Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
... The manufacturers of the stock tires sure weren't kidding when they labelled them as 3 season.

That's for sure: when I picked up my car last winter, the roads were dry, and temps moderate. About 20 miles left and it started to snow. as long as the car maintained velocity it was fine. increase speed was bad, trying to stop was bad, trying to steer was bad.

I'd like to drive in the winter, and by all accounts with good snow tires it should be ok. But which ones to get? The Blizzaks seem to be the 'go to' tires, but I note that there are different versions (LM60, WS70, WS80?). Anyone have any input on that? It appears that WS80 should be the better choice, but Tire Rack 'only' has Run flat LM60s (205/45R17)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I plan to drive all winter once it gets too cold for the motorcycle. Based in Seattle area.

I have added a set of Grand Touring All Season tires with emphasis on cold, wet weather, and clear bra.

We only get snow a few times a year (maybe two weeks or so), and on those days the main challenge will be getting up the hill to exit my neighborhood. Or I just work from home those days.

We will see how it goes. I wonder if I'll get tired of the noise and lack of insulation. If that's the case, I'll keep it for a year or two and trade it for a Golf R.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
That's for sure: when I picked up my car last winter, the roads were dry, and temps moderate. About 20 miles left and it started to snow. as long as the car maintained velocity it was fine. increase speed was bad, trying to stop was bad, trying to steer was bad.

I'd like to drive in the winter, and by all accounts with good snow tires it should be ok. But which ones to get? The Blizzaks seem to be the 'go to' tires, but I note that there are different versions (LM60, WS70, WS80?). Anyone have any input on that? It appears that WS80 should be the better choice, but Tire Rack 'only' has Run flat LM60s (205/45R17)
If you don't mind getting a second set of rims, drop down a size to 16", go with 195-50-R16 and the WS80's are available - I picked up a set yesterday from Tire Rack. That's the standard size tire size on the Classica and the narrower aspect should do better in snow.

I figured the cost of the extra rims would be offset by not having to pay to have the tires remounted each winter and spring, and the fact I can sell them if / when I get rid of the car - should break even after three years I reckon.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
So no problems fitting 16" rims on the Abarth brakes (Non Brembo) then?

Cool.
Since the 'base' model has 16" rims, and the brakes are the same, it should not be a problem.

Personally, I think I'd put snow tires on the Abarth rims, and then get a nice summer set of wheels (17x8 lots of options).

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
So no problems fitting 16" rims on the Abarth brakes (Non Brembo) then?

Cool.
Presumably - I got mine from Tire Rack and the selection filters did include a question as to whether I had the standard or Brembo brakes (I have standard). They're sitting in a corner of the garage right now, I'm going to test them this weekend.

Reactions: tlrominger

·
Registered
47 Posts
I will be driving mine all winter. We only average about 1 big snowfall a year. So I will worry about it when I get snowed in!

·
Registered
243 Posts
If it's not snowing, a convertible can be pretty warm if you crank up the heater and turn on the butt warmer. It's like a bubble of warmth when you're on the move.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Presumably - I got mine from Tire Rack and the selection filters did include a question as to whether I had the standard or Brembo brakes (I have standard). They're sitting in a corner of the garage right now, I'm going to test them this weekend.
My set also came from tire rack. They fit perfect on the test mount. Probably about a month before they become a permanent thing

·
Registered
130 Posts
As much as it’s going to kill me, I’m going to put mine away for the Winter. Connecticut puts too many chemicals on the road.
I agree, between the snow, the road salt and the winter potholes, Northeast winter conditions are no place for my baby. My Lola has been in storage since December and she will not hit the road until the temps consistently get above 50!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I agree, between the snow, the road salt and the winter potholes, Northeast winter conditions are no place for my baby. My Lola has been in storage since December and she will not hit the road until the temps consistently get above 50!
I can't stand the waiting too much longer!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I think there are two separate issues in people's mind when discussing driving the 124 in Winter. One is safety and comfort, the other is vehicle cosmetics. Heaters and winter tires take care of the former, but there isn't much to address the latter in parts of the country.

I'm with you. I didn't buy the car as a daily driver. It's a toy, and the Midwest (or NE) sludge and grime is no place to play with it. There is no way to keep a car looking decent in those conditions. I'd say, over 40 degrees and 100% dry, clear roads. Other than that and it's in the garage.

Reactions: Seagas

·
Registered
625 Posts
I can't stand the waiting too much longer!
I can't stand it much longer either, but I have a massive snow bank in front of the shelter I have it stored in. After yesterday's melt, it is about 4 feet high and 15 feet deep. The bottom foot of it is solid ice! Hopefully, next week's warm up will knock it down a bit.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hopefully, next week's warm up will knock it down a bit.
Good luck with that! The only thing blocking mine is the snowblower and that's easily moved.

D

·
0 Posts
I live in Vancouver BC, I will be driving it all year. We don't get much snow at all in metro vancouver but it is VERY rainy. Unless you drive an exotic, I don't ( personally) get the point of storing a car for 6 months of the year. If you wash your car regularly, I dont see a problem. I grew up in Alberta where we got tons of snow ( and -25 degrees on a regular basis in winter) and I drove my 500 Abarth all year. Slapped on some winter tires and gave it a good wash once a week.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don’t intend on ever introducing my 124 to salt. Lifestyles change and someday I may have to drive it in the winter. Now, the 124 hasn’t seen the treatment all my other cars get and that is a product called No-Ox ID A special. It’s intended purpose is to line the inside of water towers to prevent the bare steel from rusting. It is heated to above 150 degrees and poured into mineral spirits to make a very low viscosity liquid capable of spraying on all the underside of the cars.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts