finish. Anyway, I ripped Fiat a new one on a satisfaction survey and they contacted me and left a contact number so when I get back to them I will be interested to see what comes of it. I'm really upset that you have to pamper a $27k car.
There a saying: Absense of evidence is not evidence of absence. In our case this relates to not seeing the light scratching or waterspotting on certain lighter colors. I believe they are there just not easily visible. The deep red is such a contrasting color to the spotting and white light reflected from the scratching, it just shows it more. Unfortunatly due to environmental issues, the paint on out cars has changed over the years and I'm guessing some for the better and some worse. When my Lancia Zagato was painted with red Dupont Chromabase I had the same issues with anything showing up on the paint. A spider web lands on the paint, you see it. You touch the door on the pain to close it, you see it. Special care and the proper polish and it stays looking nice. I will be researching just what type of wax/sealant/protectant to use on the car to help protect the paint.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My detailer recommended "Turtle Wax Ice" after washing (two bucket method):

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-477R-ICE-Spray/dp/B007KTINWQ

Seems simple and easy. Every 6-12 months I'll have him re-apply the "hard" wax/sealant product. And we'll just have to see how it goes. If I have too, I'll get the car repainted every 5 years :). But I doubt it will come to that...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts