Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about turbo upgrade but still have some conserns...
So what is your daily experience on streets? What turbo do you have? Worth it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Anty.....Really interesting starter thread, just surprised that nobody has picked up on it yet. I have read on this forum a fair few comments on install and intake modifications, people chatting about Big Turbos so it would be good to see, in reality what advantages are experienced against what problems have been met with and overcome.
I am very happy with the performance I get from Modding my basic Classica by "Abarthising" it, I am not looking to have a "Stuffed Turbo or a Tune" but I also want to know, so....Come on Guys, don't be shy.............Cheers
ron

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Anty.....Really interesting starter thread, just surprised that nobody has picked up on it yet. I have read on this forum a fair few comments on install and intake modifications, people chatting about Big Turbos so it would be good to see, in reality what advantages are experienced against what problems have been met with and overcome.
I am very happy with the performance I get from Modding my basic Classica by "Abarthising" it, I am not looking to have a "Stuffed Turbo or a Tune" but I also want to know, so....Come on Guys, don't be shy.............Cheers
ron
TURBO OPTIONS by Seth thread 2 months ago gives pages of valuable information, just not what it;s like to live with.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I’d like to know DD impressions as well

·
Registered
512 Posts
In love with my 1446+. Zero issues with performance. Makes me smile when i drive it. Wife drove the last couple days, and she said it's all right actually. Said it feels like a race car at 40 mph. I'm driving slow but it doesn't feel like it anymore. She was worried she wouldn't be able to drive it as a normal car. When i drive it, the 1446+ and phase 3 from ec is absolutely perfect for an abarth automatic.

Install was easier than the intercooler, yet not easy. I have stock downpipe and cross and midpipe with AR non resonated axle back.

Have experienced zero of my concerns with either delayed boost mid range or loss of low end performance. Quite the opposite in reality. You don't need to go wot to feel the gains. They are there at 2500, just like the dyno curve shows.

It's a strong 'buy' from me

·
Registered
661 Posts
In love with my 1446+. Zero issues with performance. Makes me smile when i drive it. Wife drove the last couple days, and she said it's all right actually. Said it feels like a race car at 40 mph. I'm driving slow but it doesn't feel like it anymore. She was worried she wouldn't be able to drive it as a normal car. When i drive it, the 1446+ and phase 3 from ec is absolutely perfect for an abarth automatic.

Install was easier than the intercooler, yet not easy. I have stock downpipe and cross and midpipe with AR non resonated axle back.

Have experienced zero of my concerns with either delayed boost mid range or loss of low end performance. Quite the opposite in reality. You don't need to go wot to feel the gains. They are there at 2500, just like the dyno curve shows.

It's a strong 'buy' from me
Exactly what he said 👆. Fiat should have made it feel like this out of the box. Respect to EC for making it Happen. Racer or cruiser, we all get on the throttle here and there, some gently, some WOT... no one should be driving one of these without a stuffed turbo. It won’t make it a Ferrari, but it will give it what it needs and when you drive it, you’ll understand.
Buy it !!!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Mine is a daily driver and it is a blast to drive. If I could do it all again there are a number of things I would do differently, but the EC turbo I would absolutely do again. I have a minor performance drop below 3k rpm as the boost threshold was shifted up, but it spools up hard and fast above 3k and pulls hard to redline. This sounds different than @alltimesaresoon’s experience, but he and I have completely different exhaust setups, his mostly stock and mine all aftermarket from the turbo back, so maybe that’s why. I just wish I had the transmission behavior that the Abarth has in Sport mode because it’s probably a perfect match with the turbo. I’m still holding out hope for TCM tuning in the future, or the possibility of adding Sport mode functionality to the Lusso. I have considered E85 and P4, but I’m not sure I want to deal with E85 on a daily driver. I do have E85 readily available around me.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Mine is a daily driver and it is a blast to drive. If I could do it all again there are a number of things I would do differently, but the EC turbo I would absolutely do again. I have a minor performance drop below 3k rpm as the boost threshold was shifted up, but it spools up hard and fast above 3k and pulls hard to redline. This sounds different than @alltimesaresoon’s experience, but he and I have completely different exhaust setups, his mostly stock and mine all aftermarket from the turbo back, so maybe that’s why. I just wish I had the transmission behavior that the Abarth has in Sport mode because it’s probably a perfect match with the turbo. I’m still holding out hope for TCM tuning in the future, or the possibility of adding Sport mode functionality to the Lusso. I have considered E85 and P4, but I’m not sure I want to deal with E85 on a daily driver. I do have E85 readily available around me.
I'll sell you my Abarth :)

I've actually considered trading it for one of the last-of-the-last cars when the end is finally announced to keep as a forever car. I'd get one with the options I wish I'd held out for (LEDs and Brembos) and maybe in a color more compatible with my OCD.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I suspect the abarth is a bigger part of it with sport mode vs exhaust difference. I feel a huge difference between sport and non sport. The shift and acceleration changes are very beneficial with p3 and 1446 plus. Admittedly non sport is p2+, but you can tell the acceleration mapping and shift point changes with sport, and it's a huge plus low and mid range

·
Registered
512 Posts
I should arrange a meet and drive with you Dave

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I suspect the abarth is a bigger part of it with sport mode vs exhaust difference. I feel a huge difference between sport and non sport. The shift and acceleration changes are very beneficial with p3 and 1446 plus. Admittedly non sport is p2+, but you can tell the acceleration mapping and shift point changes with sport, and it's a huge plus low and mid range
I'm sure I read somewhere that, based on dyno observations, the ECU set-up in the Lusso and Classica appears to match sport in the Abarth rather than non-sport.

I might have imagined that though.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I'll sell you my Abarth :)

I've actually considered trading it for one of the last-of-the-last cars when the end is finally announced to keep as a forever car. I'd get one with the options I wish I'd held out for (LEDs and Brembos) and maybe in a color more compatible with my OCD.
I haven't seen a car in the PermaClean color yet.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Read that too wooley but my brain wont believe it til i compare back to back

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I think it doesn’t matter between Classica/Lusso and Abarth in Sport once tunes come in to play, with the exception of TCM shift points and mapping in the Abarth Sport mode. A Lusso with P3 should be comparable to P3 in the Sport slot of the Abarth, with Sport giving the edge because of TCM differences if the two cars are auto.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Dave, do you think the Sport Cat is truly beneficial? I wish we had more data. I've been coming around to the thought that the cost per horsepower of a full exhaust on this car isn't worth it. The turbo and exhaust upgrade cost about the same and I'm willing to bet the power of the upgraded turbo is several times what you get from the exhaust. And the stock exhaust should be able to handle 250 HP easily.

I wish I had done a better job of testing when I was upgrading. Just looking at my track times the best bang for the buck by far was tires. I went from a 1:09.995 to a 1:07.171 after I added the Dunlops and EC FMIC. But track temps dropped from 91F to 54F between those runs. Both times were on the stock tune. Then three weeks later I added the full GWR exhaust and Tork tune and did a 1:06.201 but the track was an almost perfect 64F. My point is, I don't think the exhaust added that much extra power. I picked up 30 whp from the tune alone and only went .9 seconds faster.

Now if we want to talk about smiles per mile from the exhaust then that is different.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Dave, do you think the Sport Cat is truly beneficial? I wish we had more data. I've been coming around to the thought that the cost per horsepower of a full exhaust on this car isn't worth it. The turbo and exhaust upgrade cost about the same and I'm willing to bet the power of the upgraded turbo is several times what you get from the exhaust. And the stock exhaust should be able to handle 250 HP easily.

I wish I had done a better job of testing when I was upgrading. Just looking at my track times the best bang for the buck by far was tires. I went from a 1:09.995 to a 1:07.171 after I added the Dunlops and EC FMIC. But track temps dropped from 91F to 54F between those runs. Both times were on the stock tune. Then three weeks later I added the full GWR exhaust and Tork tune and did a 1:06.201 but the track was an almost perfect 64F. My point is, I don't think the exhaust added that much extra power. I picked up 30 whp from the tune alone and only went .9 seconds faster.

Now if we want to talk about smiles per mile from the exhaust then that is different.
What I would do differently if I could go back is stick with the OEM exhaust and add the Record Monza (and the Abarth midpipe since I have a Lusso). In fact all I would do are the mods that EC did to their car, keeping it simple. I think @alltimesaresoon has the perfect street car setup.

It’s hard to say that the SportCat provides no benefit, but I just have no data. It’s clearly working well for Brian, the GWR car is a race monster. I think it improved my spool time, but I installed it the same time I installed the crosspipe and exhaust, so how do I know the benefit came from the cat and not the crosspipe? Ultimately, I believe the SportCat and exhaust help in the high end and maybe sacrifice some low end, as would be expected, and that’s not needed for a street car. It’s all speculation on my part.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
What I would do differently if I could go back is stick with the OEM exhaust and add the Record Monza (and the Abarth midpipe since I have a Lusso). In fact all I would do are the mods that EC did to their car, keeping it simple. I think @alltimesaresoon has the perfect street car setup.

It’s hard to say that the SportCat provides no benefit, but I just have no data. It’s clearly working well for Brian, the GWR car is a race monster. I think it improved my spool time, but I installed it the same time I installed the crosspipe and exhaust, so how do I know the benefit came from the cat and not the crosspipe? Ultimately, I believe the SportCat and exhaust help in the high end and maybe sacrifice some low end, as would be expected, and that’s not needed for a street car. It’s all speculation on my part.
I gotta agree with you on all points. I did the same as you and installed the whole exhaust at the same time. In fact, I installed almost all my mods too close together to get good data. Looking back, I'd have stuck with the stock exhaust and added the Record Monza as well.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Wish id waited for the record monza too. But the AR resonated has aged well with p3 p and b and turbo upgrade . Its really good.

I may have to do something at some point with cat and crosspipe, as the turbo install left me with a spinny stud in the cat flange to connect crosspipe too.

Its not loud and i dont notice any exhaust, but ill bet it vibrates looser at some point. And i dont want to spend 580 on an oem cat. Hoping i can get a better repair done on the stud to flange.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Wish id waited for the record monza too. But the AR resonated has aged well with p3 p and b and turbo upgrade . Its really good.

I may have to do something at some point with cat and crosspipe, as the turbo install left me with a spinny stud in the cat flange to connect crosspipe too.

Its not loud and i dont notice any exhaust, but ill bet it vibrates looser at some point. And i dont want to spend 580 on an oem cat. Hoping i can get a better repair done on the stud to flange.
I'd just fix it with a bolt with spring washers on bother sides. But I can't remember if there is room to get a wrench on the top side of that cat flange. Would a crow foot work?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Redline Auto Parts had an OEM cat, it’s gone now. I wish I had grabbed it. I’m loving my System One exhaust but wondering if I should have spent the money piecing together another OEM exhaust instead. Unfortunately I have none of the OEM exhaust.

It has crossed my mind to get an Abarth and start over, but one of my dogs just had a very expensive surgery (well worth it).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts