Carplay up and running! - Fiat 124 Spider Forum
 375Likes

post #1 of 523 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Carplay up and running!

So carplay is working well in my 124. Used mazda firmware and got the parts from a mazda dealer. Just waiting for a new Serial TTL adapter as mine is bust before putting it back together.

http://i65.tinypic.com/n16vxc.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	62330  
AnClar, reece146 and Mike34 like this.

Fiat 124 Spider Lusso - White
GFB DV+
EC V1 Air Intake
EC Phase 1 Tune
MATCH M 5DSP - Focal RSE-165 Speakers (active)
Carplay Enabled

Last edited by rsmagee; 08-28-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 523 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 01:49 PM

Garage
For those that want this, I'm happy for you. I have CarPlay in my Charger, and I find it to be totally useless.
Hmurray97 likes this.

2017 FIAT 124 Spider Lusso | EC Phase 2 | EC V4 intake | EC intercooler | EC catch can | Alfa 4C coil packs | GWR RoadsterSport exhaust with SportCat | Forge wastegate actuator | GFB DV+ | PTP Lava turbo blanket | Speedhut boost and IAT gauges | Cravenspeed gauge vent pods | Continental ExtremeContact Sport | Flyin' Miata LBBK
post #3 of 523 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 02:20 PM

Garage
Can you share how you achieved this and what parts you required? Did you upgrade the firmware yourself? Have you retained the ability to "tweak"? What about the Fiat Sat Nav?

So many questions :-)
post #4 of 523 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 02:41 PM

I'm intrigued for the sole ability to use Waze without my phone sliding off my leg every shift...
TeddyK, brett and Sammy124 like this.

- Jonathan

2017 Abarth - Russo with heritage stripe - Recaros - Brembos - Bose Package
Mods: Cat-back un-resonated GWR exhaust - EC v4 intake - EC Intercooler - EC Catch Can - GFB DV+ - Raceseng Circuit Cylinder shift knob - Stubby Antenna - Blackbird Fabworx roll bar - EC Phase 2 tune - 4C coil packs - Brisk spark plugs - Vaitrix boost gauge
post #5 of 523 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 03:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksboy View Post
Can you share how you achieved this and what parts you required? Did you upgrade the firmware yourself? Have you retained the ability to "tweak"? What about the Fiat Sat Nav?

Yes! Please! All of that. Tell us!
Cherryman likes this.
post #6 of 523 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksboy View Post

So I used Mazda firmware from the Mazda3revolution forum. Link

This means my fiat nav card does NOT work anymore and won’t unless Fiat bring out a CarPlay firmware.

The parts are
USB HUB: TK78-66-9U0C
User manual: 4100-77-300ES
USB wires: C830-V6-60Z
You also need some foam tape, will find the part number

I used a guide available from miata.net that was easy to follow. Link
I have lost the ability to tweak but I will use serial access to restore that tomorrow.
sdy likes this.

Fiat 124 Spider Lusso - White
GFB DV+
EC V1 Air Intake
EC Phase 1 Tune
MATCH M 5DSP - Focal RSE-165 Speakers (active)
Carplay Enabled

Last edited by rsmagee; 08-28-2018 at 04:48 PM.
post #7 of 523 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 05:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmagee View Post
...This means my fiat nav card does NOT work anymore and won’t unless Fiat bring out a CarPlay firmware.
Would a Mazda nav card work or is it going to barf on a non-Mazda VIN number?

I like Carplay nav, but it get's a bit ropey out in the booneys with no cellular data. Good to have the onboard system as a backup.

2017 124 Abarth 6MT Forte Black :: Forge Recirculating BOV :: EC stuff - V4.1 Intake, Oil catch can, Intercooler :: Tork Stage 1 Tune :: PTP Turbo Blanket :: Alfa 4C Coils :: Flyin’ Miata Fox Coilovers :: Complete collection of incredibly overpriced OEM alcantara trim pieces :: Ameridan's fabulous ICE tweaks :: SoundDeadenerShowdown CLD tiles in trunk :: SigmaKore ceramic coating :: CarPlay / Android Auto upgrade :: Moss Miata door bushings :: 6UL Wheels 17*8 :: Conti ECS 215*45
post #8 of 523 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 06:21 PM

Garage
Thanks for the description - need to decide if CarPlay is worth the effort.
post #9 of 523 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 06:35 PM

For those based in North America then I believe at present you have to wait as there is not a North America firmware available yet. However for those in other geographies you can, at your own risk, use the appropriate MX-5/Mazda firmware. Do NOT try to use a firmware from a different geography...

The parts listed above for the hub and cables etc should work irrespective of geography. Please do read the installation guide carefully as there is a preferred order and set of steps you should follow. If you use the Mazda firmware you will lose your navigation (however you now have Carplay so it shouldn't be a major issue). While I don't have formal confirmation I do not believe you can use a Mazda Nav Card as the VINs won't match but I am not aware of anyone having actually tried this yet.

Unless you are a trail blazer or happy with the risk I would recommend people wait for Fiat to launch a firmware, and if you are asking when will this be then the answer is we don't know yet, but go and contact Fiat via their website, Facebook, Twitter etc and keep asking them.....

Congrats to OP, he is the second one I am aware of that has updated their 124.

TheSalamander
Mike34 likes this.

2006 MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Stormy Blue - SOLD (Australia)
2011 CX-9 GT - light blue (USA)
2019 124 Abarth (USA) - White, Manual, Recaro, Brembo, Veleno Appearance, Visibility, Navigation & Sound, Convenience, Record Monza Exhaust.
Mods: chrome Abarth badges, CarPlay, GENK80A frameless mirror, PTP Turbo Blanket, EC P1-P2 tune, EC V4 intake, EC Intercooler, EC Oil Catch Can, Forge recirculating BOV, alcantara bits, red door piping, led bulb conversion, stubby, MX5Things stuff!
post #10 of 523 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 09:17 PM

I’ve just noticed a couple of updates on the Miata forum and mazda3revolution forum that indicate the US firmware will be available from Sept 1st and that there are 8000 updated hubs/cables in the North America for the dealers.

If you are looking to do the update yourself then carefully read the instructions by ASH8 that are linked in the earlier post on this thread. Also be sure you have the correct version of the cables and hubs as some earlier and/or China specific ones have been available which do not work on non-China cars.

Remember that the Mazda firmware will be required until Fiat release their one. The impact of this is the loss of the use of the Fiat navigation SD card.
Fernando Cabrera likes this.

2006 MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Stormy Blue - SOLD (Australia)
2011 CX-9 GT - light blue (USA)
2019 124 Abarth (USA) - White, Manual, Recaro, Brembo, Veleno Appearance, Visibility, Navigation & Sound, Convenience, Record Monza Exhaust.
Mods: chrome Abarth badges, CarPlay, GENK80A frameless mirror, PTP Turbo Blanket, EC P1-P2 tune, EC V4 intake, EC Intercooler, EC Oil Catch Can, Forge recirculating BOV, alcantara bits, red door piping, led bulb conversion, stubby, MX5Things stuff!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fiat 124 Spider Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page