Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've just spent several hours (of my life that I'll never get back) in the quest to find some specific tire size answers. After that effort, I'm still baffled, so I'm seeking guidance from those that know more on this topic that I'll ever begin to fathom.

Criteria: I am only looking for new rubber options. I'm not changing anything else. No winter driving. 2017 Abarth 124 Spider with OEM rims, offset, camber, yadda, yadda, yadda. Just want a different tire size. My goal is a wider tire profile and more unique tread pattern. Yes, mostly aesthetics, but with the assumption that handling won't be 180 degrees different from the OEM tires.

So I am looking at Nito Invo tires in a 225 45 R17. They have a spec'd radius of 24.96", and a section width of 8.98".

I know from reading that the recommended max tire size for the OEM wheels is a 215, but will a 225 function.... or am I going to get rubbing on the fender liners in the front end?

Here's a link to the tire's I'm wondering about... Nitto INVO tires

Thank you all for your patience and understanding in regards to my quest.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not a tire/wheel expert for the 124 or any other vehicle.
Two weeks ago I purchased 4 Federal SS-595 size 215/45R17 and had them mounted on my stock Abarth rims.
They are wider and more aggressive looking than the stock Bridgestones. My 124 is riding like it's on rails and the tires are sticking to the road. I'm a performance minded driver. These tires are VERY inexpensive. So much so, I seriously wondered about the quality. A lot of reviews on these tires are very good to excellent and I'm really enjoying them so far. They are all season so I plan to use them through the winter and buy Firehawk Indy 500's with new lightweight wheels for next summer. The cost of the federal's were so low, I figured I had little to lose by giving them a try...Glad I bought them. Fun tires! 215/45/17 is an easy up size with no issues. I too have over read and over thought about what tires/wheels to buy and decided to play it safe with the 215's. Expect to pay ~250 to 270 USD for a set of 4 delivered.
federal-ss-595-055-.jpg

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I rubbed ar the front on full lock with the fat 215 Michelin PS4. Turned out there is a bit of play in the arch liners but a couple of washers under the trim clips.sorted that out.

I don't think I'd get away with 225s and not rub but others seem to.

I'll give a vote to the PS4s though. Expensive but the best tyre I've had on a car.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not a tire/wheel expert for the 124 or any other vehicle.
Two weeks ago I purchased 4 Federal SS-595 size 215/45R17 and had them mounted on my stock Abarth rims.
They are wider and more aggressive looking than the stock Bridgestones. My 124 is riding like it's on rails and the tires are sticking to the road. I'm a performance minded driver. These tires are VERY inexpensive. So much so, I seriously wondered about the quality. A lot of reviews on these tires are very good to excellent and I'm really enjoying them so far. They are all season so I plan to use them through the winter and buy Firehawk Indy 500's with new lightweight wheels for next summer. The cost of the federal's were so low, I figured I had little to lose by giving them a try...Glad I bought them. Fun tires! 215/45/17 is an easy up size with no issues. I too have over read and over thought about what tires/wheels to buy and decided to play it safe with the 215's. Expect to pay ~250 to 270 USD for a set of 4 delivered.
Can you post a couple of photos of the tires on your car? One from the side so I can see the sidewall profile, and one directly from the rear (lower down) so I can get a feel for the width of them. TIA

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rubbed ar the front on full lock with the fat 215 Michelin PS4. Turned out there is a bit of play in the arch liners but a couple of washers under the trim clips.sorted that out.

I don't think I'd get away with 225s and not rub but others seem to.

I'll give a vote to the PS4s though. Expensive but the best tyre I've had on a car.
When you talked about adding washers, are you referring to the locations centred on the wheel, or the ones on the edge of the fenders... or both areas? Lastly, were you using a plastic washer, or did you use some stainless washers for the purpose? How many on each pin? Thickness? TIA

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
@CDPond

Mainly the trim clips behind the wheel, that attach the arch liner to the main structure. I had about half inch if play which was enough. This has fixed it.

I used metal 1mm thick washers which the trim clips can accept and tightens everything up. No rubbing since.

Reactions: CDPond

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@CDPond

Mainly the trim clips behind the wheel, that attach the arch liner to the main structure. I had about half inch if play which was enough. This has fixed it.

I used metal 1mm thick washers which the trim clips can accept and tightens everything up. No rubbing since.
Thanks.... appreciated. Looks like I'll end up with 215's, so I might as well do this at the same time as a preventative measure. I've got some black 2mm PVC sheet stock and some ring cutters for my drill press, so I need to do some fabrication work. :) Much appreciation for the quick reply.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
No problem at all! Yiu may have no play at all, I've worked hard over the last 4 years to tighten things up and quieter things down...I have a July2016 model so maybe a few more things less well fitting than others.

Loads on here run 215s no rubbing. I only had it on absolute full lock and thats an MOT fail (by the book) so wanted to sort it.

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
218 Posts
Crystal Coast, have you inspected carefully for any rubbing, both on the inner and outer areas in the wheel wells? Sounds like an excellent tire option if the wider stance clears everything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can you post a couple of photos of the tires on your car? One from the side so I can see the sidewall profile, and one directly from the rear (lower down) so I can get a feel for the width of them. TIA
I'll be glad to. It will be a couple of days before I'm back with my Abarth as I'm away from home.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you look in @ameridan blog he mentions that stock abarth rims fit 225's I don't see any problems of rubbing things you should do read in @Good-Win Racing page is get proper alignment. almost 25 is a tight fit but doable. you should go to a local tire dealer for installation and see how it fits. some do it for free.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yes, but a slight rub at absolute full lock may not be obvious to everyone. I was very aware as sadly it's a mot fail here. Had to really listen and even then only noticed when weight was over the front wheels (sloped drive). Talking maybe 2mm of touch.

I agree on alignment though. I'll be getting another one in the coming months.

·
124 Spider Vendor
986 Posts
I drove to shop today with 225/45/17 on 17x7. We use that size for SCCA CS so we end up with some sets every year that are eventually too slow for competition but still fast and fun for street use and we will use them on 17x8 or leave stuffed them on 17x7 as required by the CS class rules. YES, that rubs fender liner. No, we don't really care about it. YES, performance alignment will cut back on the rubbing because we give up some caster to max the camber.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I drove to shop today with 225/45/17 on 17x7. We use that size for SCCA CS so we end up with some sets every year that are eventually too slow for competition but still fast and fun for street use and we will use them on 17x8 or leave stuffed them on 17x7 as required by the CS class rules. YES, that rubs fender liner. No, we don't really care about it. YES, performance alignment will cut back on the rubbing because we give up some caster to max the camber.
Thanks for that, I knew that the will fit not sure about rubbing but thanks

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
Here some tire size data that might be useful.

First, comparison of the stock Lusso/Abarth tire size compared to "popular" replacements (i.e. forum members have reported successful fitment, at least to some degree:

205/45/R17 versus:

215/45/R17

225/45/R17

235/40/R17

245/36/R17

And here are some tire size availability charts where you can see size differences compared to stock sizes for a given rim diameter.

For the Classica crowd (and others) rollin' on 16's:

For the Lusso/Abarth and other's sprtin' 17's:

For those crazy enough to try stuffin' 18's:

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you BillaVista, that's some excellent material to work from. I like the concept of a 235/40R17.... because of the width of the tire, and that the diameter is nearly identical. But I'm assuming it's too wide to fit on the stock rims.... or could they? And if they could, would I need spacers to gain clearance inside the wheel wells during full lock turning?

I apologize in advance for just adding more questions into the mix, but as you can tell, tires are "not my thing". I can check pressure and measure tread wear, and change them if I have to.... but that's about the end of my practical knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Thank you BillaVista, that's some excellent material to work from. I like the concept of a 235/40R17.... because of the width of the tire, and that the diameter is nearly identical. But I'm assuming it's too wide to fit on the stock rims.... or could they? And if they could, would I need spacers to gain clearance inside the wheel wells during full lock turning?

I apologize in advance for just adding more questions into the mix, but as you can tell, tires are "not my thing". I can check pressure and measure tread wear, and change them if I have to.... but that's about the end of my practical knowledge.
In my opinion....and for what it's worth, the recommendations of the tyre charts and expert motoring writers / testers I sought and followed all said follow the "PLUS 1" rule for safety....the recommended sizes are 205 / 215 and 225 max but but Boddle and myself went 215 (Aldo also I remember him posting) and chose Michelin Pilot Sport 4's as they came out top in all the tests UK wise anyway. so 215/45 R17 is the perfect fit, for inertia, grip, cornering and good looks without being squat.....Canadian roads would be my only concern / thought here....The Michelins are sold as "Summer tyres" though they work brilliantly in tests in all conditions but we don't have 20 foot snow drifts and brown bears to outrun........Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In my opinion....and for what it's worth, the recommendations of the tyre charts and expert motoring writers / testers I sought and followed all said follow the "PLUS 1" rule for safety....the recommended sizes are 205 / 215 and 225 max but but Boddle and myself went 215 (Aldo also I remember him posting) and chose Michelin Pilot Sport 4's as they came out top in all the tests UK wise anyway. so 215/45 R17 is the perfect fit, for inertia, grip, cornering and good looks without being squat.....Canadian roads would be my only concern / thought here....The Michelins are sold as "Summer tyres" though they work brilliantly in tests in all conditions but we don't have 20 foot snow drifts and brown bears to outrun........Cheers
ron
Canadian roads? Were you just taking the piss to get a rise out of me? lol

Given I don't drive my car in the winter, and the bears for the most part stay off the road 'cause, well, you know.... berry bushes grow much better in the woods than they do out of pavement.... what I'm wanting is something that looks good, and performs well in dry and wet conditions. I don't go through the Rockies before late spring, and not after September because at elevation, you can encounter winter conditions and even highway closures in the mountain passes. Water handling is my biggest consideration in regards to going with a wider profile. In a heavy downpour, even the stock tires that came on my Abarth don't do a great job of sloughing water and preventing hydroplaning. So the tires I've been looking at all heavily feature deep radial grooves to deal with heavy rainfall situations. You have to remember that in my part of the world, a 900 km (600 mile) one day drive is a bit long but not at all unreasonable. My longest one day run in the Spider was just a touch over 1200 km, but I was pretty tired when I got home that night.

In that kind of distance, you can come across a wide variety of weather conditions.... but in the summer, that's going to be hot and sunny, or rain (and with rain, you watch out for hail... the big stuff that can break your glass and beat the crap out of your bodywork). But heavy rain is the challenge. Vehicle stability from hydroplaing, as well as the buffeting and blindness that occurs when you meet or come in close proximity to a semi while passing it.... or it passing you. Those are the scary times.

I'm interested in 225's.... or potentially a 235 as it in a 40 profile has almost exactly the same diameter as the 205/45 R17's it comes with. 225's sound reasonable from most of what I've read, and as much as I'd like 235/40 R17's, I strongly suspect it's not doable. IMHO, a 215 is so close to the OEM size I don't see the point. It's like comparing 68 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit. But if you're happy with that sizing, it's a safe choice and I respect your decision. I'm just looking for something wider, and I'm doing my research now so I can make a purchase next spring. By the end of this summer's driving season, I should have 60,000km on the factory tires and with spirited driving that should show enough treadwear to warrant a new set of rubber for 2021.

As always, interesting to read your thoughts on a given topic. Happy motoring...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts