Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a roll (1'x4') of yellow lens tint lying around and was thinking about applying it to the fog lights. Upon closer examination of the front end I began wondering how it would look over top of the White LED DRL's. SO knowing I had alot of spare tint, I measured some to a rough size then applied it ( adhesive backed) to my main headlight over just the DRL portion. I then used an exacto knife to trim it more precisely so the it covered the DRL but did not interfere with the halo portion. I liked the look of it so I pulled the piece back off and used it as a template to make the good one. Then I flipped over the template to reverse it and make a template for the other side. Peeled off the backing and applied them to both sides. I love the look of it and I feel it adds a little more European flair. Very happy! And remember, this is all on top of the outside lens - no disassembly required.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's also not legal, unfortunately (in the US). Yellow fog lights were banned a couple decades ago.

Federal regulations are that forward-facing lights are to be white only. Yellow is for side marker lights, tail lights are red. They want no ambiguity as to which part of the car you're looking at.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's also not legal, unfortunately (in the US). Yellow fog lights were banned a couple decades ago.

Federal regulations are that forward-facing lights are to be white only. Yellow is for side marker lights, tail lights are red. They want no ambiguity as to which part of the car you're looking at.
That's interesting. Different laws in the US I guess. Here in Canada we have had DRL's as a requirement since Jan 1st, 1990!. A number of manufacturers lobbied the government to allow high brightness parking lights to be used as DRL's. In fact I believe the original 1st gen miata was one of the big pushes for the allowance of yellow or amber DRL's because of course it had pop up headlights which many thought made the car look less attractive if they always had to be driven with the lights up. So mazda was eventually allowed to use their amber parking lights as DRL's. Even today, a number of manufacturers have yellow or amber as their DRL's.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
That's interesting. Different laws in the US I guess. Here in Canada we have had DRL's as a requirement since Jan 1st, 1990!. A number of manufacturers lobbied the government to allow high brightness parking lights to be used as DRL's. In fact I believe the original 1st gen miata was one of the big pushes for the allowance of yellow or amber DRL's because of course it had pop up headlights which many thought made the car look less attractive if they always had to be driven with the lights up. So mazda was eventually allowed to use their amber parking lights as DRL's. Even today, a number of manufacturers have yellow or amber as their DRL's.
A mix of both here in Aus. Fog lights can be white or yellow but can only be used in fog. Using them at any other time is illegal and it's enforced. DRLs must be white. Turn signals must be amber.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've considered this look...

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
I personally think that looks great. Really changes it up for something so little and subtle. Good going on that one! Should've kept a template and started selling them ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts

If this is true, there's almost zero enforcement here in the US. There are any number of vehicles that violate that. Many cars have white side marker lights and our Fiat's have yellow turn signals in the back. Dodge Challengers have yellow signals up front from the factory. US lighting laws are out of date and decades behind those in Europe and elsewhere. Part of that is due to the lack of maintenance the average American car owner performs, which means that there is no MOT inspection that would catch an inoperative automatic high beam like exists across the pond.

But, on the color of lighting, I'm guessing that if car manufacturers can totally disregard the color issue, doing a set of yellow DRL is not going to bring a fine from the police.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The yellow is probably good for safety, as it might make the lane changing SUV subconsciously fear that a cop is following them, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts