Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
For 3 years, I drove my NA Miata during my student years in Boston.
0:)
It always behaved very bravely in the snow! (don't remember if it had ABS, for sure no ESP).
I can remember a trip to a rave in Maine...
The 124 will behave better!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Goes very nice in snow and ice, because ESP is so good. Fun starts when taking that off :D I have those "retro wheels" in winter tires because snow is easier to take off from those. Internal heating is not any issue and now Defa has made engine heating system to Spider also (engine pre-heating)

Winterspider

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'll drive mine in winter but winter in North Carolina isn't quite like winter above the Mason/Dixon line. I'm originally from Chicago so I know winter and salt, it played havoc with my old Fiat Brava and X1/9. The Brava was great in snow though. I remember at the turn of the century I had to go into work on New Years day for an emergency and I had a Triumph TR8 at the time, it was about 75*f (24*C to the rest of the world) driving with my top down thinking this is unbelievable. I just wasn't use to that. In Chicago we had 25 inches (635mm) :) of snow the first week of January one winter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I thought I had put it away for the Winter but it was such a nice day today (North Idaho) that I drove to town and back with the roof down. Surprisingly only one jerk in a truck tried to cut me off (there are a lot or 'em here.) But that might be our last outing this year. The weather is going to turn nasty next week but if it's rain rather than snow I might wash her and let the nice soft rain do the final rinse.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I spaketh too soon. Freezing here last night but today was beautiful (but short). I had to take a water sample into town so I took IDSPIDY. They have started putting brine on the roads but I decided to heck with it. I'm pushing 72 so I might as well enjoy the car while I am still capable of getting in and out of it :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm driving mine through the winter in Wisconsin. I'm getting a set a blizzaks on my stock wheels, which are going to become my "winter set", and I'm using my 6uls with star spec tires for the summers. I got the luxury package, so I should be able to keep warm with the heated seat. I got an unlimited touchless carwash (with underbody flush) deal at a local gas station, so I'll be going through there a couple times a week to keep the salt off.

Having driven Miatas in the winter with snow tires for the past couple winters, trust me when I say that driving a rwd car in the snow is one of the most fun experiences you'll have with your car... especially when you have an LSD.

Enjoy!

Edit: Also don't forget to get some weathertech or similar floor mats to keep the winter crap from pooling on the floor.
I’m keeping my Classica on the road, but here in upstate NY, salt is liberally applied and doesn’t really wash away until spring. So I avoid driving on days when the roads are wet and salty. That’s kind of a lot. On dry days, however, I’ve been out with the top down when the temp outside is below freezing. It gets looks, but it’s a riot to drive. By the way, the car gives me no trouble if it sits unused for two weeks at a time. Starts up fine and I make sure to drive it for a while at operating temp before it goes back in the garage. These cars like to be driven.

·
Registered
99 Posts
NYC here (Brooklyn) and Jersey Shore.
My Gina is a 12 month on the go.
Daily driver. Have all seasons and live driving her.

·
Registered
56 Posts
so you all recommend blizzaks?
I don't have them on the 124 but I have had them on other RWD vehicles. They did work well but they wear quite quickly on dry roads. Depending on road conditions where you live you might only get two seasons out of them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't have them on the 124 but I have had them on other RWD vehicles. They did work well but they wear quite quickly on dry roads. Depending on road conditions where you live you might only get two seasons out of them.
This far its been not horrible (knock on wood), but they would be winter only. but maybe 4 or 5 small snows a year.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Mine is a daily driver. Being retired If the weather is bad or the roads are still salty wet, I just don’t go anywhere. I still use the OE summer tires. I just take it easy when it’s cold. Braking seems fine. Just a little tire slip when accelerating moderately hard while turning onto a road from a stop.

I bought a ski condo out west and was thinking about buying an all wheel drive vehicle, but I think I’ll just buy snow tires, maybe studded. I love driving this car that much.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts