Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Over the weekend I was driving on the highway at about 70 mph - I gave the car some throttle in 6th, and had the back end slide out. Slid backwards into a concrete barrier going ~60 mph.

No serious injuries - a bit of light airbag abrasion, some seat belt to the neck, and a sore hand from it breaking the windshield.

Car doesn't look super bad at first glance - especially given what happened; but when you look the following have damage:
  • Hood
  • Front bumper
  • Both front fenders
  • Driver door
  • Passenger quarter panel
  • Trunk
  • Rear bumper
  • Front end damage I can't really see but know is there (front passenger wheel pushed several inches forward)
  • Rear suspension damage
  • Wheels / tires
  • Windshield
  • Driver airbag
Had it towed to the shop I normally use and am waiting for Geico to come out and take a look. I suspect it's totaled given the amount of damage (almost every body panel), the lack of availability of used parts, the cost and wait time to get new ones.

IMG_0063.jpg

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Really sorry James. That truly sucks. If it's totaled will you get another one?

·
Registered
187 Posts
That sucks. Glad to hear you came out of it relatively unharmed. But yeah, can't see them repairing it.

With that said...

sound of vultures descending

... dibs on the Brembos! ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
So sorry! I hope that the can be saved, but it looks unlikely. It's amazing that the car would get unsettled in 6th gear. Was it raining?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do want to get another one. I really want a Ceramica Gray Metallic Abarth - but I don't see any for sale in the US. I fell in love with the color on the MX-5 back when I almost bought an RF over the Abarth.

I'm waiting to hear if it's totaled officially, but plan on visiting a Fiat dealership to see if there are some in-flight to the US or if it's still possible to order a 2020 Ceramica Gray Metallic Abarth w/Manual, Recaros, Visilibity Package, and maybe Brembos.

The car has Recaros too! Hope we can find where it ends up. I already pulled all the mods except for the springs off of it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
That sucks. Glad you're ok though. Lucky, considering the speed.

You may be right about it being totaled. Last month I hit a deer and just did front end damage and the estimate came in at $9300.
I wish you well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So sorry! I hope that the can be saved, but it looks unlikely. It's amazing that the car would get unsettled in 6th gear. Was it raining?
Yes, it was raining - just enough to make it all slippery and oily. Yeah, I'd never had the car act up like this in the three years of ownership.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I do want to get another one. I really want a Ceramica Gray Metallic Abarth - but I don't see any for sale in the US. I fell in love with the color on the MX-5 back when I almost bought an RF over the Abarth.

I'm waiting to hear if it's totaled officially, but plan on visiting a Fiat dealership to see if there are some in-flight to the US or if it's still possible to order a 2020 Ceramica Gray Metallic Abarth w/Manual, Recaros, Visilibity Package, and maybe Brembos.

The car has Recaros too! Hope we can find where it ends up. I already pulled all the mods except for the springs off of it.
I'm very sorry for your loss, hope you find the new abarth soon. And really glad you are relatively okay.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
That sucks. Glad to hear you came out of it relatively unharmed. But yeah, can't see them repairing it.

With that said...

sound of vultures descending

... dibs on the Brembos! ;)
I thought it was too soon to go there...

But since @Kain did, can you snag me a 12mm bolt that holds on the skid plate underneath? And one pop rivet in the trunk kind sir. :)

Reactions: CXXIV

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
As others have stated, I'll join the chorus and say that I too am glad to hear you came out of this relatively unscathed. That must have been one hell of a wild ride for the few seconds it would have taken to occur. Stupid question, but I'll ask it.... was traction control disabled at the time, or did it kick loose even with it turned on?

Please don't take my next comment as being insincere, but in ways, if it is a write-off, that might be for the better. I can't ever imagine having it repaired and being happy with the results. I wish you success in finding a replacement, and hope you are able to source the combination of features you desire.

Reactions: CXXIV and frankmar

·
Registered
988 Posts
Glad you are ok. I've had the back end go when I broke traction off a roundabout in 3rd....greasy roads and lack of experience. Fortunately only cosmetic.

Have to ask....breaking traction in 6th at highway speeds seems really difficult- was everything ok with the car ? Tyres, alignment etc before the accident ? That read tyre looks bald on the inside but assuming that as a result of skidding?

Hope youi get a good outcome.

Reactions: Calehedron

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,678 Posts
Glad you are ok, sorry for the structural damage. That's the worst, I'll take rebuilding an engine or transmission any day. I do concur with @boddle88 that it looks like the rubber had seen better days.

My inner Turkey Buzzard wonders about the front UCAs seeing the hit to the right front...

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Greetings,

Over the weekend I was driving on the highway at about 70 mph - I gave the car some throttle in 6th, and had the back end slide out. Slid backwards into a concrete barrier going ~60 mph.

No serious injuries - a bit of light airbag abrasion, some seat belt to the neck, and a sore hand from it breaking the windshield.

Car doesn't look super bad at first glance - especially given what happened; but when you look the following have damage:
  • Hood
  • Front bumper
  • Both front fenders
  • Driver door
  • Passenger quarter panel
  • Trunk
  • Rear bumper
  • Front end damage I can't really see but know is there (front passenger wheel pushed several inches forward)
  • Rear suspension damage
  • Wheels / tires
  • Windshield
  • Driver airbag
Had it towed to the shop I normally use and am waiting for Geico to come out and take a look. I suspect it's totaled given the amount of damage (almost every body panel), the lack of availability of used parts, the cost and wait time to get new ones.
I feel your hurt. Thankfully you are ok. These cars are really good at protecting it’s occupants. My accident was on 02/05/2018. I lost my cherished Fabiana. My only injuries other than pride was a scratch on my forehead from the airbag pushing my glasses up and an airbag burn to my wrist. I still sport the scar.

3DC20DD5-9B60-4CB5-9859-E6BE7E6F394B.jpeg
235D7358-1033-4013-AB40-ABADB98B39E3.jpeg

I purchased a new car as soon as my insurance agent confirmed my car was a total. Now I have Aurora.

138B3C5E-DD01-483A-B483-775E81AA15B4.jpeg

Two years later my MINI was totaled. Just my luck.

118DBB51-746C-447C-A9C3-CCF5DC0F59B8.jpeg

I now have a replacement. So be happy that you are ok. Cars can be replaced. Our lives can’t.

Dan

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Glad you're Ok, but for your spider, I think it becomes personal. I see the front suspension got hit beside the exteriour frame. I say, start looking for another one just in case they tell you it needs to be replaced. At least you'll get a head start and if that is what you want, then fight for it.

Reactions: Jesus Santa

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone. Yeah, tires have seen better days but passed inspection the week before. Traction control was on. The car has always been a bit twitchy and pretty willing to steer via the throttle, but I'd say I hit maybe 20-30% throttle w/sport mode engaged (no pedal booster stuff).

Definitely paying more attention to tires in the future!

Turns out the Ceramica Gray Metallic color is only on the 2019's and there are no Abarths left. Does anyone know if a 2019/2020 Abarth w/ Vision automatically gets the shark fin antenna?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts