Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From start to finish, and every step along the way, here's my experience getting a EuroCompulsion tune on my 124 Spider.

Relevant mod list at the time of writing:

- EC V4 Intake
- EC Intercooler
- EC Catch Can
- Madness Sila turbo blanket
- EC Boost Gauge (tutorial coming soon)

Suspension/wheel mods will play a part in how the power gets to the ground, so here's that just in case:
- GWR RoadsterSport Springs
- Advanti Racing Storm S1 ET35 17x7 wheels on 215/45/17 Firehawk Indy 500 tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Looking fwd to the boost gauge tutorial

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thing I got from them was actually an e-mail. They had set up my account online with a service called ShareFile.

I was prompted for couple basic items like password, and then logged into a file interface shown here, where I have a folder with my name on it and one for instructions & Manuals:

Drill down into the Instructions Info & Manuals folder, then the FIAT 124 Spider folder, and we have three documents available:

Let's see what that first document looks like. I clicked on it, and surprisingly, it didn't download the file, but rather opened it up inside the actual website. Sometimes, it will download the file and open it in the browser, but this time, it simply displayed the doc in the browser. After an unusually long wait, the doc finally displayed. I feel that some optimization can be made with that PDF, as there's not much reason a PDF should be ~20MB in size (fairly certain that's what caused the longer wait time), but all of the info is there.

Let's go back one with the < icon in the top left of the page, which brings us to the main instruction view. Let's see what the tune request form looks like. I click on it, and I get the same view as before, but no way to edit it in here in the website. Instructions say to fill out the form and upload to the portal folder with my stock file. I didn't pull my stock file yet, so I'll hold off on this part. There's a Download button, so let's see if I can open that with Adobe Acrobat on my own computer.

I'm using Chrome browser, so I simply hit the options button on the download, and clicked Open with system viewer.

Ha, well this is neat. The PDF has fillable form fields! I'll fill this out now.

Instructions say to upload it with my stock file, so I'll upload it now and my stock file later. I'll go back to the folder with my name on it, into the Stock file folder, and click on one of those two options (they do the same thing). Find where I saved my EC tune file, and bam, we're done!

Well then, aside from the slow wait time on that instructions doc, the prep work was pretty smooth. I might get a video of this whole process later just so you guys can see what I did in real time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Relative merits of the actual tunes aside, I will say that EC's process for submitting tune requests and getting tune files back is slicker than the "competition who shall not be named".

Neither process is hard, but EC's is just a little more polished.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Relative merits of the actual tunes aside, I will say that EC's process for submitting tune requests and getting tune files back is slicker than the "competition who shall not be named".

I will agree with this. I like that all your files are kept in your personal folder and you get an instant email when something is uploaded.

·
Registered
304 Posts

Who Tork? Yeah ECs process is much better and faster turn around usually.

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made a video of the prep earlier today. Please bear with the low resolution, it takes youtube a while to move it from 360p to the full resolution.

I think I'll be taking a video for the next bits as I found this to be far easier and less time consuming as taking screenshots and uploading them. I'll have to figure out why the microphone is cutting the volume when I start talking after a pause, probably because it's trying to eliminate background noise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi slightly OT but can anybody advise what the "From" e-mail address is when ShareFile e-mails you your invitation and/or password reset? I put sharefile.com and eurocompulsion.sharefile.com into my e-mail spam filter whitelist but nada dang thing shows up in my inbox or junk box when i try "forgot my password" on sharefile.com's login page (and i never got an invite to begin with but it is probably spam filtering and i am whitelisting wrong!) TIA!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi slightly OT but can anybody advise what the "From" e-mail address is when ShareFile e-mails you your invitation and/or password reset? I put sharefile.com and eurocompulsion.sharefile.com into my e-mail spam filter whitelist but nada dang thing shows up in my inbox or junk box when i try "forgot my password" on sharefile.com's login page (and i never got an invite to begin with but it is probably spam filtering and i am whitelisting wrong!) TIA!
My password resets have previously come from [email protected]

May also try:
[email protected]
[email protected]

My email shows the initial account notification as coming from the tuning email.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update - I got into EC's ShareFile and have now installed my phase 1. Ran into a slight hitch with it after 5pm Eastern but EC tuning support was all over helping me out. That was some fast, amazing, fantastic support!

·
Registered
20 Posts
....And now a full issue retrospective for the next person (ie I am not describing parts that went fine, just how the slight hitch and its solution went) writing phase 1:

When the handheld starts programming the ECU into the car, an empty progress bar displays on the handheld. Under normal functioning, the progress bar will start filling in and showing progress in just a minute or two. If your progress bar is still empty during programming after 2 minutes, you might be encountering "the hitch." The hitch is that occasionally a car will not accept a new tuning file. Some folks refer to it as "bricking," but a brick will always be a brick, so tempbrick might be a better word for it, as it's easy enough to fix.

I waited like 25 minutes on an empty "programming" progress bar and then started reading 124spider.org, hoping to find reports akin to "yeah the progress bar showed no progress for 45 minutes and then bam it was full and done" but I found no comments like that and figured I'd encountered "the hitch."

Looking up EC's contact info I found one phone number and called it but it was Chris / sales / Ohio. The way to get to tuning support is, exclusively, their tuning at EC e-mail address (which I won't put here in case it ever changes; check their site's contact page).

Tuning support replied at 5:28 via e-mail to my 5:21 e-mail. That quick response time was within as many minutes as I sat at my computer hoping for an ~immediate reply. I was impressed!

They provided a PDF of to-do's for me to get unhitched, reset, and started over with the handheld process. They gave me new tune files, and my entire interaction with tuning support stared at 5:25 pm and they were totally done at 6:33 (having dropped my new tune file onto the EC share file site). My side of things took about 15 more minutes to finish writing the car. The file wrote just fine on this try. The progress bar started making progress / showed progress in maybe 30 seconds.

They did ask if I'd hooked the car up to a battery tender, which I had not and sheepishly admitted I'd lied to my handheld, but not using a battery tender was actually the better way to go, so you can probably ignore all your handheld's demands to make sure your car is "attached to a stable battery" (but i make no guarantees and YRMV, heh heh)

That said, hello next person! I hope this helps and saves you some time waiting on the progress bar and saves youu any needless fretting in case you encounter the hitch. It's not a big deal if you have allotted yourself an extra hour 'cause that is all it cost me: just 1 hour. The car is fine!

To be clear, EC tuning support was fantastic. I required support. The only way my phase 1 write could have been better would have been not needing support, but since I did need support, I can't figure how any support could have been better than EC's. EC support was better than even having anybody come to my house and fix it for me, because no matter where they came from, even if just across town, they would have taken longer. I wrote this on here just to provide all the info I'd hoped to find here (and maybe it's somewhere on here, but this is what I found!)

·
Registered
175 Posts
My "hitch" was worse than yours. My handheld permanently bricked and their was nothing EC nor DimSport could do after they both remoted into my laptop and attempted fixing my handheld. I had to have mine replaced. All in all it took about a week to get it all sorted (had to repeat tune process), and while frustrating to say the least, I couldn't have asked for better customer service than I received.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I have flashed mine so many times and never had an issue.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have flashed mine so many times and never had an issue.
You are lucky then. Wish I was you. My second handheld did the job and flashed EC's tune to my ECU successfully the first time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can only speculate why the issue happens but considering that absolutely zero progress was made writing to car, I would imagine the PGP encrypted tune file possibly was not able to be decrypted and the handheld firmware is unable to handle that situation because its creators never anticipated a failure to decrypt. How that issue could arise is the DimSport folks have multiple clients who have different public keys for decrypting DimSport's private key encryped file and DimSport accidentally targeted the wrong client? This speculation could be wildly wrong but it would be my first thought if I were looking into it, and I do look into that sort of thing from time to time. Still though, that's 100% speculation, my concept might be on but my details might be off, or I might be absolutely wrong, but I'd gamble $100 on DimSport targeting the wrong client somehow in the tune file and then the handheld, unable to keep going, gives up and freezes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I can only speculate why the issue happens but considering that absolutely zero progress was made writing to car, I would imagine the PGP encrypted tune file possibly was not able to be decrypted and the handheld firmware is unable to handle that situation because its creators never anticipated a failure to decrypt. How that issue could arise is the DimSport folks have multiple clients who have different public keys for decrypting DimSport's private key encryped file and DimSport accidentally targeted the wrong client? This speculation could be wildly wrong but it would be my first thought if I were looking into it, and I do look into that sort of thing from time to time. Still though, that's 100% speculation, my concept might be on but my details might be off, or I might be absolutely wrong, but I'd gamble $100 on DimSport targeting the wrong client somehow in the tune file and then the handheld, unable to keep going, gives up and freezes.
Having an IT background, that sounds plausible to me. Good theory.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I’ve flashed successfully so many times - with two different types of handhelds - I think if the flash counter we all worry about from a warranty standpoint is a single byte, I m probably due to roll over to zero again ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts