Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear your impressions of top-UP driving in your 124, especially if it's an Abarth.

Specifically, when the top is UP...

• how's the noise level at freeway speeds?
• is the cabin quiet enough to have good Bluetooth sound quality?
• are conversations effortless with your passenger?
• would a long drive be relaxing, with regard to noise?
• does the cabin seem visually dark and cramped when closed?
• are the blind spots irritating?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I'd like to hear your impressions of top-UP driving in your 124, especially if it's an Abarth.

Thanks!
1. Fine
2. Yes. Channels Pandora perfectly via Bluetooth and, with the speaker headrests, it works beautifully top up or down.
3. Yes. And surprisingly good top down too.
4. In my opinion, yes. It's WAAY quieter than our NC MX5. But furthermore...I think I could do long distance top down. It's not an unpleasant place to be top down at 70mph.
5. It's "cosy" LOL
6. A fact of life. Blind spot monitoring is nice to have.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am really surprised by the sound quality of the Bose system. Strangely, the quality was rather poor until I cranked the volume to maximum, then something "clicked". I don't know what it did to the system but now it works fantastically at any volume. Very weird. I'm wondering whether it has something to do with the Bose AudioPilot? Like a calibration of some sort? Who knows... :/

·
Registered
958 Posts
Rather than repeat what RH said, I agree with his analysis.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I am really surprised by the sound quality of the Bose system. Strangely, the quality was rather poor until I cranked the volume to maximum, then something "clicked". I don't know what it did to the system but now it works fantastically at any volume. Very weird. I'm wondering whether it has something to do with the Bose AudioPilot? Like a calibration of some sort? Who knows... :/
So many people complain about the Bose system - so that's mysterious but good to know. If it really does need an initial kick in the pants, perhaps that should be a factory or dealer prep issue.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Also, if you're streaming from your phone, the starting volume on your phone output makes a big difference in audio quality in the Bose system. At least with an Android S6. Aha channels sound very good. Hd radio is good. Xm is so so but that's nothing new. With the right source it is a kicking system.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to RBH58 for the excellent and very encouraging reply.

On one point, I should have been more clear: the Bluetooth sound quality. What I had meant was the sound quality specifically for phone conversations, and in particular with an iPhone.

This has been a problem in the last two cars I've owned, one of which was a Fiat. Apparently, iPhones have problems pairing properly with some car Bluetooth systems, and conversations in my current car Bluetooth are entirely inaudible.

My last Miata NC-PRHT produced so much wind and road noise on the freeway – where I do more than half of my driving – that phone conversations were impossible (that car didn't even have Bluetooth, BTW).

·
Registered
958 Posts
Thanks to RBH58 for the excellent and very encouraging reply.

On one point, I should have been more clear: the Bluetooth sound quality. What I had meant was the sound quality specifically for phone conversations, and in particular with an iPhone.

This has been a problem in the last two cars I've owned, one of which was a Fiat. Apparently, iPhones have problems pairing properly with some car Bluetooth systems, and conversations in my current car Bluetooth are entirely inaudible.

My last Miata NC-PRHT produced so much wind and road noise on the freeway – where I do more than half of my driving – that phone conversations were impossible (that car didn't even have Bluetooth, BTW).
Even at high speed on rough roads the phone conversations are clear with my iPhone through the Bluetooth connection, both ways.:D

·
Registered
476 Posts

Thanks!
top up coming from a hard top chrysler 200 the noise from the top is loud but is way less than any jeep wrangler or Lebanon soft top i have been in, and definitely not bad. top down i think this car is quieter than my 200 was. there was a section of highway that i never bothered with radio or phone conversations in my 200 and that area seems better.

i have had no issue top up or top down(with windows up) making a bluetooth call, actually haven't made tons yet but not once has someone said yet that they can't understand me.

conversations seem ok, maybe a bit harder than the 200 was but ok.

i am good at tuning out the top noise so not sure a long trip would bother me. just becomes a background drone. though large trucks right on top of me make it annoying.

after spending some decent time in the 124 when i get into my other car now it seems way to big. i actually feel like the 124 envelopes me and feel real comfortable in it. i might feel cramped come spring when i pull it out of storage but right now love it. always love the open feeling with the top down and i feel warmer in the 124 over the 200. i am still running it top down at 60 in the sun, never wanted the top down on the 200 with temps under 70.

blind spots not too bothersome but it is the trade off for a convertible. they are more pronounced than the 200 as i still had rear windows on that. blind spot monitoring and good mirror setting helps eliminate that

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
1. Fine
2. Yes. Channels Pandora perfectly via Bluetooth and, with the speaker headrests, it works beautifully top up or down.
3. Yes. And surprisingly good top down too.
4. In my opinion, yes. It's WAAY quieter than our NC MX5. But furthermore...I think I could do long distance top down. It's not an unpleasant place to be top down at 70mph.
5. It's "cosy" LOL
6. A fact of life. Blind spot monitoring is nice to have.
I agree with the above comments. I will add that I have been on several 300 mile trips and a 400 mile trip with the top up/down at speeds of 70-80 mph and I am quite impressed with the quietness and lack of turbulence inside the cabin. ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
No one mentions whether, when they have the top down, they have the windows up. With the windows up and top down, I find the ride very quiet. Easy to listen to music or carry on a conversation at normal tone of voice. Windows down and top down at highway speed, pretty hard to hear music.

·
Registered
114 Posts
With the windows up and top down, I find the ride very quiet.
Agreed, although I tend to find what I can hear most is the HGV I'm stuck in traffic next to or the hooligan in the wannabe trying to get past.

Not going to be having the roof down for some time I feel, its either too cold or too wet.
From page 73 of the owners manual:

• Do not raise or lower the convertible top
    when the temperature is below 41 °F
    (5 °C); this will damage the convertible top
    material.
  • Do not lower the convertible top when
    it's wet. If the convertible top dries while
    folded, it will deteriorate and mold.
How serious a risk is that anyway? I understand the temperature warning is in case the roof is frozen but what about if I've put the roof down when its over 5C and then want to put it back up when I park but its now under 5C? Or its been raining but isn't now and it won't have dried by the time I park up again? Or both?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I tend to disagree. Compared with anything other than a Miata, this is a noisy car - there's no getting around that. it's noisy with top up and down, windows up or down.

Bluetooth phone conversations with top down and windows up at highway speeds are no fun.

I think the high noise makes this a suboptimal car for longer trips.

I wonder if the Abarth version is noisier than the Lusso or Classica due to different tires? My Abarth has had two different tires and they are equally noisy - stock and after market.

But even regardless of the tires, when i start the car up in the garage, with the top up/windows up, I sometimes still think there's a window open because the convertible top just doesn't insulate well compared to other cars.

I like the car, but it's certainly not quiet.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I like it top up or down.
it's not exactly "quiet" but I don't find it noisy either.
apparently we are quieter than Miata's... but I don't know that for fact
I have to say tire noise on the stock tires is WAY better than my wife's Cooper S
she has some weird aftermarket tires, Federal SS595's, that the dealership put on (she bought used), that feel like they are made of rock & are noisy as ****.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
It's a convertible LOL.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I tend to disagree. Compared with anything other than a Miata, this is a noisy car - there's no getting around that. it's noisy with top up and down, windows up or down.

Bluetooth phone conversations with top down and windows up at highway speeds are no fun.

I think the high noise makes this a suboptimal car for longer trips.

I wonder if the Abarth version is noisier than the Lusso or Classica due to different tires? My Abarth has had two different tires and they are equally noisy - stock and after market.

I like the car, but it's certainly not quiet.
After driving a Lusso and an Abarth back to back I found the Abarth was significantly louder due to the exhaust note both at the tail pipe and through the floor pan.

Paul

1 - 20 of 27 Posts